talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup FINAL - Argentina (p) 3-3 France - Sunday 18th December, 2022

football forum

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greatest final of all time, both superstars turned up and lit up the game as well.

Yet I was left soured by the fact it was made to look like the players played for Messi rather than Argentina. It was madness.

Also why did it take nearly an hour to lift the trophy, surely even the crowds in Argentina had slightly calmed due to the delay.

Then to top it all they planted a robe on him and Infantino guided Messi via his arse to the podium.

They may as well have asked all the Argie players to leave the stand and let Messi do it alone. 

Congratulations to Argentina, what a game that was. For me France came back but I felt that they lost it in the first half by going 2 goals down.

For me Diego is thill the greatest but I have to change on the Messi vs Ronaldo debate and put Messi as the greatest of his generation.

Well done to Qatar for hosting a belting World Cup.

Argentina Fifa World Cup 2022 Winner: FIFA World Cup Final 2022 Argentina  vs France Live: Argentina win World Cup on penalties, Argentina 4-2 France  - The Economic Times

Just now, Reluctant Striker said:

Kind of wonder how many & how badly some of the France players had the virus that was being reported.

Kind of a flip of their 1st win in 1998. The Original Ronaldo initially left out. But then did play. And emphatically lost to the slightly lesser fancied winners.

Wonder if it was the players starting who had? I think they said the 2 cb's and they looked slow and sluggish.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I don’t know about that, Pele still won three WCs, and Maradona was Maradona.He definitely beats Cristiano though

Most common argument against Messi being the greatest was: he’s never won anything internationally.

Then Argentina won the Copa America. And the goalposts shifted to “he’s never won the World Cup” - now that’s over now.

Messi’s record at the club level is absolutely incredible. Both with Barca as a club & individual stats. Now he’s got the Copa America & World Cup. Not as many as Pelé or Maradona, or other several players… but it’s a different time and his career is phenomenal no matter how you slice it. And he’s got the international trophies on his resume too.

There can ALWAYS be debate, especially because with Pelé, Maradona & Messi it’s different eras… but a lot of the “typical” arguments against Messi are gone now.

33 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Real question is, how do you go from that to Crystal Palace v Fulham next week?

I'm quite often a bit like that after the world cup. I know club football is better but the world cup is special. Will be even harder this time as it was probably the best world cup simce 1998 at least in terms of entertainment and drama.

I actually think most players would rather win the world cup than anything. The way you hear them talk about it gives that impression to me. 

Archived