talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wayne Rooney Birmingham Debacle

22 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Hope it isn't true. I've enjoyed what Birmingham City have done this summer and John Eustace has done nothing that warrants being replaced.

It looks like it's going to happen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67053921

Going to adopt a 'no fear' playing style. Fucking hell. xD

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

Certainly very weird. Feels like someone within Birmingham City thinks celebrity names are all that's needed. With Rooney following soon after Tom Brady, who is some sort of consultant. Maybe they've been looking too closely at Wrexham's Hollywood success story. Or Salford with the Famous 5, or whatever business name they go by.

I don't think Rooney was responsible for getting Derby relegated. They had a 10 pint deduction didn't they? I think Derby wanted him to stay didn't they?

At the same time Birmingham are 6th in the league so why change the manager? Unless  something has happened we don't know about

Edited by Gunnersaurus

1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Certainly very weird. Feels like someone within Birmingham City thinks celebrity names are all that's needed. With Rooney following soon after Tom Brady, who is some sort of consultant. Maybe they've been looking too closely at Wrexham's Hollywood success story. Or Salford with the Famous 5, or whatever business name they go by.

The interview with Tom Brady and the owner on the EFL Highlight Show in the second week of the season was a massive red flag. I think the fans ignored it because MacParland had used the investment money to build an impressive team and work on the ground was finally happening.

MacParland and Gardner must be sitting there hands on head right now. If they were bottom six, this appointment would be lauded, but the timing is awful.

57 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The interview with Tom Brady and the owner on the EFL Highlight Show in the second week of the season was a massive red flag. I think the fans ignored it because MacParland had used the investment money to build an impressive team and work on the ground was finally happening.

MacParland and Gardner must be sitting there hands on head right now. If they were bottom six, this appointment would be lauded, but the timing is awful.

I know it's different owners but after reading the article, it's almost like history is repeating itself a little as the same thing happened with the previous owners bringing in Zola and only just surviving in the end.

Assuming Rooney is taking the role, it'll be interesting to see how he goes.

• The title was changed to Wayne Rooney Replaces John Eustace as Birmingham City Manager
16 hours ago, Dan said:

I think you could almost forgive the Eustace sacking if you had a proper coup of a manager lined up. Fucking Rooney. It's just a name for name's sake.

The statement about 'playing with no fear' really reeks of treating the fan base as stupid. They've just scored seven goals in two games!

The odd thing is if they had waited another five games, they'd probably have been praised by the fan base for making the decision. Those next five fixtures should see a decline. The timing is awful.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

The statement about 'playing with no fear' really reeks of treating the fan base as stupid. They've just scored seven goals in two games!

The odd thing is if they had waited another five games, they'd probably have been praised by the fan base for making the decision. Those next five fixtures should see a decline. The timing is awful.

Thought exactly the same. I'm not even big on Rooney and I think he's being slightly hung out to dry. Is their squad really much good? They've got a horrible opener in an improving Middlesbrough away. I can see things going a bit toxic there if they aren't careful. Only thing I'll say is I don't get the feeling Eustace was massively popular either. A Birmingham supporting mate said quite a lot of them wanted him out after the defeat at Norwich.

I find them a statistically interesting side - they're the only team in the division to give up fewer chances than us.

All feels a little bit remiscent of the time they sacked Gary Rowatt when just outside the playoff zone and appointed Gianfranco Zola.

2 wins in 24 matches later, he walked leaving them just above the relgation zone.

It's a huge risk to me, destabilising something that was obviously working. I kind of get where they are going with it, I mean, Rooney's name will attract players to the club, but the timing just feels massively off.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

All feels a little bit remiscent of the time they sacked Gary Rowatt when just outside the playoff zone and appointed Gianfranco Zola.

2 wins in 24 matches later, he walked leaving them just above the relgation zone.

It's a huge risk to me, destabilising something that was obviously working. I kind of get where they are going with it, I mean, Rooney's name will attract players to the club, but the timing just feels massively off.

To be fair to the previous owners, which is something I never thought I'd say, it has come out since that Gary Rowett made his position untenable.

20 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

To be fair to the previous owners, which is something I never thought I'd say, it has come out since that Gary Rowett made his position untenable.

I never knew that.

In fairness, he's a bit of a smug twat and really failed to capitalise having good resources at Derby and Stoke, so there's probably legs in that.

6 hours ago, Lucas said:

I never knew that.

In fairness, he's a bit of a smug twat and really failed to capitalise having good resources at Derby and Stoke, so there's probably legs in that.

I can't remember which podcast I heard it on. I havent found it in writing. But it would have been a guest with Athletic, NTT20, Guardian Weekly etc.

Essentially it was after the takeover was official. They mentioned how the previous ownership dropped the ball very early on by letting Zola and Redknapp spend all they were willing to invest in the club. To which the guest who covered Birmingham mentioned that Rowett had been courting himself to more than one other club after telling the new owners he was committed to the club. So they acted swiftly to get rid.

My initial thought was that it made sense. As you said, he has a smug dislikable aura about him. 

• 2 weeks later...

In fairness to him, the fixtures he's had since taking over have been solid, which only makes the timing of the appointment seem even more daft.

Certainly the two away games they had since he took charge, they would have been expected to lose. Boro were in unreal form and Saints away is tough.

Even Hull at home wasn't easy, they are a very defensive, solid team just outside playoffs.

With Ipswich and Sunderland to come, could quite easily be five defeats in five.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 17:41, The Palace Fan said:

And it did. One draw and four defeats.

Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn, Rotherham and Coventry after the international break. Should be looking to win three of those four, especially against Wednesday. 

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Wayne Rooney Birmingham Debacle