talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023-2024 Sack Race

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ETH is in the discussion, but I think he's safe for now in the sense that United have got so many clusterfucks to deal with that he's low on the priority list.

Heckingbottom is apparently close, which is bizarre but this is football. Another who is probably close but shouldn't be is the lad that's running Luton (absolutely no idea what his name is or what he looks like).

Dyche will get time yet at Everton, as us being shite is to be expected. Can't think of anyone terribly at risk yet tbh other than the two already mentioned.

Edit: Just checked the table, didn't realise that Burnley were 0-0-3. Think Kompany will get less time in the sense that he and Burnley were expected to be the promoted side that comfortably stayed up. If he keeps losing, he will 100% go.

Edited by Whiskey

Difficult to say anyone other than ETH right now. With most other clubs being vaguely around where most would be expecting to find them. With exception of perhaps Newcastle, with a more mitigating fixture list.

Would Man United 's ownership saga allow ETH the luxury of finishing where Arsenal & Chelsea have in the last 2 seasons? 

And as ever, the Chelsea manager can not be ruled out. Poch is talking of assuring European football. Presumably it is the expectation. But it feels like for all the money & 8 year contracts, others have caught up. And Chelsea just do not look or feel like quite the same beast they have been. Europe is still very possible for them, but I only see 4 as guaranteed, and that's Man City, Arsenal, Spurs & Liverpool. Probably the favourites for Top 4. That would leave 3 spots. Without considering Man United, Newcastle, Brighton, West Ham.. etc. Yes, I imagine many Chelsea fans have 5th circled as the objective. But I don't see Top 7 as a nailed on certainty for them.

• Subscriber

I saw Dyche was favourite the other day and with Moshiri, if we'd gone on to lose to Arsenal and Brentford next, you wouldn't be that surprised, but now that he's found a buyer and isn't as desperate to keep the club in the league to sustain the value, he probably wouldn't be arsed enough to pay Dyche off if we lost every game from now to Christmas.

It does all seem to be going very pear-shaped very quickly for Ten Hag. He's better than most of their post-Fergie managers for me but that club is broken and if their season continues in this fashion then he'll be the one who gets the bullet.

Also wouldn't be that surprised if Luton or Sheffield United thought it worth pulling the trigger because they're probably fucked either way and if they roll the dice they might just do what Bournemouth did last season and go from being an early write-off to actually clawing their way out of the bottom few teams.

48 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

ETH is in the discussion, but I think he's safe for now in the sense that United have got so many clusterfucks to deal with that he's low on the priority list.

Heckingbottom is apparently close, which is bizarre but this is football. Another who is probably close but shouldn't be is the lad that's running Luton (absolutely no idea what his name is or what he looks like).

Dyche will get time yet at Everton, as us being shite is to be expected. Can't think of anyone terribly at risk yet tbh other than the two already mentioned.

Edit: Just checked the table, didn't realise that Burnley were 0-0-3. Think Kompany will get less time in the sense that he and Burnley were expected to be the promoted side that comfortably stayed up. If he keeps losing, he will 100% go.

Rob Edwards is Luton's manager.

Rob Edwards should be bulletproof this season. No way do the Luton owners expect them to stay up. It’s a great story and adventure, but the resources just aren’t there to stay in this league. 

Kompany obviously needs plenty of time as well, but they’ve invested better so he has to provide more. I’m sure they will improve over the next couple of months. Howe and TenHag are the ones who need to keep one eye over their shoulder. 

• Administrator

Think it's Dyche or Ten Hag. I presume Everton's owners think they can pay a big name from overseas, even though it could well be worth sticking with Dyche. 

Ten Hag not off to the best start, but reckon he'll be afforded time given one of his objectives seem to be 'setting discipline standards' back into the club. Off field events won't help though, and probably doesn't help other players currently either. 

I wonder if Heckingbottom will be first. Guess it depends on how results against other relegation rivals go. 

• The title was changed to Premier League 2023-2024 Sack Race
  • The topic was pinned
  • Subscriber

Early days yet but ET better pull his finger out pretty quick with United, Poch, maybe, just thought, imagine if Spurs Ange had gone to Chelsea first and Poch ended up back at Spurs then now we would see Chelsea sitting in 2nd spot on the league table and Spurs in 14th spot. xD

The Greenwood debacle showed that there was at least one unhappy whistle blower in that dressing room, and that whistle blower insinuated pretty heavily that Erik ten Hag supported Mason Greenwood being integrated in to the dressing room.  Then you see the lack of action with Antony and how Sancho was willing to respond to his individual criticisms on social media. It wouldn't surprise me if he's losing or already lost the dressing room.

777 Partners would be pretty mental to give up on Sean Dyche. It's a major problem that they haven't taken advantage of what was a good opening stretch of fixtures but they're not going to find anybody else who can keep Everton in the Premier League over the course of the next three seasons until the books are balanced.

One name out there that hasn't been mentioned who I think may be in a spot of bother if he doesn't win tomorrow is Steve Cooper. After tomorrow's game Forest have Man City, Brentford, Palace, Liverpool, Villa, West Ham and Brighton in there next eight. It wouldn't surprise me if Maranakis has been monitoring marquee appointments since promotion and Forest will be more appealing than last year given the squad has shown itself to be capable of survival.

I think that given the circus around Man Utd, there shouldn't be any serious thought of sacking ten Hag.    The Glazers refusing to go, with their sale/no sale, the Sancho, Anthony and Greenwood situations, the injuries to most of our starting defenders, Amrabat and Hojlund arriving injured, the inability to get rid of unwanted players and the financial restrictions due to FFP rules . It's doubtful anyone could have done much better.

Ten Hag is responsible for the Antony and Mount signings,  I don't think either will work out well for them and that may be enough to sack him,  that being said the rest of the business is typical man united buying players like it is football manager.     The club is in chaos and it may be decades before they lift another premier league. 

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Stan said:

I presume Everton's owners think they can pay a big name from overseas, even though it could well be worth sticking with Dyche. 

Word is there isn't even enough money to pay off Dyche and any of his staff, let alone try to go big on a new manager. If results force their hand on Dyche then we'd be fishing in the Dean Smith type of pond.

• 2 weeks later...

Heckingbottam would be my guess. That was a very worrying sign for them Sunday to lose in the manner they did.

Sheffield United have always been known to be a gritty side, not always flashy but the effort always is there and certainly not one that gets pumped as badly as that, but that was poor.

More importantly, I don't think him saying post game that they should expect results like that is going to go down well. You may well think it, but you never say that publically.

I don't see a win in their next four and the temptation to go early could well be huge. For example, someone like Potter still has enough credit in the bag and struggling teams will be aware of his availability.

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber
On 17/09/2023 at 21:39, The Palace Fan said:

The Greenwood debacle showed that there was at least one unhappy whistle blower in that dressing room, and that whistle blower insinuated pretty heavily that Erik ten Hag supported Mason Greenwood being integrated in to the dressing room.  Then you see the lack of action with Antony and how Sancho was willing to respond to his individual criticisms on social media. It wouldn't surprise me if he's losing or already lost the dressing room.

777 Partners would be pretty mental to give up on Sean Dyche. It's a major problem that they haven't taken advantage of what was a good opening stretch of fixtures but they're not going to find anybody else who can keep Everton in the Premier League over the course of the next three seasons until the books are balanced.

One name out there that hasn't been mentioned who I think may be in a spot of bother if he doesn't win tomorrow is Steve Cooper. After tomorrow's game Forest have Man City, Brentford, Palace, Liverpool, Villa, West Ham and Brighton in there next eight. It wouldn't surprise me if Maranakis has been monitoring marquee appointments since promotion and Forest will be more appealing than last year given the squad has shown itself to be capable of survival.

I agree with the Cooper shout, I don't think he should be sacked at all for what it's worth but I think Marinakis wants to aim higher in his eyes. Not a bad dark horse pick.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Heckingbottom is now at odds of 1/2 which implies a 67% chance that he's the next to go.

The next favourite is O'Neil and Dyche at 12/1 which is about an 8% chance.

I think you'd have to be mad to back in this market at that price - not so much this weekend but this market is particularly reactive. Say Chelsea had a game at half 12 and they lost it, Heckingbottom would shoot back up to probably 3/1 without them even playing.

• 3 weeks later...