talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group D Matchday 2 - 21/22 June - Argentina 0-3 Croatia, Nigeria 2-0 Iceland

football forum

• Administrator

Argentina are like that team you create on Football Manager with loads of good players but they can't win a game for shit because there's no cohesion or connection between them. 

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

That was absolute AIDS as far as Argentina is concerned. Just a shambles all over the pitch and the buck stops with Sampaoli. If you can't progress through the groups with Messi, Aguero, Dybala, Higuain etc then something is seriously wrong - I'd be shocked if he isn't sacked as soon as their exit is confirmed. 

Also, you simply cannot expect to go to a major tournament with a second string goalkeeper. Willy has played the square root of fuck all yet starts for Argentina? Jog on. At fault for the first and nowhere near the second or third, appalling.

Obviously beyond awful for the first goal, but second goal nothing he could do and made a great save for the 3rd

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

That was depressingly bad from Argentina. I don't like to knee jerk but you could argue on that performance, with a lack of a standout team to beat so far, Croatia could be a bit of a dark horse.

As for Argentina, people will try to make this all about Messi when there's not much he could have done to change the final result. Others will absolve him of blame because his team mates were so poor but that doesn't excuse him being very bad as well. I think when an entire team looks that clueless you've got to look at the manager. I don't know much about Sampaoli admittedly but they looked like they had no idea what they were meant to be doing. Let's not kid ourselves here that Argentina are lacking in personnel either. This isn't their best side but with Messi, Higuain, Dybala, Aguero, Di Maria, Banega etc at their disposal they should be doing so much better as most of those players would walk into most other squads at the tournament.

i have to disagree.     they're all professionals playing for giant teams.    they don't need guidance.    coz we've seen it with Spain, they played like good players should play, they don't have a proper manager in Hierro but they did what they're meant to do.

1 minute ago, ASF said:

Only saw the last 15 minutes, so didn't catch Caballero's mistake.

Before catching the bus home, I went to the toilet at the Alvaláxia (the mall inside of Sporting's stadium) and they were showing the Argentinean anthem. Messi was obviously not up for it and I sensed that this wasn't going to bode well for them.

The timing might seem a bit convenient, but judging by what was happening to Argentina before the WC started, it didn't take much to realize they weren't going far in Russia. Cancelling the friendly with Israel; not wanting to play a friendly against someone like Malta or San Marino instead; Cutting the training sessions, that were programmed, short.

It would be nice to see Iceland topping this group. Practically no one gave them a chance, before the tournament started, and they could win what was the most difficult group.

I wish Iran was in this group instead of with Spain and Portugal :( 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Messi saved Argentina (made them qualify) against ECUADOR while here they played Croatia and got done like kippers. Only a month ago they got whipped 6-1 by Spain.

That says something doesn’t it?

Messi on his own (practically because look at the stats with him and without) can beat shit sides playing with this Argentinian team but he ain’t got a hope in hell with decent sides and against very good sides it’s a slaughter house. 

This is so true. Messi alone make Argentina feared by everyone, even by the best sides. Everyone respects Argentina when Messi is playing and this is not nothing, on the contrary.

This is a significant advantage they have, but they can´t make anything out of it because their coach simply has no idea of what to do with this squad and their midifield is a hot mess.

@DeadLinesman Has a point to be fair. Messi looks very disinterested. 

Can only assume it is down to Messi accepting the reality he's in. He can't carry this team any furthur. 

He's playing with a very poor team under a manager implementing tactics that can't get the best out of everyone. Nor playing alongside a proper midfield. 

1 minute ago, The Käiser said:

Maybe Iran will surprise Portugal with a win.  

Theyve shown great defensive powers and can neutralize CR7 and perhaps nick a win. 

Many teams are still in the bubble

Nah he will score in the first 10 minutes.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

@DeadLinesman Has a point to be fair. Messi looks very disinterested. 

Can only assume it is down to Messi accepting the reality he's in. He can't carry this team any furthur. 

He's playing with a very poor team under a manager implementing tactics that can't get the best out of everyone. Nor playing alongside a proper midfield. 

Was similar to the last World Cup even though they got to the Final.

3 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Argentina will probably still qualify and end up winning the Cup xD

That ain’t gonna happen, BUT IF IT DID! xD

The forum would become minced meat. Hahaha

Nah... A shambles of this category shouldn’t be permitted to continue in this tournament. Not that too many sides have been amazing to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Panna King said:

Was similar to the last World Cup even though they got to the Final.

They were defensively solid, which is what you must be as a lynchpin if yoire not the best on paper. I'm not sure what has happened but I remember Argentina of 2014 being pretty dour, but effective at shutting the other team out. Now they are dour but a calamity at the back, have any big names gone or are just older?

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That ain’t gonna happen, BUT IF IT DID! xD

The forum would become minced meat. Hahaha

Nah... A shambles of this category shouldn’t be permitted to continue in this tournament. Not that too many sides have been amazing to be honest. 

Sometimes it´s better to be eliminated in the group stage. A team with better forwards would have trashed Argentina today. 

As a brazilian I know I´m saying. I´d give everything to have been eliminated against Chile in 2014. It´d have been much better than being humiliated by Germany. xD

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

They were defensively solid, which is what you must be as a lynchpin if yoire not the best on paper. I'm not sure what has happened but I remember Argentina of 2014 being pretty dour, but effective at shutting the other team out. Now they are dour but a calamity at the back, have any big names gone or are just older?

• This is the team in 2014

• 1Romero
  • 4Zabaleta
  • 15DemichelisBooked at 49mins
  • 2Garay
  • 16Rojo
  • 6Biglia
  • 14Mascherano
  • 8PérezSubstituted forPalacioat 81'minutes
  • 10Messi
  • 22LavezziSubstituted forRodríguezat 101'minutes
  • 9HiguaínSubstituted forAgüeroat 82'minutes

Substitutes

• 3Campagnaro
  • 5Gago
  • 11Rodríguez
  • 12Orión
  • 13Fernández
  • 17Fernandez
  • 18Palacio
  • 19Álvarez
  • 20Agüero
  • 21Andújar
  • 23Basanta

5 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Sometimes it´s better to be eliminated in the group stage. A team with better forwards would have trashed Argentina today. 

As a brazilian I know I´m saying. I´d give everything to have been eliminated against Chile in 2014. It´d have been much better than being humiliated by Germany. xD

100% agree with you and what’s more... When you’re in a situation such as this one, change only happens by being humbled. I know no fan wants his team to lose because this is something that goes against our tribal nature as humans, but sometimes being pragmatic and taking a serious knock, wakes you up to see how wrong you were doing things. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Banega on the bench for a totally passed it Mascherano and a useless Perez is unforgiveable lol.

Banega probably should’ve played (Lo Celso more so), but even Banega is a very poor man’s solution. He’s one of the most inconsistent players I’ve ever seen. The thing is that when he’s good (the odd occasion) he’s pretty good.

Argentina have major issues with the pool of midfield players at home.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Banega probably should’ve played (Lo Celso more so), but even Banega is a very poor man’s solution. He’s one of the most inconsistent players I’ve ever seen. The thing is that when he’s good (the odd occasion) he’s pretty good.

Argentina have major issues with the pool of midfield players at home.

Say what you will about Banega, but in this squad...  but Mascherano (who at the end of his club career was better as a CB than a DM - I'm not surprised he looks nowhere like the midfield general he once was at all) and Perez, who I think is totally dogshite... I just can't see how the manager could have justified it. I'll take your word on Lo Celso, I've not watched a lot of PSG (nor do I see myself doing that anytime in the near future lol) - but Banega is class regardless of his inconsistency imo. Not world class (because you can't be world class and inconsistent at the club level), but certainly better than the other central midfielders their manager preferred.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Messi fan over Ronaldo but....

When Portugal were in the shit and needed inspiration, Ronaldo was there.

When Argentina were in the shit and needed inspiration, Messi went missing. 

I think I know who id want in my team when the chips were down...

• The title was changed to Group D Matchday 2 - 21/22 June - Argentina 0-3 Croatia, Nigeria 2-0 Iceland
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived