talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Boxing

football forum

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Joshua v Parker predictions? I've done Joshua between 4 and 6.

On the undercard, also had a bet on Povetkin to beat Price in the first round. 

For me the only person on Joshua's level in this division is (or was) Tyson Fury, so I've got Joshua but probably later than 6.

Parker looks good and seems very at ease, but then he is the underdog here. I don't put much faith in his supposed 'granite chin', Joshua's power will trouble anyone He has to be on the front foot quickly to have any chance. 

I'm hoping Price doesn't get badly hurt against Povetkin too.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

I still can't believe Price is going in with Povetkin a truly dangerous mismatch. I saw the head to head yesterday and it's mental how big Price is, but Povetkin KO is the only outcome. I hope Price lets his hands go, he's going to gas after 3 rounds so he needs to let his hands go and hope he lands a lucky shot. Price fights are always interesting because there's the 'what if' Price does land that right hand. Anyway, it'll still be Povetkin KO.

Joshua KO as well mid-rounds. I think Parker can make Joshua miss and can land punches himself as he has the faster hand speed, but he doesn't have enough power to trouble Joshua and at some point Joshua will land a few combinations clean and end it. Remember, Parker struggled past Hughie Fury and arguably even lost the fight! He also only beat Ruiz on a MD

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Marc said:

I still can't believe Price is going in with Povetkin a truly dangerous mismatch. I saw the head to head yesterday and it's mental how big Price is, but Povetkin KO is the only outcome. I hope Price lets his hands go, he's going to gas after 3 rounds so he needs to let his hands go and hope he lands a lucky shot. Price fights are always interesting because there's the 'what if' Price does land that right hand. Anyway, it'll still be Povetkin KO.

Joshua KO as well mid-rounds. I think Parker can make Joshua miss and can land punches himself as he has the faster hand speed, but he doesn't have enough power to trouble Joshua and at some point Joshua will land a few combinations clean and end it. Remember, Parker struggled past Hughie Fury and arguably even lost the fight! He also only beat Ruiz on a MD

The sooner these fights happen, the sooner the excitement in the heavyweight division will dry up. You mentioned Parker there, you then have Wilder being troubled by Molina and nearly getting KOed by Ortiz an then being saved by the bell. If he was in there with say Dillian Whyte it would have ended differently I feel.

You look at AJ and one of the biggest names in this division in Whyte, he dealt with fairly comfortably even if Whyte landed a couple. It's a shame Klitschko's reign has ended as him, Fury and AJ could have really lit things up. Now it's going to be down to Fury and AJ imo.

Edited by Danny

7 hours ago, Marc said:

Just watched the full fight between Parker and Fury and oh my the commentary was badly biased towards Fury. Great footwork but not a lot of punching output.

Good effort from Price that. Might be strange to say after he's just been stopped in five but that's as good as he's looked for a while. I feel he let Povetkin off the hook in the fourth after having him hurt at the end of the third round though. Brutal finish from Povetkin

• Upvote 1

I actually don’t mind watching some boxing but the sport as a whole is 95% fucking nonsense.

Blatantly biased coverage and commentary, star fighters evidently being built up as cash cows for broadcasters, cunts in bathrobes standing in the middle of some sparklers, a fucking 7-minute exposition of the national anthems of Oceania.

Who can be arsed man.

Comfortable win for Joshua in the end, thought he negated Parker's rangey punches really well considering he's a big boy. Saw in the Fury fight that Parker isn't afraid of releasing one of those winding hits and Parker struggled to make contact with them.

Ref was shocking, Parkers the smaller man so needs to fight on the inside and AJ's strength is in his hooks and upper cuts, doesn't have the speed for those rangey shots.

Joshua's also answered the critics with his engine, barely looked tired though he did lose that initial sharpness in speed in the opening rounds. Hopefully he can fight Wilder next and if he wins we'll see the biggest heavyweight match up boxing has had in years.

• Subscriber

Have to agree. I watch boxing in the Olympics as it may lack the top athletes and therefore the quality but without all the shite it's actually an enjoyable sport I can appreciate.

All the shit talking and squaring up at weigh ins and stuff is embarrassing really. Odd that not many people take the piss out of grown men pretending to act like hormonal 13 year olds trying to act hard in front of their mates in the playground for the benefit of the press looking for footage for their previews. How much stick do footballers get for play acting like that?

Also is there any reason fight organisers and managers and stuff don't seem to get much flack for taking millions of pounds from a sport when they offer next to no expertise to it, like agents do in football?

I actually enjoyed last nights, it wasn't a classic but had some interesting points.

Joshua deservedly won, he controlled the fight and Parker never had any sustained pressure. Neither boxer were ever in serious trouble and I think Parker can takr positives, if he keeps winning and improving i can see future rematch. Hopefully with a better referee.

Good night for Joshua, done 12 rounds and never looked in trouble or particularly tired. He's not going to knock out everyone. I'd like to see him fight Povetkin if Wilder does not happen.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

As a non boxing fanatic, what happens now?

Last week, Dillian Whyte was calling out Wilder. Eddie Hearn seemed keen to make that fight.

Last night, AJ called out Wilder and Fury.

Is it likely Wilder and Joshua now fight? Or will Whyte fight Wilder and then the winner take on Joshua? With Joshua possibly fighting Fury before?

It's all so confusing...

53 minutes ago, Lucas said:

As a non boxing fanatic, what happens now?

Last week, Dillian Whyte was calling out Wilder. Eddie Hearn seemed keen to make that fight.

Last night, AJ called out Wilder and Fury.

Is it likely Wilder and Joshua now fight? Or will Whyte fight Wilder and then the winner take on Joshua? With Joshua possibly fighting Fury before?

It's all so confusing...

Fury will need a warm up fight or two, been out of the ring for way too long. The most logical thing to do with the fight from both sides is have Joshua fight an American heavyweight in the States and then have Wilder fight Whyte at the 02, then Joshua and Wilder have a mega fight at the end of 2018. Though I think that's a bit dangerous for Wilder and personally see Whyte beating him, so he probably just wants to fight Joshua first and then take everything after that.

Joshua would want to fight Whyte in an all British heavyweight unification fight as it'd make history, plus I don't think Joshua actually rates Wilder that much and looking at what Molina and Ortiz did to him, I think AJ will win that comfortably. But Wilder isn't accepting anything other than Joshua and whilst his team haven't made any offers yet, it'll come down to those two I think. But if Wilder wants more money out of it which I think may have been an issue (I believe Wilder has made something like $2m from a single fight whereas AJ is getting £15m+ for each now) then the only way he'll get that is by fighting Whyte and building his reputation. Heavyweight boxing is dominated by Britain now and the money is all over here, and I think most British fans din't rate Wilder that much compared to AJ, so he'd need a big performance against someone like Whyte to improve his split of the AJ fight.

What heavyweight boxing really needs is AJ to come through Wilder, unify the entire division and then have what would be the biggest fight in years against Tyson Fury.

• Upvote 1

• The topic was unpinned