talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

This feels very harsh on Mane. I think Henderson's very underrated and underappreciated generally, but Mane dragged us, single-handedly at times, into a commanding lead before the turn of the year. He was popping up with big goals/assists and performances all over the place in that September-November period when we put one hand on the trophy, and continued for the rest of the season when the rest of the team wasn't quite at the races. This isn't to say Henderson hasn't had a brilliant season, he has, but Mane's really been the driver of our success for me. It feels like a bit of a compensation award for Henderson as he doesn't get the plaudits others do because of his role

On Kevin De Bruyne... there's no question he's a brill, but being a key component in a team that's underperformed to the extent that they have, both in terms of cost of the squad and performance in previous seasons, isn't really something to write home about. I'm not one who thinks it has to be a player from a title winner, but KDB's a weird and lazy choice.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

City won the league in 2017/18 yet Salah won POTY given he was the only consistent player that produced great numbers. 

Things have virtually switched so KDB not winning it and adding to the fact Liverpool’s best player(s) didn’t even win, screams agenda. 

Underselling it a bit. He broke the goalscoring record and was generally an absolute revelation

40 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Guardiola appears on the precipice of a breakdown over Liverpool. I remember when he had a meltdown and ran away from Barcelona because of Mourinho, I forgave him because Barcelona is seriously high pressure and Mourinho is one of the most obnoxious personalities going but it seems he just gets a bit upset about being beaten. At least he's staying this time.

Did he run away from Mourinho? My memory was that he kept clashing with the board, Fabregas in, Thiago out. Transfers he didn’t want and overall couldn’t handle the media scrutiny of being Barce’s head coach.

Mourinho definitely got under his skin though 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

For me, yeah. One of the best players in the league, and top of goals + assists (lazy) but he hasn't actually contributed to his team doing well this season (weird). I'm not saying it's an outrageous choice, but is wrong

'hasn't actually contributed to his team doing well this season'. 

Really?

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

"The winner will be from Liverpool, a Liverpool player. When we won the Premier League the Liverpool players won. When they win the League, I'm pretty sure they are going to win the Player of the Season. These awards are always for Liverpool,” Guardiola said in a post-match interview on BBC Radio Five Live this week.

Guardiola is a whining cunt. Sterling won the FWA award last year

Didn’t Sterling also win young player of the year too?

Guardiola should stick to giving the sheik lapdances, the sportswashing cunt.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stan said:

'hasn't actually contributed to his team doing well this season'. 

Really?

Tbf, Citeh have massively underperformed this season given the players they have and the resources they’ve spent. They won one domestic cup after all that... and it’s the one that nobody really gives a shit about unless they win it.

Obviously it’s not over for them, and if they win the CL I think it’ll be a successful season for them.

But domestically, I think they’ve massively underperformed by the standards that were set over the previous two seasons.

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

For me, yeah. One of the best players in the league, and top of goals + assists (lazy) but he hasn't actually contributed to his team doing well this season (weird). I'm not saying it's an outrageous choice, but is wrong

Very odd line of argument for me. Is it lazy to say Mane and Salah have had great seasons because of the numbers they've posted? Sometimes a spade is a spade mate.

City have had a poor season and their defence has let them down on multiple occasions but De Bruyne has dragged them kicking and screaming to a level of quality that has at least seen them recover to a comfortable 2nd place. What's lazy and wrong is arguing that because Man City haven't won the league, he can't have contributed to their season. By definition, this award is supposed to be based on the output of the individual, not a judgement on what they achieved along with the team around them.

Henderson has not been better than De Bruyne this season. Nobody can really objectively look at this season and say Henderson has been the best player in the league. He hasn't even been the best player for his team, Mane has in my opinion. There's a slice of sentimentality behind this award and the people who chose Henderson have done so for other reasons on top of his performances on the pitch, which is fine if that's what the award is going to be for, but I'm not having people pretending that this is the right call based purely on his individual performances on a football pitch.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Very odd line of argument for me. Is it lazy to say Mane and Salah have had great seasons because of the numbers they've posted? Sometimes a spade is a spade mate.

City have had a poor season and their defence has let them down on multiple occasions but De Bruyne has dragged them kicking and screaming to a level of quality that has at least seen them recover to a comfortable 2nd place. What's lazy and wrong is arguing that because Man City haven't won the league, he can't have contributed to their season. By definition, this award is supposed to be based on the output of the individual, not a judgement on what they achieved along with the team around them.

Henderson has not been better than De Bruyne this season. Nobody can really objectively look at this season and say Henderson has been the best player in the league. He hasn't even been the best player for his team, Mane has in my opinion. There's a slice of sentimentality behind this award and the people who chose Henderson have done so for other reasons on top of his performances on the pitch, which is fine if that's what the award is going to be for, but I'm not having people pretending that this is the right call based purely on his individual performances on a football pitch.

Idk I think Henderson HAS been our best player this season. He’s consistently put in top performances when he’s played. And when he’s not playing we never look anywhere near as good

11 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

If you're just looking at the numbers they posted to say they deserve to be player of the year, then yeah, that is a bit lazy. You need to consider more than that: context, match winning goals and performances, etc.. I know it's an individual award, but it's a team game, so for me you have to consider the team's performance as context. As I've said, that doesn't mean they have to win the league, but there has to be some indiciation the player in question has dragged his team up the table, and with City the opposite has happened. They may have only dropped one place from last year, but they're 20 points short (with one to play) of the points total put up by largely the same team. I don't think you can take any player from a team that's underperformed to that extent and say they've had the best season of anyone in the league.

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

At least it will be with the fans present... hopefully 😁

If Covid threatens to cancel next season... I imagine fans still wouldn’t be allowed in.

And a lot of lower league clubs would likely fold, so let’s hope covid is under control sooner rather than later.