Jump to content
talkfootball365

How Will The Premier League Teams Do In The Champions League This Season?


Recommended Posts

Who would you say has the most chance at winning it? is it not realistic for a PL team to be in contention to win it yet? I guess whoever has the best depth will be in the best position. Due to the style of play in the PL people use that as why european success is always harder to come by.

thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

can't see an English team winning it. Barca/Juve/Real/PSG/Atletico/Bayern are stronger than all English teams right now. Maybe Dortmund too. 

Man City or Chelsea might be the closest to coming to winning it. Maybe reach the quarters but that's it. Don't think Man Utd and Liverpool will get that far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to How Will The Premier League Teams Do In The Champions League This Season?

GK:- Moraes, Bravo, Gunn

DF:- Walker, Kompany, Stones, Mendy, Danilo, Otamnedi, Mangala

MF:- De Bruyne ,Gundogan, Silva, Yaya, Fernandinho, Danilo, Nasri, Diaz, Foden, Garcia, Delph, Zinchenko

WG:- Bernardo, Sane, Sterling, Roberts, Jesus

ST:- Aguero, Jesus, Bony, Moreno

 

This squad is equal to any in the world and has beaten every good team in Europe in recent years

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stan said:

can't see an English team winning it. Barca/Juve/Real/PSG/Atletico/Bayern are stronger than all English teams right now. Maybe Dortmund too. 

Man City or Chelsea might be the closest to coming to winning it. Maybe reach the quarters but that's it. Don't think Man Utd and Liverpool will get that far.

You can discount us in all honesty. City might have a good run at it though I think

I don't believe we have enough squad depth to last the course on all fronts.. Last season was deceptive and has given most the impression we are a little higher up in the food chain than we actually are in reality.

We only had the League and the Cups to worry about and we were pushed all the way in the league by Spurs and failed to win a Cup even though we got to a Final we lost to a team that in fairness had one of the worst seasons form wise for some time. 

I don't think we will be awful by any stretch but don't believe we will be setting the pace either

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still a lot of time in the window, and our board has done a terrific job so far so I expect more signings coming in, especially at wing backs. 

Reckon Conte will still need time to adapt to Europe as well as the league. Didn't excel with Juventus either. 

That said, I can see us doing well again in the league but below expectations in Europe. Possibly a quarterfinal exit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I don't think a quarter final exit is "below expectations".

We are coming off a title win and 200+  million transfer window.  If no English club makes it to a semi final this year, it will yet again show how poor the standard is 

Edited by Cicero
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Cicero said:

We are coming off a title win and 200+  million transfer window.  If no English club makes it to a semi final this year, it will yet again show how poor the standard is 

Not true, it shows the opposite infact  ..the only reason the English teams struggle in Europe is because 80% of the games they play are fast paced competitive games compared to the 20% the likes of Madrid, Barca, Munich etc play a season and as a result are a lot fresher without heavy legs and less injurys in the Champions league games, English teams should have a bye to the knockouts to even it up a little and have a Christmas break too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Not true, it shows the opposite infact  ..the only reason the English teams struggle in Europe is because 80% of the games they play are fast paced competitive games compared to the 20% the likes of Madrid, Barca, Munich etc play a season and as a result are a lot fresher without heavy legs and less injurys in the Champions league games, English teams should have a bye to the knockouts to even it up a little and have a Christmas break too

So why do English clubs lose in the early rounds of the Champions League when we're only one month into the league season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

So why do English clubs lose in the early rounds of the Champions League when we're only one month into the league season?

Most English teams don't hit top form early season, they pace themselfs for the loooooooooong battle ahead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

Most English teams don't hit top form early season, they pace themselfs for the loooooooooong battle ahead

unlike Arsenal who pace themselves til February then implode xD 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Happy Blue said:

Most English teams don't hit top form early season, they pace themselfs for the loooooooooong battle ahead

Oh right!

Ok then... I've worked it out now!

At the start it's because English clubs fuelled 90% with foreign players and coaches haven't got their engines in tune yet....  And later on they fail because the English league season is so fast paced that they're suffering from some sort of vertigo?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Oh right!

Ok then... I've worked it out now!

At the start it's because English clubs fuelled 90% with foreign players and coaches haven't got their engines in tune yet....  And later on they fail because the English league season is so fast paced that they're suffering from some sort of vertigo?

We have just DESTROYED Real Madrid 4-1 while fresh  ...night! :bye:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Batard said:

It's all cyclical, as with before, English clubs will do well in Europe again. At the moment it's Spains time in the spotlight, it'll pass, all thing do. Well. Adel Taarabt aside.

it'll be Italy's turn next I reckon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect 4 of the 5 to get through the groups. One of Tottenham or Liverpool will blow it, and I'm edging towards Liverpool. Spurs round of 16, Man City & Man Utd quarters, Chelsea semis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Mate, everyone's been destroying Real Madrid so far this pre-season.

Which proves the Spanish league is rubbish!   ...we even spanked Barca early season last year before the games piled up and injury's happened :coffee:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Which proves the Spanish league is rubbish!   ...we even spanked Barca early season last year before the games piled up and injury's happened :coffee:

Indeed...  Everyone knows pre-season games are the measuring stick for a league's worth.  I've never debated or contested it mate.  Man City spanking teams in pre-season is enough for me.  I can't believe anyone else has even challenged this. ;)

Edited by SirBalon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

GK:- Moraes, Bravo, Gunn

DF:- Walker, Kompany, Stones, Mendy, Danilo, Otamnedi, Mangala

MF:- De Bruyne ,Gundogan, Silva, Yaya, Fernandinho, Danilo, Nasri, Diaz, Foden, Garcia, Delph, Zinchenko

WG:- Bernardo, Sane, Sterling, Roberts, Jesus

ST:- Aguero, Jesus, Bony, Moreno

This squad is equal to any in the world and has beaten every good team in Europe in recent years

Can't believe that's the defence you have after having spent a fortune on it. The midfield from a defensive point of view is quite weak as well but in terms of creativity it is quality. Aguero is a quality, but injury prone, striker. Jesus is a decent youngster although he looks like he wastes a lot of chances.

Definitely not equal to the squads of Bayern Munich, Juventus, Real Madrid or Barcelona. Don't think it even stands out in the Premier League. It all seems to be built around if Aguero can outscore the opposition with all the chances a creative midfield creates for him...

Edited by 6666
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SirBalon said:

Indeed...  Everyone knows pre-season games are the measuring stick for a league's worth.  I've never debated or contested it mate.  Man City slacking teams in pre-season is enough for me.  I can't believe anyone else has even challenged this. ;)

Id love to stay and chat but Teletubbies has just started and matron will be around shortly with a fresh pair of rubber underpants  ..toodle pip! :ay: 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whoever avoids Barcelona and Madrid for the longest will get the furthest. None have the quality to seriously challenge but if I had to pick one to reach the semis I'd go with Man United just because I think Mourinho will make them an absolute pain in the arse to beat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

What group seeding will Man Utd get?

 

I reckon 2nd.

Spurs are 3rd again apparently and that could be brutal. They could conceivably get a group of Real Madrid, PSG and RB Leipzig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 6666 said:

Can't believe that's the defence you have after having spent a fortune on it. The midfield from a defensive point of view is quite weak as well but in terms of creativity it is quality. Aguero is a quality, but injury prone, striker. Jesus is a decent youngster although he looks like he wastes a lot of chances.

Definitely not equal to the squads of Bayern Munich, Juventus, Real Madrid or Barcelona. Don't think it even stands out in the Premier League. It all seems to be built around if Aguero can outscore the opposition with all the chances a creative midfield creates for him...

That Defence is rock solid if Kompany stays fit. i agree, we have the best squad in the game B|

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...