• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL Round 12 Fixtures - 18-20th October, 2022

football forum

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2-0 to Fulham

Penalty due to Mitrovic smashing the ball off fully fit Matty Cash's naturally positioned arm as he lunged to block the cross.

And Martinez nearly saved, but weirdly bounced diagonally backwards to the opposite corner.

It was easier as a penniless club playing 5 or 6 home grown players & cheap French imports.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Douglas Luiz sent off.. for chesting up to an agro seeking Mitrovic, who collapsed like Tyson Fury had just smacked him 1.

I am increasingly certain Villa are going back down & Gerrard will be gone before it's confirmed.

Very surprised Oliver still gave it after looking at it. There was no headbutting or anything. Maybe a yellow, if that, at best. 

1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Douglas Luiz sent off.. for chesting up to an agro seeking Mitrovic, who collapsed like Tyson Fury had just smacked him 1.

I am increasingly certain Villa are going back down & Gerrard will be gone before it's confirmed.

That was worse than that Palace player with Nunez - at least that was an actual headbutt. There's no headbutt at all there.

Awful decision & awful precedent set by the officials (although it's FA precedent, so this might be the one time it happens and never again).

Gerrard's getting the sack ASAP for sure.

• Subscriber

Starting to look like Southampton, Villa, Everton, Leeds, Bournemouth, Leicester, Forest, Wolves and possibly still Fulham and West Ham are your list of teams who are an injury crisis or an unlucky patch away from ending up in serious relegation trouble with Forest the only side I'd say clearly worse off than the rest.

7-10th to be filled by Newcastle, Brighton, Brentford and Palace in my opinion. Although Brighton haven't made the best start after changing manager, they could slip into the bottom half and be replaced by someone like West Ham.

That was absolutely shit.

Two things I take from this. Leicester have won a game of football without Meslier having to make a save and we've lost a game to a team in poor form whilst looking even worse.

I 100% called it when I said earlier in the thread Leeds would do this. Knew it.

Don't mean for this to sound bitter but I am being straight, Leicester weren't much cop at all. This will only paper over cracks for them. They started sluggish, never really did much in attack bar when we gave the ball away playing out the back as if we're prime AC Milan, so they haven't done a lot to win a game.

Totally get we've not done worked Ward much either, bar Sinisterra hitting the bar and fluffing several promising positions but it's another example where we've shown some initial promise then shot ourselves in the foot and let the game get away from us.

First goal is a joke, giving the ball away like that and ending with an OG.

Again, try to come back, hit the bar, minute later, second goal, Firpo is AWOL at left back and Leicester play one ball into space to exploit it. Nice finish from their point of view but from ours, one person being miles out of position has cost us when we were showing signs of coming back.

Second half, complete non event. Marsch proved he bollocked the line up from the start by bringing on Cooper and Harrison and what worries me is if he actually has a fucking clue.

None of his subs make an impact attack wise, Bamford is clearly nowhere near fit and Joe Gelhardt stays rooted to the bench every game till 10mins and gets a chance if he's lucky.

I feel totally dispondant with this club at the moment. I can't warm to the manager, I can't warm to half the squad, I hate the way we give away dead easy goals, and I'm deflated we can't score.

It feels like every little thing at the moment either goes against us or we get punished for it. That's just how it is.

Honestly, if we cannot beat an abject Aston Villa, a limp Leicester, what does that say about us? I thought we looked good enough on paper to be ok and other performances backed that up but we aren't getting points, goals and we've got some absolute horror fixtures to come.

Bang in trouble unless I see a change in fortunes.

• Subscriber

Strange game. Don't think we looked particularly good (both teams poor) but think we did at least demonstrate some backbone for the first time in a while. Faes has been MOTM for me two games running which is very encouraging. I also have to give credit to Danny Ward who I thought had probably his best game for us.

Leeds full of huff and puff but absolutely sod all quality in that side. They're in real bother I think.

I'm not fooled but it's nice to ease a worry again slightly, and again, put those twats bottom. Does mean Rodgers has until the World Cup though I think annoyingly.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Lucas said:

That was absolutely shit.

Two things I take from this. Leicester have won a game of football without Meslier having to make a save and we've lost a game to a team in poor form whilst looking even worse.

I 100% called it when I said earlier in the thread Leeds would do this. Knew it.

Don't mean for this to sound bitter but I am being straight, Leicester weren't much cop at all. This will only paper over cracks for them. They started sluggish, never really did much in attack bar when we gave the ball away playing out the back as if we're prime AC Milan, so they haven't done a lot to win a game.

Totally get we've not done worked Ward much either, bar Sinisterra hitting the bar and fluffing several promising positions but it's another example where we've shown some initial promise then shot ourselves in the foot and let the game get away from us.

First goal is a joke, giving the ball away like that and ending with an OG.

Again, try to come back, hit the bar, minute later, second goal, Firpo is AWOL at left back and Leicester play one ball into space to exploit it. Nice finish from their point of view but from ours, one person being miles out of position has cost us when we were showing signs of coming back.

Second half, complete non event. Marsch proved he bollocked the line up from the start by bringing on Cooper and Harrison and what worries me is if he actually has a fucking clue.

None of his subs make an impact attack wise, Bamford is clearly nowhere near fit and Joe Gelhardt stays rooted to the bench every game till 10mins and gets a chance if he's lucky.

I feel totally dispondant with this club at the moment. I can't warm to the manager, I can't warm to half the squad, I hate the way we give away dead easy goals, and I'm deflated we can't score.

It feels like every little thing at the moment either goes against us or we get punished for it. That's just how it is.

Honestly, if we cannot beat an abject Aston Villa, a limp Leicester, what does that say about us? I thought we looked good enough on paper to be ok and other performances backed that up but we aren't getting points, goals and we've got some absolute horror fixtures to come.

Bang in trouble unless I see a change in fortunes.

I think Leeds post Bielsa was a bit of a poisoned chalice. I don't know if you agree but I really don't think it's a good side at all, one of the worst three in the league I'd say along with Forest and Bournemouth, a squad that ultimately Bielsa's methods got more out of the sum of their parts. Following him was always going to be tough. You had to be special to be popular after him and I'm not sure Marsch is - definitely not got the fans on side based on the videos I was watching tonight. I couldn't really fault your effort but there was just zero quality. It felt like a roided up Championship side.

Don't get me wrong I agree with your assessment on us. We weren't good. We're firmly in the mix. We had to win that. Wolves A, Man City H, Everton A, West Ham A, four fixtures we won't be favourites for with the bookies (though I deem Wolves very beatable) before the World Cup. If we didn't win tonight we were in huge bother.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Lucas said:

Not bitter at all. It's right! We weren't that great, but I'd say we just got the job done. 

Not entertaining barring a couple of moments, but I feel like once we knew we had control of the game, we didn't bother trying to force it. We were very wasteful in possession too. 

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Starting to look like Southampton, Villa, Everton, Leeds, Bournemouth, Leicester, Forest, Wolves and possibly still Fulham and West Ham are your list of teams who are an injury crisis or an unlucky patch away from ending up in serious relegation trouble with Forest the only side I'd say clearly worse off than the rest.

7-10th to be filled by Newcastle, Brighton, Brentford and Palace in my opinion. Although Brighton haven't made the best start after changing manager, they could slip into the bottom half and be replaced by someone like West Ham.

I think west ham and fulham are fine and still think Leicester, villa and Everton will claw out of it.  

Leeds after a strong mini start are back to Leeds, conceding 2 a game

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

Leeds weren't ever that good were they really, it's just one game against Chelsea which appears a bit of a freak and didn't Mendy pretty much throw them that game himself?

Stan is right that it was just a not pretty, got the job done result. While it shouldn't bowl anyone over we've been particularly bad at exactly that. I can't lie though it took until the 89th minute for me to think we'd definitely win. We've got some damage to undo xD

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I think west ham and fulham are fine and still think Leicester, villa and Everton will claw out of it.  

Leeds after a strong mini start are back to Leeds, conceding 2 a game

West Ham the only one I'm confident are fine. They've been quite unlucky a few times this season I think. They'll be OK.

Fulham making a far better fist of it than usual but still not totally sold on them. There's this tendency and it's hard to avoid but every year teams get written off way too early, but on the flip side they get deemed safe too early as well. Fulham allow more chances against them than anyone else in the league by a mile (even us!). They are a good team going forward and that may do it but I'm not quite deeming them out of this yet. I still think we should be finishing above them.

Archived