talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023-2024 Sack Race

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah not shocked at all, called that back in September earlier in the thread.

Looks like it could be Chris Wilder coming in. Kinda a no lose situation for him really.

He'll probably get a bit more out the players but it won't be enough, they are miles off it.

On 17/09/2023 at 07:26, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it’ll be Poch or Ten Hag

How much pressure are both of these dickheads under now?

Poch looks like a shadow of when he was a good manager at Spurs. His comments post-match after they got beaten by Everton are amusing too, considering the fortunes of the 2 clubs. One manager's operating on a shoestring budget and his club's financial violations have actually been penalised. Meanwhile another has an endless wad of cash and his club's financial violations are seemingly ignored.

Chelsea fans are usually quick to turn on their managers, not as quick as their players, but still quite quick. And I think that's been a mistake for them in the past... but I'm not sure I'd have any faith in Poch after those comments. Saying you need to spend to compete is fine, but after you've spent a lot and the side looks worse for it... it makes you look like a bit of a fucking moron xD; if Chelsea are seriously going to go spend an absolutely ludicrous amount again... 1.) that's hilarious, 2.) I can't imagine they'd want him to spend it.

With Ten Hag, there's just been some serious regression for United on the pitch and he's demonstrated man management that makes me think "if I were a United player, I'd hate this guy." He did win manager of the month recently, but United still seem like a worse side than they looked last season.

I assume Poch is under more pressure because this season he's basically looked pretty fucking useless... but I still can't look passed these 2 as being the next to go, even if I was wrong about one of them being the first to get the sack.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Dan said:

It'll be Steve Cooper. Marinakis keeps bottling it because the fans love Cooper, although that apparently pisses him off that Cooper gets all the plaudits. It'll go ugly there.

Looking at their fixtures for the rest of the month you could be right - Spurs, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Man Utd.

If they're in the bottom 3 - especially given how poor the 3 current teams occupying those spots are - by the turn of the year then he'll pull the trigger. 

But then I think if Ten Hag gets absolutely humiliated at Anfield on Sunday will that be him one step closer? 

• Subscriber

Cooper couldn't really complain but nor could their owner. Their scattergun recruitment policy has disaster written all over it. Signing more players than you could physically register to play Premier League football last season is just flat-out unprofessional. Luckily for them, they threw so much shit at the wall that just enough of it managed to stick for them to stay up. Their home form saved them because as bad as Everton, Leeds and Leicester were, I think Forest's team was pound-for-pound worse than all three.

I can see them eventually coming in for some of the same grief we've had to deal with financially as well after all the money they've thrown at it since promotion, and I dread to think the mess they'd be in if they go down. They're only potential saving grace might be if they've managed to give reasonable contracts (wages not too high and duration not too long) to their recent signings otherwise they'll have players sat on hefty Premier League wages refusing to leave because nobody else will pay them, many of them probably not even playing regularly.

If Cooper does inevitably go, I can't help but feel they go Potter.

He's sitting there waiting for the right opportunity and you feel that will come from any club that fits in around that 10th to 17th mark. Just seems the perfect move on paper to me.

The panic would be if someone like a Palace parted ways with Hodgson and it forced Forest to act quick or face competition.

I see it a bit like the Dyche situation last year. You knew Saints, Everton, Leeds and Leicester were all going to change manager at some point and Dyche was the one out of work you'd most likely turn to. Everton were the one's that took that chance.

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

He's sitting there waiting for the right opportunity and you feel that will come from any club that fits in around that 10th to 17th mark. Just seems the perfect move on paper to me.

The panic would be if someone like a Palace parted ways with Hodgson and it forced Forest to act quick or face competition.

I see it a bit like the Dyche situation last year. You knew Saints, Everton, Leeds and Leicester were all going to change manager at some point and Dyche was the one out of work you'd most likely turn to. Everton were the one's that took that chance.

I thought Stoke were going quite hard to get Potter. Has there been any further news on that? I thought that might be a touch ambitious for a Championship side given how well he did before the career suicide of taking Chelsea over. 

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I thought Stoke were going quite hard to get Potter. Has there been any further news on that? I thought that might be a touch ambitious for a Championship side given how well he did before the career suicide of taking Chelsea over. 

Actually I did see a Twitter rumour on that, but I'd be very surprised if it happened. Pretty sure he was linked to us, Leicester and Southampton before we all made different appointments in the Summer, so can't see how a 20th placed Stoke get him in.

As much a disaster as the Chelsea situation was, and it probably tainted his profile, he's got enough credit in the bank for me to have another PL job.

He was touted as a potential England manager at one point. He's definitely got a mid-table club vibe to him. 

• Subscriber

Surely Potter can't drop to Stoke. I know his stock has fallen but that would be an absolutely ridiculous move. They seem to be one of these clubs now who are stuffed whoever they get in charge. It's far too big a risk for what isn't going to be that big an upside. That move could finish him.

5 hours ago, Lucas said:

He wouldn't come here. There's absolutely no way he would have tolerated the lack of recruitment last summer.

The board kept Roy on because they knew they could take the piss and he'd get on with it.

Potter is Premier League certified, surely he doesn’t take a job in the Championship. Chelsea is a shit job for anyone to take and what he done at Brighton was great.

If we lost Thomas Frank, which we are unlikely to do, Potter would be a man I’d happily have at the club.

• Subscriber

I should think that if Potter was offered any Championship job right now then he'd probably just hold out a bit longer given that Forest have a manager on the brink in the Premier League with very little actual risk of relegation and ending up in the Championship anyway.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Danny said:

Potter is Premier League certified, surely he doesn’t take a job in the Championship. Chelsea is a shit job for anyone to take and what he done at Brighton was great.

If we lost Thomas Frank, which we are unlikely to do, Potter would be a man I’d happily have at the club.

And not just a Championship job - basically now the Championship Everton (and that is probably harsh on Everton). What is the upside of the Stoke job? Nobody goes there and goes a good job. It isn't like Sunderland where you can see a route to the Premier League in the next year or two. Stoke is a club where players and managers go to die these days.

I think Graham Potter will hold out for West Ham in the summer. There seems to be an inevitable part of ways happening there with the fans wanting a more progressive style of football. West Ham have the resources and infrastructure that he will believe could get him to a level where its perceieved he can make his biggest managerial achievements.

The talk of Potter going to Stoke City is absurd. Especially when there's the likes of Tony Mowbray and John Eustace are available. Albeit given how many good managers and players seem to ruin themselves at Stoke it wouldn't surprise me if the only person willing to take the risk is somebody as brave as Steve Evans.

I get the impression Steve Cooper is still in a job at Forest because Maranakis hasn't found a big name replacement. He will be the bookies favourite to replace Roy, but if we jump in the next month I'd rather we go for McKenna.

• Subscriber

I didn't really realise there was a prospect of Moyes not renewing at West Ham. If their fans are really bemoaning the style of football then you can only laugh at how short their memories are.

They already turned their nose up at Moyes once because of the style of play after he saved them from one relegation, they plunged themselves back into a relegation fight and had to go crawling back to him again. He's since taken them back to Europe, won them an actual trophy and has them as an established top half team amongst the likes of Brighton.

If their board and/or their fans want to get rid of him again because of a "style of football" then I'm sorry but if they end up plummeting back down the table into a relegation battle then they deserve to be laughed at.

Yes, West Ham & David Moyes does seem a confusing 'interim' sort of vibe & expectation. But then, my club are now getting towards where me & many think the aim should always have been. And many pundits & casual observers think is reserved for the more preferred & regular candidates of the last 15, 20 years.

West Ham do have fans, I think, who feel they very much should be where Villa are, doing what Newcastle did, being like Leicester were for a few seasons. And with the Olympic Stadium & ability to spend reasonable money on transfers, I wouldn't like to argue against.

But for me, given where West Ham have been during my life time, there surely should be some level of acceptance of comfortable mid table, in a division with a now long established Big 6, a resurgent Villa & Newcastle, and very possibly a returning Leicester next season.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I didn't really realise there was a prospect of Moyes not renewing at West Ham. If their fans are really bemoaning the style of football then you can only laugh at how short their memories are.

They already turned their nose up at Moyes once because of the style of play after he saved them from one relegation, they plunged themselves back into a relegation fight and had to go crawling back to him again. He's since taken them back to Europe, won them an actual trophy and has them as an established top half team amongst the likes of Brighton.

If their board and/or their fans want to get rid of him again because of a "style of football" then I'm sorry but if they end up plummeting back down the table into a relegation battle then they deserve to be laughed at.

I think they’ve got every right to demand more. They left Upton Park on the basis that they would be given more, I don’t really think winning the Intertoto Cup constitutes a reason for that and let’s not forget Moyes himself has led them into a relegation battle.

His football is turgid and whilst it suited West Ham for a time, now they’re signing players like Lucas Paqueta they need to fully get the best out of them. I think someone like Graham Potter would be a great appointment and a step-up from Moyes.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Yes, West Ham & David Moyes does seem a confusing 'interim' sort of vibe & expectation. But then, my club are now getting towards where me & many think the aim should always have been. And many pundits & casual observers think is reserved for the more preferred & regular candidates of the last 15, 20 years.

West Ham do have fans, I think, who feel they very much should be where Villa are, doing what Newcastle did, being like Leicester were for a few seasons. And with the Olympic Stadium & ability to spend reasonable money on transfers, I wouldn't like to argue against.

But for me, given where West Ham have been during my life time, there surely should be some level of acceptance of comfortable mid table, in a division with a now long established Big 6, a resurgent Villa & Newcastle, and very possibly a returning Leicester next season.

I read earlier today that they are bound by FFP rules which means they can only spend approx £8m in summer if they don't offload a few players in January. So their spending might be cut back a fair bit unless there's a lot of outgoings in January/early summer. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Danny said:

I think they’ve got every right to demand more. They left Upton Park on the basis that they would be given more, I don’t really think winning the Intertoto Cup constitutes a reason for that and let’s not forget Moyes himself has led them into a relegation battle.

His football is turgid and whilst it suited West Ham for a time, now they’re signing players like Lucas Paqueta they need to fully get the best out of them. I think someone like Graham Potter would be a great appointment and a step-up from Moyes.

If they do manage to improve with a new manager then fair enough but they're just as likely to end up sliding back into a relegation scrap and all I'm saying is that it would be quite funny if they did that again after deciding they're too good for David Moyes, a man who they've twice had to call upon to improve them when they've managed to nearly get themselves relegated, again.

You can mock the "Intertoto" cup as well but that's probably the best achievement West Ham have had in most of their fans' whole lives.

15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

If they do manage to improve with a new manager then fair enough but they're just as likely to end up sliding back into a relegation scrap and all I'm saying is that it would be quite funny if they did that again after deciding they're too good for David Moyes, a man who they've twice had to call upon to improve them when they've managed to nearly get themselves relegated, again.

You can mock the "Intertoto" cup as well but that's probably the best achievement West Ham have had in most of their fans' whole lives.

Most would have been around when they actually won the Intertoto Cup :ph34r:

It’s a decent competition but let’s be honest no where near good enough to leave a spiritual home for.

As owners once you make claims of stepping up a level to move into a new stadium you have to back that up. At this point they have to be looking at trying to break that top 6 because otherwise what is the point of moving stadium to just finish midtable at best?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

All this "Sack Moyes" sucks big time, I would not mind betting there are a few Everton supporters out there in Toffee Land who would love him back and be in the same situation as West Ham right now, 6th on the table and although some might call the Intertoto Cup a Micky Mouse Cup they still won it.

The Hammers sack Moyes after he saved them from relegation and then hire Manuel Pellegrini who helped Man City win the Premier League and 2 League Cups on the trot and varies other trophies around Europe, then they sacked him.

• 3 months later...