talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Nothing in it mate. Apart from City who are streets ahead of the rest of us, there’s literally nothing in it. 

Have to agree there. no one knows which Arsenal turns up for matchdays so as long as we focus on our games and I think we're going to get a lot better considering our run of games I think we'll be fine. I can't imagine Klopp doing what he did today against other teams even if the experiment wasn't a total disaster like people predicted before the game.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very poor quality in midfield for both teams for me this evening, particularly on the ball. The goal we concede comes from us not being fully comfortable to play out under pressure from the back, if you're going to do it against this Liverpool team you have to be sure of it, concentrated and do it with quality, purpose and confidence, otherwise it plays into Liverpool's hands and they'll punish you. The phase of play we had before the Salah goal was shaky stuff and not nice to watch, with only Christensen, Luiz (who wasn't playing) and Azpi (but at a push) being fully comfortable on the ball.

Kante is one of the best in the world but quality on the ball isn't his strong point, Baka who was poor (his passing or ability on the ball goes one or two ways and when it's bad, it can look very bad). Then the neutrals had the joys of watching the likes of Drinkwater, Henderson, Ox and Milner. All this lot together, welcome to the Premier League.

Hazard and Salah provided the quality tonight, more or less them two against each other. 

Azpi was amazing but we know that already. 

Dave had a few games where he was "poor" for his standard but i just feel we are used to him being brilliant all the time. Felt our midfield was poor and i felt we would control. Drinkwater the best of the three, and Cesc very good after coming on. After our goal i thought we would go and win it but to be fair we didn't deserve more. Bakayoko and Alonso were both very poor, hope Baka can improve still a new league for him and we must get cover for Alonso as he is terrible.

1 minute ago, True Blue said:

Dave had a few games where he was "poor" for his standard but i just feel we are used to him being brilliant all the time. Felt our midfield was poor and i felt we would control. Drinkwater the best of the three, and Cesc very good after coming on. After our goal i thought we would go and win it but to be fair we didn't deserve more. Bakayoko and Alonso were both very poor, hope Baka can improve still a new league for him and we must get cover for Alonso as he is terrible.

Yeah mate, that's true for the whole back five really.

Alonso has always been shite.

Zappa I'd say has been a generous 7 in his Chelsea career so far, he's very direct and has a surprising ability to actually be able to run at players, like the whole back five he's made some mistakes but I guess you can be relatively pleased with him. I've kept a close eye however on his crossing and it's no better than Moses' so far, you pay for what you get though. Zappacosta had a lot of space in the game today but his final ball was lacking.

• Subscriber
23 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Wasn't a bad game tbh. 

First half, I thought Leicester probably edged and controlled the midfield. The pass from Ndidi to Vardy that led to Leicester's goal was fantastic. That said, after West Ham's poor start, they come into the game from the 30th-35th minute and deserved a goal before the break. 

Second half felt like attack vs defence and West Ham couldn't finish anything, though they come close a couple of times. I see the Ayew incident has been mentioned, I thought no foul at the time and at live viewing, I thought he was outside of the box. 

As for the ground, it's awful. I had some Dutch lads one side of me and the other, Elijah Wood, his Mrs and his ginger kid that watched kids tv on an iPad. The Americans turned up after 20 minutes and left after an hour. Atmosphere wise, the second half was better but the noise is just inaudible cheers, unless it's Bubbles, and it wasn't that good. 

It seemed a tourist event, really. Or a show, rather than a game of Football. Popcorn, doughnuts and people taking pictures at every opportunity just killed anything resembling an atmosphere. 

You've summed up why I've got no interest in going back. It's a weird experience and it's not a good one. Like I said, I saw us take our first away win in nearly a year there last season and it was still shit.

We've been unlucky with decisions yet again. That's a penalty on Albrighton for sure - you've got a very different game if we go 2 up.

• Subscriber

Another absolutely terrible performance. Jonjoe Kenny took a little poke to the face down in the corner before they scored and that left us short changed at the back. Should have gone down screaming and holding his face and that would have stopped the move but he obviously hasn't learned that one yet.

We don't deserve to be level but are as Sigurdsson actually looks like Sigurdsson for the first time this season.

Southampton are shite and beatable. Not as shite and beatable as us but you've got to take chances to get a result when they come along. If we get into them early second half we might put the shits up them and put them on the back foot. Maybe a few pigs will fly over the stadium as well.

Why don't Everton look at Chris Hughton?

Is he really that much of a worse option than people like Dyche & Allardyce who they've already been heavily interested in, and they've even held talks with Allardyce. He's not a glamour name by any stretch, but he's a quality manager, so under-rated.

• The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived