talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pau Torres - Aston Villa Sign Villarreal Defender

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always envisaged him joining one of the big two Spanish clubs pre covid. He's due an opportunity to prove himself at a big club and thankfully for him it looks like it'll be a Bayern as opposed to one of those whose place as a top club appears to be under threat.

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Bayern interested in everyone and their grandma these days. 

Seriously though. The squad turnover could be kind of nuts if even half of the rumours end up being true. Defenders at least makes sense with Hernandez and Pavard more then likely to get sold here. 2 in 2 out. Also makes me think Tuchel is leaning towards 3 at the back if we're keen on having 4 starting quality CB's plus Stanisic.

• The title was changed to Pau Torres - Bayern & Aston Villa Interested

That is a really, really impressive signing for Villa, especially when you consoder some of the names he's been linked with over the last couple seasons.

Big statement of intent from Emery and the board but these are the kind of signings you need to make to progress to that next level.

• Administrator

Emery really was the golden opportunity of a manager that Villa picked up on at the right time. Almost transformed them into a mid-/lower-table, averagely-performing club into what could be quite some force in the next 2-3 seasons at least. In Europe, clearly have an identity and way of playing, clearly have some structure and organisation on/off the pitch, and now he's being backed by the club with a quality signing like Pau Torres. That's some intent if the deal goes through, considering he was linked with Bayern...

• Subscriber
On 29/06/2023 at 16:39, Cicero said:

Weren't they calling this bloke the Spanish Harry Maguire last summer?

We were linked a lot a few years back, was never convinced then that he would be good in the premier league. Decent on the ball but can be bullied aerially and got a mistake in him.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Pau Torres - Aston Villa Sign Villarreal Defender

Two years ago he was the hot property in Europe, but two less than average seasons saw his stock drop.   For Emery he gets someone he knows and a modern centerback,  the kind that cant defend but can spray passes and carry the ball well. 

I do think the 2 signings so far are exactly the level of player Villa should be looking for. If Man City want another CB or Arsenal need a midfielder, then Villa will of course find themselves losing out. But, any player seen as nearly at & around that sort of level, but maybe has not quite got there. That is exactly the sort of player Aston Villa should be doing what they can to sign up.

Visits to St James's Park, Anfield & Stamford Bridge in the opening 6 could well mean it's another slow start. But, they really should only be heading in with excitement & positivity.

5 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I do think the 2 signings so far are exactly the level of player Villa should be looking for. If Man City want another CB or Arsenal need a midfielder, then Villa will of course find themselves losing out. But, any player seen as nearly at & around that sort of level, but maybe has not quite got there. That is exactly the sort of player Aston Villa should be doing what they can to sign up.

Visits to St James's Park, Anfield & Stamford Bridge in the opening 6 could well mean it's another slow start. But, they really should only be heading in with excitement & positivity.

I think this bloke is going to make Aston Villa a lot of money in about two seasons.

5 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I think if we've got a whole new midfield and Chelsea have to basically redefine who they are as a club, those 2 clubs are probably ideal to go to earlier in the season than later.

Archived