talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chris Hughton Sacked

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Expected? Maybe taken them as far as he can. The way they ended this season and played in the 2nd half of the season pretty much has been seriously underwhelming. Only won 3 since new year I think.

• Administrator

Chairman Tony Bloom said: “Chris has done an excellent job over the past four and a half years. First stabilising our club, reaching the play-offs in his first full season, securing our first-ever promotion to the Premier League, and retaining our status in two successive seasons.

“Undoubtedly, this has been one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make as chairman of Brighton & Hove Albion, but ultimately one I have made due to how we struggled in the second half of the season.

“Our run of 3 wins from 23 Premier League matches put our status at significant risk. It is with that in mind, and the performances during that period, that I now feel it’s the right time for a change.

“Chris will always be very fondly remembered by Albion staff and fans as one of our club’s finest and most-respected managers.

“I would like to wish Chris, Paul and Paul – who have all worked extremely hard throughout their time here – every success for the future, and thank them on behalf of everyone at the club.

“They will always be welcome at the Amex, and will be remembered here with great affection.”

The club have confirmed that the process to find Chris’s successor is underway, and that there will be no further comment at this stage.

• The title was changed to Chris Hughton Sacked

Strange one, this. 

I think he’s met his target this year in survival. I’m not sure you could have asked for anything else from him this season and he’s led the club to an FA Cup Semi-Final for the first time in 25+ years, though that may have effected their league results, which, admittedly have been pretty awful (losses to Cardiff, Bournemouth, Southampton, Burnley and Fulham) since that cup run started.

I get fans may want more and may want to see someone take over with a perceived better style of football but I do also think, be careful what you wish for. Brighton’s sole ambition, IMO, should be 17th or above every season for the foreseeable. Get that money in each year over a period of say three-to-four seasons and then start looking a little bit further up the league. 

• Subscriber

I can see why they've done it but it does feel harsh. He should be judged on what he achieved over the course of a season and you'd say keeping Brighton in the league for a second consecutive season is a success given the stature and finances you've got there.

This one could go either way because if they go down next season they'll get ridiculed for sacking Hughton, but theyll look genius if they pull a Adkins > Poch appointment out of the bag and manage to consolidate their position in the top flight for a few more years. Equally though, keeping Hughton could have seen things go either way.

Hughton, as likeable as he is, is a bit of a dog in terms of style. However, I can only see this being worthwhile if they've got someone incoming who is markedly different in style and also going to be backed with a bit of money to see themselves fighting for midtable mediocrity.

He’s spent a lot of money on players that literally didn’t do anything this season, I’m not surprised he was sacked. It was sack him or back him time, and he gave them evidence not to back him. That leaves one other option

Not too surprising this.

They were in free fall in the second half of the season and if either we got one more win (the away game against Fulham being arguably the big disappointment) or Fulham themselves generally didn't shit the bed and performed as expected, Brighton would be down now. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He’s spent a lot of money on players that literally didn’t do anything this season, I’m not surprised he was sacked. It was sack him or back him time, and he gave them evidence not to back him. That leaves one other option

I don’t think Brighton’s transfer model is as simple as Hughton buys the players.

• Subscriber

It's pretty brutal but I do get it completely. I had them as a sure bet for relegation 24 hours ago and now I don't. I don't get this mentality that clubs aren't allowed to show ambition.

11 hours ago, Danny said:

I don’t think Brighton’s transfer model is as simple as Hughton buys the players.

But why? Smaller clubs imo are more likely to take the more “traditional” approach 

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48286337

Kick It Out have "unreservedly apologised" to Brighton following comments made by its Head of Development Troy Townsend over the dismissal of Chris Hughton.

Hughton was sacked by Brighton on Monday after securing them a 17th-placed finish in the Premier League.

Townsend then criticised the decision in a Daily Telegraph interview.

Kick It Out said it apologised "for the impact the comments have had on the club's reputation".

The anti-racism body added in a statement it was also sorry for any inference from Townsend's comments that Hughton's sacking was "linked in any way to his ethnicity".

Hughton, 60, who was contracted with the Seagulls until 2021, was one of just two black managers in the Premier League.

The former Newcastle and Norwich boss had guided Albion to an FA Cup semi-final earlier this season, where they lost 1-0 to Manchester City at Wembley.

Townsend, father of Crystal Palace forward Andros, described Hughton's dismissal as "shabby" in the interview.

He said: "We are now at worse than square one. What people don't understand is the real difficulties for black managers getting through the bottle neck at the top of football. We are talking about measly numbers.

"It's so shabby. What are the expectations of Brighton? Surely it is to stay in the league. You are fourth from bottom and you have got to an FA Cup semi-final. I don't get it.

"They must have been planning it for some time. Look at how Chris has been treated at Newcastle and Norwich and now Brighton? Being nice is his nature, but I know behind closed doors he is a different guy, he knows how to get his teams going. He has given Brighton another year of Premier League football and he gets repaid like this? Really?"

Hughton first joined Brighton in December 2014 and led the club to the Premier League for the first time in 2017.

1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Tbf, it's arguably showing a bit more ambition than the merry go round managers like Hughes and Pardew. 

I didn’t suggest they should do that, just questioning what they’ve seen in a season in professional English Football that suggests he’s good enough to make that jump so soon. I haven’t seen much to suggest he should, essentially, be fast tracked into a lofty position in the Premier League. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Couldn't find a Brighton thread, only this?

682068473_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.93af483ee71db61566c08b91c8177f1d.png

Brighton and Hove Albion ground staff sacking 'a witch-hunt'

Employees of Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club claim they were unfairly dismissed in a "witch-hunt" after team selection was leaked online.

Three members of ground staff were allegedly denied disciplinary hearings or reasons for their sacking on Friday.

The GMB union said the dismissal "stinks" and called for Brighton to reinstate workers.

The Premier League club said it does not comment on "matters which it regards as confidential".

Brighton announced team selections were being leaked from October 2018.

'Dream job'

Ex-deputy head groundsman Ashley Smith, 34, said he was taken into "private meetings" and questioned along with his colleagues from April.

The meetings were not recorded and the employees were allegedly told: "they were helping with the inquiry".

"It was a dream job that has been taken off me for no reason," he said.

"I have a family mortgage and it's going to have a massive impact on my whole life. I haven't been sleeping since."

GMB branch secretary Mark Turner said: "No evidence has been found or presented by the club during this near three-month investigation which links our members to the supposed social media team leaks, yet they dismiss our members without notice.

"This just stinks and considering this club prides itself on its commitment to the standards, values and expectations set by the Premier League, the way they have treated their staff throughout this witch hunt is simply deplorable and unfair."

The GMB and Mr Smith said the workers had appealed against the decision and union are taking legal advice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-48582357

Archived