talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL Round 17 Fixtures - 26-28th December, 2022

football forum

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Dan said:

If this were the case I'd be more forgiving!

I'll take this back as I had it in my head, on the basis of somebody I'll never trust again that you'd only won one away game before that and I've no idea why. It sums up how much the World Cup has thrown me that I'd forgotten you mauling Fulham and Southampton away.

That's the level we look to be now. A sorry reflection of the decline of the recruitment and the general attitude at the club. I'd still get rid of Rodgers.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
15 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Kind of surprised Leicester didn't get rid of Brendan Rodgers & get someone in, like Tuchel perhaps, or whoever. Ok, they had improved from 20th, but they are where they are. And that still seems far removed from expectations. It's a frustrating place to be when most other fans think you're doing well..

But it is crazy Newcastle are doing what they are doing. With many sides still not really fully expecting it. With Eddie Howe & not having gone crazy with transfers yet. They just have done some. For a change. And equally that it looks like Leicesters bubble has well & truly burst as dramatically as it seems to have done.

Of the other 18 sides, there are an increasing number of sides expecting Top 4 style opponents vs Newcastle & an increasing number seeing Leicester as a possible winnable match.

If I was pulling for Leicester I imagine I'd be quite disappointed the manager is still there & wanting to hear what keeper is being belatedly brought in when the transfer window opens (if he's at fault again today)

I think today sums up the level of coaching difference between the two. Their side really isn't much better, if at all than what we put out. But the difference in application, organisation, fitness, just everything fundamental was night and day. Howe's improved as a manager, Rodgers has stagnated and does so because he successfully pulls the wool over peoples eyes.

He won't be sacked anytime soon but he needs to go in the summer. We are still drastically underachieving.

The last two defeats have been really difficult to take. The fixture run we had presented a brilliant opportunity to catapult ourselves in to the top seven before a horrendous run of fixtures would inevitably even us out to 9th/12th. The manner of the last two defeats against Forest and Fulham have been completely unacceptable.

We are currently six points ahead of 18th with the following fixtures from 1st Jan to 1st April: Tottenham, Chelsea, Newcastle, Manchester United, Brighton, Brentford, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Manchester City, Arsenal, Leicester. Wed be lucky to get seven points.

Then we have the dreaded task of playing the likes of Wolves, Southampton, Forest, Everton etc in the last month of the season when they're all desperately focused on scrambling as many points as possible.

I don't think we will go down but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if Patrick Vieria's comes under serious pressure in the second half of the season. I'm not sure if that's necessarily fair given he was let down by the recruitment team this summer but the in game decisions made by him and Roberts hasn't improved for a significant period of time now. 

Not a fun period ahead for us and this season will go down as a wasted opportunity.

• Subscriber

Tielemans blows hot and cold and he was so bad earlier I had a feeling of I really wouldn't be that arsed if he went. But then I do also remember the amount of games where he's produced the magic to put us ahead. He put us ahead in tight games at both Wolves and Everton with absolute wondergoals and we ended up winning both.

I think for us to ever be competitive we can't be too scared of losing players. There was a point not too long ago where we sold Maguire for massive money and arguably improved defensively. We're a farcry now. I think if you take Maddison out of this side it's relegation fodder. The fact we're as low down in the table as we are, with him playing as well as he has done is a sad incitment. He's carried us for over a year now. If we sell him in January I think we're in serious danger of dropping again. As it is now I think we'll bail ourselves out of enough games by virtue of the quality he brings.

In 8 home games this season we accumulated 5.2 expected goals. We've failed to score in 4 of them.

2022 passes and unless we win at Anfield (hint: we won't) we didn't beat a single decent side all year. The good times have definitely passed. I'm glad we had a cup to show for it.

11 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Liverpool signed Gapko, man United is a new comedy central 

Another attack on United based on lazy journalism linking United to 100's of players. Pretty sad how obsessed you are.

Just because a player is linked to United in the media doesn't mean were in for him.

We're after a CF. Guess what, he's not a CF. If you followed and read up about football more than just read the shite written to sell papers you'd know this. You'd also know we have at least 5 players fighting for two spots already.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I still think on paper you’re too good to go down (although that doesn’t always matter)… and I’m not convinced Fat Frank’s the right man for Everton (I wasn’t when he joined and I’m still not - I think it’s a big job even for a very experienced manager).

But do you think Frank getting the axe is inevitable? Or will they give him a chance to turn things around unless it looks too desperate?

I think Everton are caught between a rock and a hard place tbh. In order to look more appealing to more appealing managers, I think your lot need to not look like they’ll just cut and run on a manager at a whim tbh. Otherwise you’ll be getting people who aren’t yet ready for the job and willing to take a chance on a club that chews up and spits out managers. On the other hand, sticking with Frank might be just a one way road to nowhere.

Every bluenose I know like you has either become disinterested as fuck in the club or letting the club bring them to weird depression. I suppose it’s what years of shit ownership that throws money at problems before having a sound plan does… but it’s not good.

Like don’t get me wrong, I’m a Liverpool fan, I think it’s funny to an extent. But it’s not good for football for Everton to keep struggling for decades, they’re one of the countries biggest clubs. It’s not good for the city either imo. Liverpool as a city has come a long way since when I was a kid & honestly I think the new Everton stadium thing, while it’s a bit sad in a historical context to lose Woodison, is genuinely brilliant for the city. It revitalises a part of the city that needs revitalization.

Moshiri was meant to bring a positive change to Everton on a football sense & I think overall it’s better for football… and Merseyside generally… if Liverpool & Everton are both good sides. I think it’s certainly been good for Manchester having City be good and invest a lot in the city.

Rivalry aside and just from a context of me caring about family, friends, & the place I’m from… it’s just sad to see so many Evertonians see not just the soul - but the life - being sucked from the club.

Yeah I feel the same as them. I wasn't remotely arsed about missing the game yesterday.

I don't know about Lampard. He should be getting more out of this set of players but I honestly can't see it making any difference getting rid of him. The only manager I can think of who might be good for a couple of years of damage limitation while we wait for the owner to sell to someone with a scintilla of competence is Dyche. It really is a game now of just treading water and trying to stay up until some external factor causes a total overhaul of the club is run.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

To be followed by the 'well we wouldn't have won the xyz cup without him and his ummmm.... workrate and dressingroom banter.'

Up there with the ‘Firmino is the most important player in our system’

4 hours ago, Devil said:

Another attack on United based on lazy journalism linking United to 100's of players. Pretty sad how obsessed you are.

Just because a player is linked to United in the media doesn't mean were in for him.

We're after a CF. Guess what, he's not a CF. If you followed and read up about football more than just read the shite written to sell papers you'd know this. You'd also know we have at least 5 players fighting for two spots already.

Messi signs new PSG contract……

uNiteD lOsT oUt aGaIn mEgALolZ

24 minutes ago, Devil said:

Zakaria has been highly rated in the past and looking at him he has all the attributes to be a top player. 

Why hasn't he played very often?

Because apparently he came extremely unfit. This was noted by both Tuchel and Potter. 

Read somewhere that given his prior knee injury, it takes a while for him to get back to match fitness. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived