talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game Of Thrones

football forum

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Cheers for Sam and Gil revealing that Rhaegar ended his marriage to be wed another. 

Jon the rightful heir confirmed. 

You're all going to look awful stupid if Jon turns out to be Robert Baratheons son.

Black of hair and burnt by fire makes for an unconvincing Targaryen.

33 minutes ago, Batard said:

No, he's Rhaegar's Son. This has been confirmed by heavy and unsubtle inferences. Too many to list here. 

Dragon bond was obviously the clincher. With the concept of being Robert's son, It wouldn't be brilliant writing or a twist in any sense of the imagination. At this point, it would be straight up lying. 

More than likely now that Bran will reveal Jon's heritage when Sam is around, to which the latter will obviously have a light bulb click. 

Dany wants the D bad. 

Wait....

Danny D? 

Edited by Cicero

• Subscriber

Found this episode very frustrating but decent.

Arya and Sansa arguing already :dam:. It's good but unnerving to see Littlefinger actually being Littlefinger again but between Arya's murder skills and Bran's psychic powers and the fact we haven't seen Sansa's "the lone wolf dies but the pack survives" quote from the trailer I'm not worried.

Saw Sam leaving the Citadel coming, he's gone there to advance the plots elsewhere and hopefully he was half listening when Gilly said about the annulment. A shame we probably won't get to see Jim Broadbent's character crack and believe him.

Jaime and Bronn escaping was complete bullshit on so many levels. Love this show but that was shit writing, no way Dany just forgets about coming face to face with the guy who killed her father then charged to kill her without wanting to know what happened to him. They didn't seem remotely surprised that he was alive, if they deliberately let him go they could have mentioned that.

Tyrion getting into Kings Landing on his suicide mission was scarcely believable but at least they addressed that by Cersei saying she let it happen. I'm calling bullshit on her pregnancy story too, she's just saying that to keep Jaime around. And by the way, she's going to say he's the father even though she's engaged to that mad man Euron Greyjoy? Come on now...

Dany burning alive the Tarlys was completely unnecessary. Beheading I could have accepted but again, why is she so ruthless with them but doesn't care about what happened to Jaime who directly killed her father and nearly her five minutes earlier?

At least she let Jon go, I know he's doing what's important but he could at least send some communication to Winterfell about his plans, ask for some extra men? No? Anyway, cool shot of Eastwatch and the end of the wall and a great squad of secondary/tertiary characters to support Jon beyond the wall but no doubt a lot of them aren't coming back, but which ones?

Jon - Plot armor - 99% chance of survival.

The Hound - Plot armor, there's no way they bring him back just to die on this excursion? Maybe he saves Jon and that's his final redemption but I think he makes it out - 75% chance of survival.

Gendry - Surely there's no chance they bring him back after 4 years just to die after 3 scenes? - 80% chance of survival.

Tormund - Someone has to die here, and I think he's one of them unfortunately. I don't see how much more story he's got left. - 35% chance of survival.

Beric - The brotherhood have been cool through the years but I also think they're dispensable at this stage with 8 episodes left. I expect him to go down in heroic fashion taking down dozens of dead men with his flaming sword. - 10% chance of survival.

Thoros - See Beric. These two to go down together. - 10% chance of survival.

Jorah - Torn on this one, I'm hopeful he'll make it out because otherwise why bother with the whole grey scale cure plot line? I can see this going either way though. - 60% chance of survival.

• Upvote 2

I think from Dany's angle, it might have looked like the Dragon actually burned Jaime. Don't think she was able to see Bron come in and save him in the last dying seconds. 

Agreed for next episode though. Jon, Gendry, Jorah, the Hound, Tormund? That is a fucking squad. I'd be gutted if Tormund gets killed off if i'm being completely honest. Had Jon's back the entire time. 

Hmmn. Plenty of linking being done there but overall a bit to take the story forward and some bits to just grit your teeth and put up with. 

Jamie and Bron not only not dying  but not even getting captured despite Dany and Tyrion seeing him there about to kill her... That's close to the biggest stretch of plausibility in the show to date. I expected better.

Also this hair brained scheme to capture a wight walker seems pretty unnecessary and having the potential to somehow get cerseo to listen and agree to a truce with dany? 

Disappointing that Sam's trip to the citadel yielded so little. It had so much potential. I hope it is more fruitful in the books. 

Also a bit annoying that master genius Littlefinger has figured out Arya completely but plenty of signs in that episode that she's still woefully ignorant and too much of an open book so i cant say I'm surprised. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think from Dany's angle, it might have looked like the Dragon actually burned Jaime. Don't think she was able to see Bron come in and save him in the last dying seconds. 

Agreed for next episode though. Jon, Gendry, Jorah, the Hound, Tormund? That is a fucking squad. I'd be gutted if Tormund gets killed off if i'm being completely honest. Had Jon's back the entire time. 

I think all but Gendry and Jon will die.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hmmn. Plenty of linking being done there but overall a bit to take the story forward and some bits to just grit your teeth and put up with. 

Jamie and Bron not only not dying  but not even getting captured despite Dany and Tyrion seeing him there about to kill her... That's close to the biggest stretch of plausibility in the show to date. I expected better.

Also this hair brained scheme to capture a wight walker seems pretty unnecessary and having the potential to somehow get cerseo to listen and agree to a truce with dany? 

Disappointing that Sam's trip to the citadel yielded so little. It had so much potential. I hope it is more fruitful in the books. 

Also a bit annoying that master genius Littlefinger has figured out Arya completely but plenty of signs in that episode that she's still woefully ignorant and too much of an open book so i cant say I'm surprised. 

See my post above regarding Dany and Jaime. 

And Sam's trip yielded the most important information, that Rhaegar and Llyanna were infact married. 

I'm finding the pacing of this season really weird. There's so much that's happened comparatively this season compared to other seasons - but that's also because there are 2 fewer episodes. And I wouldn't say that this last episode was particularly bad... and maybe it just seems more "meh" because of how good the episode before it was. But there was so much that happened and for the series, everything is unfolding at a much more rapid pace. I understand they're on a time crunch - but it is sort of their own doing. Shit like instant traveling makes me wonder why the fuck shit took so much longer before.

Having said that, because the plot is moving much faster this season we did see a lot of interesting things develop in this episode. I will say, however, that this plan they have of capturing a white walker is fucking retarded.

The writers post-Martin are just poor at world creating, politics, and characters. They write some lovely melodrama but everything since Dorn has been very poor. Their are so many characters I don't care about and a many that I just don't like at all. I don't care at all about Greyworm, Bronn, Sam, Gilly, all the Dornish (save for Oberyn and his crippled brother), the Greyjoys, and a few others that I can't even recall. Sansa irritates me, I really liked Quasimodo before she was a kick-ass badass, I really liked Cersi as a villain before she was queen, I enjoyed Tyrion far more when he was surrounded by his family as they acted as a foil to his intellect, I try to enjoy Jon Snow and Daenyrys but their acting and dialogue is just very bad, I especially hate how the later is has become the 'perfect good guy' of the show despite the fact she is quite tyrannical (I wish they would dive more into her hypocrisy concerning 'giving people a choice, fearfully following her or death). 

I do enjoy Jaime, Gendry (despite it feeling like fan-service for him to be in the show), The Hound (though he should be dead), Mormont (he should have disappeared into the horizon with ambiguity surrounding his fate), I loved Ned and Rob (I especially love how their honour, and their love killed them respectively, stupid decision get people killed!), Petyr Baelish, Roose Bolton (Ramsey was too comical at times for me), and a few other characters.

I just feel so disappointed. There was a time I was hooked but I feel like the show jumped the shark during season 5. 

• Like 1

I was hoping they'd discuss the moral dilemma of using dragons in battle. It is one thing for two men to square off, they are equal, a man kill a man but a man cannot kill a dragon. It's different to slaughter a thousand men face to face, than to burn them alive like ants.

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

I was hoping they'd discuss the moral dilemma of using dragons in battle. It is one thing for two men to square off, they are equal, a man kill a man but a man cannot kill a dragon. It's different to slaughter a thousand men face to face, than to burn them alive like ants.

There's definitely been some moments where you can see in some characters (although, tbh mostly Tyrion and Jamie) the moral dilemma of dragons and wildfire. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be symbolism for nuclear weapons - but even more obviously, being burned alive is a horrible death. But then other characters, (mostly Dany and Cersei) genuinely seem to give little fucks of any moral ramification behind using their most devastating weapons.

I feel like after Jamie witnessed the dragon attack though, and now thinks Cersei is preggers, he now no longer really cares that she killed a lot of innocent people by destroying the sept... which kind of takes away from that moral concern behind using wildfire. I also think Cersei is lying about being preggers though - so who knows.

Not too sure how I'm feeling about this season tbh. I liked the Spoils of War episode best, I think most people did. But between the pacing they've forced on themselves by reducing the number of episodes by season and (at least what seems to me) like so much fan service. Although tbh, it is nice to see a cured Jorah and Gendry back in the fold. Also Sam's storyline is getting pretty interesting.

• Subscriber

I can understand the travelling being faster now. Part of it is down to them rushing it admittedly but part of it is down to there only being 4-5 story lines. At the start of Season 5, for example, every episode or two you had to have scenes for each of these story threads:

- Jon Snow, Sam and Stannis at Castle Black

- Roose, Ramsay and Theon at Winterfell

- Arya arriving in Braavos

- Sansa and Littlefinger in The Vale

- Brienne and Podrick searching for the Stark girls

- Jaime and Bronn travelling to Dorne

- Cersei, Margaery, Tommen and the Sparrows

- Tyrion travelling East with Varys

- Dany ruling in Slavers Bay

For most of this season it's been narrowed down to:

- Dany, Tyrion, Jon and Co all at Dragonstone

- Cersei and Jaime in Kings Landing

- The Starks and Littlefinger at Winterfell

- Sam and Gilly in Oldtown

You're probably going to each location more than twice as often so this year in one episode the story advances for each character about as much as what used to take maybe three episodes.

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Spike said:

The writers post-Martin are just poor at world creating, politics, and characters. They write some lovely melodrama but everything since Dorn has been very poor. Their are so many characters I don't care about and a many that I just don't like at all. I don't care at all about Greyworm, Bronn, Sam, Gilly, all the Dornish (save for Oberyn and his crippled brother), the Greyjoys, and a few others that I can't even recall. Sansa irritates me, I really liked Quasimodo before she was a kick-ass badass, I really liked Cersi as a villain before she was queen, I enjoyed Tyrion far more when he was surrounded by his family as they acted as a foil to his intellect, I try to enjoy Jon Snow and Daenyrys but their acting and dialogue is just very bad, I especially hate how the later is has become the 'perfect good guy' of the show despite the fact she is quite tyrannical (I wish they would dive more into her hypocrisy concerning 'giving people a choice, fearfully following her or death). 

I do enjoy Jaime, Gendry (despite it feeling like fan-service for him to be in the show), The Hound (though he should be dead), Mormont (he should have disappeared into the horizon with ambiguity surrounding his fate), I loved Ned and Rob (I especially love how their honour, and their love killed them respectively, stupid decision get people killed!), Petyr Baelish, Roose Bolton (Ramsey was too comical at times for me), and a few other characters.

I just feel so disappointed. There was a time I was hooked but I feel like the show jumped the shark during season 5. 

I do agree with this. The show hasn't been the same from season 5 onwards, rather it has become a still very good show with moments where it still reaches the heights of the "good old days".

Fan service is definitely how I'd describe a lot of the stuff from this season and the last one too, I find it frustrating, especially stuff like the shot of the "squad" heading beyond the wall in this episode of popular peripheral characters which if we're honest half of them have been brought back more for popularity than for the story.

Edited by RandoEFC

11 hours ago, Cicero said:

Except he's not, is he?

Says who? The rebellion only lasted a year. Jon has no Targaryen features and Lyannas eyes, with Baratheon hair.

10 hours ago, Batard said:

No, he's Rhaegar's Son. This has been confirmed by heavy and unsubtle inferences. Too many to list here. 

Not confirmed anywhere. Lyanna is his mother. Lyanna and Rhagar were married. That is all we have.

I have no stock in either outcome really. But it would be hilarious to see the rug pulled out from under that theory.

I don't see the issue people have with Dany going mad, it was addressed by Tyrion and baldy. It's most likely going to set up a storyline with Sam getting pissed off with her and if Jon turns out to be the rightful air to the throne then it could see her go even further creating another battle amongst dragons.

Does this show ever imply that the travelling is quicker? For all we know, a month could have passed in the world while Jon and the lads got back up north. 

Fuck knows, I'll admit it's a bit weird seeing characters fly all over the spot but its still a high quality show.