Group Stage - 1st

Round of 16 - Spain 4-1 Georgia
Quarter-Finals - Spain (aet)2-1 Germany
Semi-Finals - Spain 2-1 France

Top Scorer - Dani Olmo - 3

ENGLAND - Route to the Final
Group Stage - 1st
Round of 16 - England 2-1 Slovakia
Quarter-Finals - England 1-1 Switzerland (England win 5-3 on pens)
Semi-Finals - Netherlands 1-2 England

Top Scorer - Harry Kane - 3

Team History in European Championships

SPAIN
Last Euros Final - 2012 - Spain 4-0 Italy
Times Won - 3
Runners-Up - 1

ENGLAND
Last Euros Final - 2021 - Italy (p) 1-1 England
Times Won - 0
Runners-Up - 1

• Subscriber

Miracle is pushing it. We're clearly a bit of a 'moments' team and say what you like about these players, the performances, they are stepping up when they're needed. I said it at the time of the Slovakia goal - an absolute one in a million goal to potentially save a tournament. That's just simply not the sort of thing England players do in my experience.

I think Spain are a better team and will win the game, but England do have a shot.

• Subscriber

Spain need to blow any chances of recovery away in the first half. I can't see this England side responding to an absolute trashing which Spain are very capable of doing. Having said that, if it stays 1-1 or 0-0 and we enter the later stages of the second half England will win it.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Argentina beat France in the last World Cup final.

England absolutely can beat Spain in this Euro's final.

The scenarios aren't comparable, surely?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

The scenarios aren't comparable, surely?

Partly my point?

I also partly rated France as significant favourites vs Argentina.

When the proven Mbappe France were up against perennial he'll never quite do it Messi Argentina.

There's a few calling for a Spain demolition of England. Or England requiring miracles.

I just don't see it that way... I'd give you my full prediction, but you never seem keen for my/Villa input.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Partly my point?

I also partly rated France as significant favourites vs Argentina.

When the proven Mbappe France were up against perennial he'll never quite do it Messi Argentina.

There's a few calling for a Spain demolition of England. Or England requiring miracles.

I just don't see it that way... I'd give you my full prediction, but you never seem keen for my/Villa input.

The way the post was made it seem like England were compared to Argentina in their respective finals of being nowhere near favourites. I'd say Argentina vs France was more of an even match-up compared to Spain vs England.

Not sure about the 'not keen for your input' though. Don't recall any arguments or controversial points made :what:. Even if you did put your prediction across there's not much I'd be able to do to change it anyway, or why I'd even want to xD 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Spain need to blow any chances of recovery away in the first half. I can't see this England side responding to an absolute trashing which Spain are very capable of doing. Having said that, if it stays 1-1 or 0-0 and we enter the later stages of the second half England will win it.

England honestly are helped by going 1-0 down. We're crap at going 1-0 up and at least going 1-0 down seems to make our mind up. Force us to actually have to go for it.

We're yet to face a side close to Spain's quality really though. I thought the Dutch would offer a lot more - but in truth they're just another side who lucked it getting this far. They had a lot of fortune in their route as well all considered.

This has to be one of the best if not the best road to the final of any Euros.

Beating Croatia, Italy, Germany and France, all very relevant sides in recent years, is no mean feat.

GSJ4xtea-UAA1s-JY-format-jpg-name-medium

Spain were quite good last Euro and WC too. But this year no one other than Germany has come close imo. 
The French were dedicated to anti football
The Netherlands and England have been a shambles
Italy, Portugal and Belgium were genuine garbage.

Spain have just 1 game to go, and if they hold their nerve and no crazy luck or bad luck is involved, you'd expect them to win at a canter. But this is Southgates England, and weird shit like Hernandez barging a player over in the box with minutes to go, or a random worldie going top bins, or the worst penalty decision of the tournament just keeps on keeping on. Surely somethings gotta give. 

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Dan said:

England honestly are helped by going 1-0 down. We're crap at going 1-0 up and at least going 1-0 down seems to make our mind up. Force us to actually have to go for it.

We're yet to face a side close to Spain's quality really though. I thought the Dutch would offer a lot more - but in truth they're just another side who lucked it getting this far. They had a lot of fortune in their route as well all considered.

I think the subs in the last game really saved you'll in the end. Had you'll persisted with Kane and Foden I can't see how you'll progress. But, this is your mode of operation now and if you hold this Spanish side to a draw I guarantee you'll walk away victors here. I can't see you'll keeping them pinned for way too long since their passing game is very good and while they may be missing someone like Pedri to help the offensive side of things they have Olmo who has shown he is more than capable of providing enough problems to any defense.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Spain were quite good last Euro and WC too. But this year no one other than Germany has come close imo. 
The French were dedicated to anti football
The Netherlands and England have been a shambles
Italy, Portugal and Belgium were genuine garbage.

Spain have just 1 game to go, and if they hold their nerve and no crazy luck or bad luck is involved, you'd expect them to win at a canter. But this is Southgates England, and weird shit like Hernandez barging a player over in the box with minutes to go, or a random worldie going top bins, or the worst penalty decision of the tournament just keeps on keeping on. Surely somethings gotta give. 

Usually for England, it's the possibility of winning a trophy xD we had the lead in the Italy shootout.

Football's margins are so fine and extreme takes shouldn't be made until 11pm Sunday. If we win, well it's a first trophy in 58 years, our first on foreign soil ever, a step forward for the country I believe to be the biggest underachievers of all at international level. Lose the game and ultimately Southgate and the players have failed to cash in a trophy, yet again, despite as many circumstances as you could possibly wish to have go your way have done.

This tournament will not be remembered fondly at all if England lose a game that we're expected to lose. The history isn't on our side.

I'll caveat all of this by saying, I call England we, us etc... I am an England fan, but I haven't got anywhere near the emotional investment plenty of others have in it. I'm a completely different animal with Leicester. The other day my mate was watching the Netherlands game and couldn't even speak to people through nerves. In a way I envy him but then why do I, all it's brought him so far is pain xD 

England need to win to shift the mentality in this country. We need to respect winning again. We're too obsessed with doing fairly well or looking good. A deep rooted participation mentality - which I flagged in the "why won't your country win the Euros" thread pre-tournament. I think it's massive copium myself. Winning is what matters. If you want to be considered a top team, these are the standards.

4 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Real Madrid a few times under Zidane as well.

They were a bit shit but weren't finishing outside the top 5 in their league shit. Or playing 11 in the box park the bus shit, they just weren't a top 3 or 4 side on paper.