talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

2 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Is it me or does Grealish seem to play well at international competitions?

Possibly,  he has been very average this season though and we all know that Gormless Gareth will pick the status quo. 

18 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I think Gordon, Maino and Palmer should be in the squad over Graelish, Rashford and Phillips. 

I'd have Nudge in the squad over Rashford.

I would be shocked if Southgate would play Trent in the inverted fullback role. I think if Southgate's starting Trent, he's probably not starting him at fullback and he's probably putting him in midfield.

But regardless, I imagine that Phillips and Henderson are still in his plans - regardless of whether they deserve to be or not (they don't).

Foden is not a winger, he needs to be played central with Bellingham, Stones can help out Rice in midfield so we only need to play one DM. if Pep was in charge of England this is how he would set up

Bellingham  Rice  Foden

Saka  Kane  Sterling

I doubt the squad will shock anyone, it will be the standard southgate squad.  He will hope that the "they play well in tournaments" players buck the trend. 

Gareth will also play a 3 at the back whether 3-4-3 or 5-3-2 it's inflexible 

17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I would be shocked if Southgate would play Trent in the inverted fullback role. I think if Southgate's starting Trent, he's probably not starting him at fullback and he's probably putting him in midfield.

But regardless, I imagine that Phillips and Henderson are still in his plans - regardless of whether they deserve to be or not (they don't).

Tbh it would be suicide not to include Walker at RB

On 04/03/2024 at 20:44, Happy Blue said:

Foden is not a winger, he needs to be played central with Bellingham, Stones can help out Rice in midfield so we only need to play one DM. if Pep was in charge of England this is how he would set up

Bellingham  Rice  Foden

Saka  Kane  Sterling

Southgate has done a lot of stupid things, but dropping Sterling isn't one of them. 

Any chance Gomez gets back into the England fold? He's been pretty great for us this season - he's played in 4 different positions this season and not looked out of place in any of them. Probably a useful sort of player to have in any squad and he's got the experience of going far in cup competitions as well as needing to be consistent enough to be playing regularly at a team in the title race.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Any chance Gomez gets back into the England fold? He's been pretty great for us this season - he's played in 4 different positions this season and not looked out of place in any of them. Probably a useful sort of player to have in any squad and he's got the experience of going far in cup competitions as well as needing to be consistent enough to be playing regularly at a team in the title race.

Reports are he's set to be named in the squad. Well deserved but ffs, don't want him near it at this point in the season

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Reports are he's set to be named in the squad. Well deserved but ffs, don't want him near it at this point in the season

He definitely doesn’t need the extra games but he definitely deserves national plaudits for how good he’s been this season

It's a shame that Raheem Sterling's England career seems to be coming to an end. He was a stand-out player in all of the youth sides he played in, someone who genuinely excited you to watch. Went on to have two massive tournaments for England in 2018 and 2020 (2021) where he was our second best attacking player at both tournaments. Completely integral to how Southgate had England playing and he managed to step-up in a time where we lacked options on the wing. Those two tournaments have arguably been the best I've experienced in my lifetime for England, Sterling was integral to all of that. He will definitely go down as an England legend and I hope he can move on from Chelsea and re-ignite the final stages of his career as he is still a quality player.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

It's a shame that Raheem Sterling's England career seems to be coming to an end. He was a stand-out player in all of the youth sides he played in, someone who genuinely excited you to watch. Went on to have two massive tournaments for England in 2018 and 2020 (2021) where he was our second best attacking player at both tournaments. Completely integral to how Southgate had England playing and he managed to step-up in a time where we lacked options on the wing. Those two tournaments have arguably been the best I've experienced in my lifetime for England, Sterling was integral to all of that. He will definitely go down as an England legend and I hope he can move on from Chelsea and re-ignite the final stages of his career as he is still a quality player.

I wonder if it's a case of him burning out from having played so many matches since he was a teenager. Although I wonder how much of his recent dogshit form is due to him playing in an incredibly dysfunctional side with a manager that's got less of a clue than LFC Brendan Rodgers post-Suarez.

When he left Man Cheaty, I didn't think he looked like he was a completely spent force. Been very surprised by how far he looks from the player he once was since joining Chelsea.

And what do we make of Ben White asking to not be considered for a call-up to the national side? Previously when players have retired before their playing career looks close to being over, they've sometimes received a lot of criticism - I've often though it's because of either who they are/the club they play for/possibly a mix of both. Now White's not retired, and last left the England fold due to "family matters" - but it's interesting that months on he's still asking not to even be considered to play for England. Rift between him and the manager? Family issues still continuing but easier to deal with while playing for his club?

He has the worst goal contribution ratio per 90 out of any of our attackers. He plays like a 20 year old when he is one of the most experienced players on the pitch. He doesn't lead by example and I can count on my hand (4) the amount of times he selfishly missed a goal scoring opportunity that would of likely had us get all 3 points. He's a player that relied heavily on Pep's system and having less accountability. He's looked up to as one of the leaders here and he is floundering. I think his motivation in the game is gone. Even Mudryk is doing better than him FFS. 

England have far better and hungrier players to take and credit to Southgate for dropping Sterling in favor of them. 

Edited by Cicero

55 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He has the worst goal contribution ratio per 90 out of any of our attackers. He plays like a 20 year old when he is one of the most experienced players on the pitch. He doesn't lead by example and I can count on my hand (4) the amount of times he selfishly missed a goal scoring opportunity that would of likely had us get all 3 points. He's a player that relied heavily on Pep's system and having less accountability. He's looked up to as one of the leaders here and he is floundering. I think his motivation in the game is gone. Even Mudryk is doing better than him FFS. 

England have far better and hungrier players to take and credit to Southgate for dropping Sterling in favor of them. 

Yeah I think on form it's absolutely right to drop Sterling. He's dropped off a cliff since leaving Cheaty - and as one of the senior players at Chelsea, he's demonstrated an astounding lack of leadership. I don't see him suddenly improving unless Chelsea have a sudden improvement tbh. From the outside looking in, it just looks like a guy seeing out his career in the least stressful way possible.

By the same token, I don't understand how Henderson still gets in the squad. Was shit in Saudi Arabia. Now getting a lot of flak from Ajax fans. Experience is certainly valuable, but just on paper... there's got to be better midfield options than him who are performing at a higher level than him.

13 hours ago, Danny said:

Sterling is a top player, but for me, what has always let him down is his finishing ability. He's not the best finisher and I think that being able to take your chances at a huge competition like the European Championships is crucial. 

11 hours ago, Cicero said:

What's the unnecessary dig at Mudryk for? He's a young player with huge ability. He's shown his amazing potential in certain matches this season and he is clearly a player with huge ability. Is he the finished article, of course he isn't and shouldn't expected to be at his age. His inconsistency is kind of understandable at this stage of his career and playing at a disjointed Chelsea side doesn't really help. His huge transfer fee was always going to be a burden, but just looking at his natural talent, he's set to become an astounding player.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

Sterling is a top player, but for me, what has always let him down is his finishing ability. He's not the best finisher and I think that being able to take your chances at a huge competition like the European Championships is crucial. 

He didn’t need to be a goalscorer to have a massive impact for England, his running on and off the ball was integral to how we played. But he scored 3 goals at the Euros which is a good record for most players

Sterling really did step up at the last Euro's. Perhaps having the likes of Rashford, Grealish, Foden & Sancho in the queue forced the best out him.

Anthony Gordon at 23 is looking like the future as the right footer on the left. Pleased he's got in.

Would like to know the full Ben White story. Sounds very much like his issue is Ezri Konsa's gain.

On 19/03/2024 at 17:47, The Palace Fan said:

I'd have Mainoo alongside Rice in the XI at the minute so hopefully he gets a good amount of minutes against Brazil.

Has to be Rice with Bellingham and Foden ahead.