talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other News & General Chat

football forums

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Rucksackfranzose I don't get your point mate 

Let's put it that way: It's debatable, whether it's appropriate to call a country not bad at the moment, when more than a seventh-part of the electorate voted for a party as chauvinisticly nationalist as ReformUK.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Let's put it that way: It's debatable, whether it's appropriate to call a country not bad at the moment, when more than a seventh-part of the electorate voted for a party as chauvinisticly nationalist as ReformUK.

Fair enough. But I'm glad over half the country voted for left or central left. And also glad that France rejected the far right. I can tolerate moderate conservatives. I don't like it but I can tolerate it. But the hatred the far right spread is worrying. 

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Interesting view since Reform UK had 14.3 % of the vote, for comparison AFD won 10.4 % last Bundestagswahl (German GE), when almost all news about those elections other than Merkel retiring in English speaking media were about them.😄

The English media are fucking obsessed with the "rise of the far right" in any country.

It's absolutely painful. Farage and his bunch clearly have a ceiling of about 20-25% in the UK. They managed to sneak Brexit through (barely) because it's a single-issue referendum which didn't leave us with Farage with any power afterwards and because some of the Conservative Party were braindead enough to attach themselves to it out of sheer opportunism.

They made a load of noise about the AfD a few weeks ago and they were making loads of noise about Le Pen just like they have done every time in my adult life that there's been an election in France.

What people need to realise is that the more prominent the far right become, the more mobilised their voters might be, but for every far-right voter that mobilises in any country that isn't completely broken beyond all repair, you'll have 3-4 voters who make sure they turn up and vote for whichever party or candidate will keep the far-right out of power, even if they have to hold their nose for a week afterwards.

That's the thing with the far right leaders. They inspire more love from their base than any other part of the electorate but they also inspire more hatred and fear from the rest.

If any UK minded people think I'm wrong and fear Farage becoming PM in 5 years then see the polling below. If there's any remote probability of Farage getting a sniff of power at the next election, the electorate will be out in their droves voting for Labour, Lib Dem, SNP, Green, Independents and even a centre right Conservative Party if there is one, to keep him out. Starmer vs Farage provides the biggest level of support for any leader in these head to heads.

20240708_113637.thumb.jpg.5519675f9d80193e35df879c82764cb7.jpg

Anyway, back to Le Pen. The footage of her party watching the exit poll and her crying last night is perfect.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

UK ✅

France ✅

USA ⏳

Genuinely scared for America tbh. The media is doing all it can to make it seem like a senile dickhead is worse than a failed former president with authoritarian ambitions. Mainstream media isn't even really bothering to cover Trump's involvement with the recently unsealed Epstein trial documents: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/epstein-documents-trump.html

I think a big part of it is the media generally likes and wants Trump back in office. Which makes sense when you consider they're all owned by corporate interests that all benefit from a US government devoted to slavishly serving corporate interests. But it's sad and weird.

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Genuinely scared for America tbh. The media is doing all it can to make it seem like a senile dickhead is worse than a failed former president with authoritarian ambitions. Mainstream media isn't even really bothering to cover Trump's involvement with the recently unsealed Epstein trial documents: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/epstein-documents-trump.html

I think a big part of it is the media generally likes and wants Trump back in office. Which makes sense when you consider they're all owned by corporate interests that all benefit from a US government devoted to slavishly serving corporate interests. But it's sad and weird.

Yeah and the fact that Trump is good for business with all of his scandals while Biden is generally boring and gives them no stories apart from when he staggers slightly on a step on air force one.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wasn't the continued focus on "the Epstein files" being driven by right wingers wanting to take down "Hollywood's liberal elite"? Trump, as expected, is involved and they suddenly don't care anymore. 😆

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Wasn't the continued focus on "the Epstein files" being driven by right wingers wanting to take down "Hollywood's liberal elite"? Trump, as expected, is involved and they suddenly don't care anymore. 😆

Pretty much

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Stan said:

All kicking off in Harehills, in West Yorkshire. 

Standard gammon behaviour as a result. 

Roma community going crazy because of social services taking kids away or something. They burned a bus! Don't want the police to go crazy but they should be able to do something. I'm guessing the hope is that things will calm down and they'll deal with specific people at that time.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, 6666 said:

Roma community going crazy because of social services taking kids away or something. They burned a bus! Don't want the police to go crazy but they should be able to do something. I'm guessing the hope is that things will calm down and they'll deal with specific people at that time.

Apparently the baby had a head injury so the other kids were taken away for their safety. 

Police were clearly outnumbered based on the videos. They have to think of their own safety as well so if they have to retreat temporarily so be it, until other resources can arrive. 

It's ironic the rioters have turned behaved like that when social services were just doing their job. Guess it's mob mentality though. Ironically if social services just walked away and anything else happened to the children, social services would be slaughtered either way and asked 'why didn't you do anything?!' 

4 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

If a world war III or major conflict in Europe does occur, I've decided that I'm running away to Brazil to claim asylum! @El Profesor.

Let´s exchange passports, Chris. Even if a major conflict occurs in Europe, it´s probably better than living in Brazil. 😅

• Subscriber

(Climate Change thread locked - Climate Change)

Kew Gardens prepares for climate change tree loss

image.thumb.png.d4d9279ed3aebcdda7229d22ec601344.png

More than half of Kew Gardens' 11,000 trees could could be at risk before the end of the century due to the effects of climate change, its scientists have warned.

These could include English oak, beech, silver birch and holly trees, which they say could be vulnerable to warmer temperatures and longer dry spells.....