talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

I agree with what @Stan suggested in other thread.

Challenging for a VAR review should be like in cricket & tennis. 3 challenges each. Lose 1 if the challenge is rejected. Keep the challenge if challenge is approved.

May even have a side effect of improving behaviour toward the officials. Focus more on questioning each other if a review is worth it or not.

It certainly seems a significant grey area when reviews & challenges are just among the refs. With varying takes on what is clear & obvious.

40 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I agree with what @Stan suggested in other thread.

Challenging for a VAR review should be like in cricket & tennis. 3 challenges each. Lose 1 if the challenge is rejected. Keep the challenge if challenge is approved.

May even have a side effect of improving behaviour toward the officials. Focus more on questioning each other if a review is worth it or not.

It certainly seems a significant grey area when reviews & challenges are just among the refs. With varying takes on what is clear & obvious.

The issue I have with that is sometimes the VAR official is an absolute fucking moron who's got no ideas what the laws of the game are. Would the challenge for VAR review mean the ref on the pitch has to actually go review the footage?

My big issue with VAR is it should help. But when it doesn't, it's genuinely a case of the blind leading the blind.

• Subscriber

When are people going to admit it's been a complete disaster. I didn't realise quite the scale of what it had taken from the game until I started witnessing games without it again. I cannot explain how big a disaster it is that so many reactions to goals are muted - this is football eating itself.

To make matters worse, you still get games like last night. So the opening weekend of the Premier League has been another weekend of embarrassment, we're still getting contentious decisions - so we're getting very few pros and so many cons.

Nobody will never convince me it's anything other than the biggest assault on any sport.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Dean's comments this week about how he intentionally didn't tell Anthony Taylor to review the monitor for the Cucurella hair pull against Spurs last season because he didn't want Anthony Taylor to receive any further grief pretty much confirms what we all feared.

The officials controlling VAR are not fit for purpose and there needs to be a radical overhaul.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Mike Dean's comments this week about how he intentionally didn't tell Anthony Taylor to review the monitor for the Cucurella hair pull against Spurs last season because he didn't want Anthony Taylor to receive any further grief pretty much confirms what we all feared.

The officials controlling VAR are not fit for purpose and there needs to be a radical overhaul.

It won't be, but this should be the end of Howard Webb and everyone at PGMOL. Not fit to run a bath.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

It won't be, but this should be the end of Howard Webb and everyone at PGMOL. Not fit to run a bath.

Dunno how we ended up with Howard Webb and Mike Riley as the last 2 people in charge of PGMOL. Two refs who's careers were mired with controversy and allegations of shit refereeing... made the top officials in the country. And then we wonder why referees are so dogshit. Has it always been this bad?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

r/LiverpoolFC - PGMOL statement towards Mike Dean's recent VAR comment.

Joke

They can fuck off...

Complete denial in the face of facts.. @The Palace Fan comments are correct, it's what we fear is going on anyway, it's the only logical explanation for some of the most ridiculous decisions we have all seen, It seems to be about who is best mates with who rather than being professional and actually doing the fucking job they are paid to do... 

Does anyone remember that time Clattenburg was in charge of that hostile Chelsea v Spurs match and admitted later he let things ride so he could not be blamed if things went tits up for Spurs.. sad state of affairs all round and makes you wonder just how much really goes on.. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Get their recordings and conversations during a VAR check published live so we and the stadium can hear them. They'll soon change their tune about what they say. 

Disappointed in Dean doing that. It's just profoundly unprofessional at the end of the day and raises more unnecessary questions. How many other refs are following suit? How many teams have been denied because of this pally nature being put forward before the integrity of following the rules? 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Get their recordings and conversations during a VAR check published live so we and the stadium can hear them

I thought they were supposed to be doing a 'live' feed for this season on Monday night football for VAR??? did that die a death before even getting launched?? 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I thought they were supposed to be doing a 'live' feed for this season on Monday night football for VAR??? did that die a death before even getting launched?? 

I think it's only selected times where they'll play back conversations on some MNF nights from previous games. Not seen any news that they'll do a live feed. 

I think at the very least they could do what they did for Women's World Cup, and have the on-field ref explain the decision even on a basic level. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think it's only selected times where they'll play back conversations on some MNF nights from previous games. Not seen any news that they'll do a live feed. 

I think at the very least they could do what they did for Women's World Cup, and have the on-field ref explain the decision even on a basic level. 

Only ended up watching the final, but was pleasantly surprised when I heard the ref mention to the crowd about the decision and saying it was a pen.

Can't see any reason why that can't happen, though after what was mentioned above, it won't happen.

Why Mike Dean did what he did has been totally lost in all this. 

Managers and players have created a toxic culture that has got referees scared. To the point a ref compromised professional integrity for compassion. 

Whilst I'm all for putting a mic on the refs like in Rugby, it has to coincide with strong discipline from managers and players or refs will be on a further hiding to nothing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Honey Honey said:

Why Mike Dean did what he did has been totally lost in all this. 

Managers and players have created a toxic culture that has got referees scared. To the point a ref compromised professional integrity for compassion. 

Whilst I'm all for putting a mic on the refs like in Rugby, it has to coincide with strong discipline from managers and players or refs will be on a further hiding to nothing.

I do hope they remain strong with this yellow card stance. Arsenal tried to push the boundaries of it so many times on Monday, and on occasion, successfully did so due to their persistence. 

After a month of growing pains these players will recognise this rule is here to stay and they'll change their tone. 

15 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I do hope they remain strong with this yellow card stance. Arsenal tried to push the boundaries of it so many times on Monday, and on occasion, successfully did so due to their persistence. 

After a month of growing pains these players will recognise this rule is here to stay and they'll change their tone. 

There's so much inconsistency so far in punishing dissent. Even within games.

I suppose that might be fine if they punish enough times to make it a deterrent. Jury's still out for me whether they will.

Without doubt there's going to be teams that pay a price which another team on another day doesn't.

That could determine big events. Ensue bitterness.

It's always been the case that outcomes for a season are impacted by what ref you got what day and what day that ref was having. Far more of an impact than it should have for this sport to be fair. 

3 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

That's a very good point... 

There has been many a time I have told a lie or defended someone I know well in the workplace just to ease their pain because I know how shit the job can be and how easy it is to allow it to get on top of you even if they fucked something up but at the end of the day it's just a job you are trying to do under very difficult circumstances and I don't think anyone of us would want to see a friend in that shitty situation... 

I do however think that the lack of controls and punishments for poor behaviour over the years have kind of made a rod for their own backs by not clamping down on it much sooner... Only in football do you see such an aggressive mob mentality going on in front of a ref.. If they could stamp that out and bring some order to things then maybe it would be easier to make those tough decisions.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yet again, they will release non controversial, straightforward incidents like they did last time. Pointless viewing. 

For being head of refereeing, Webb has been silent through all these terrible decisions we have had already. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Is it just me or do they often sound frantic and panicky? 

Most of the time.

Because they want it to work quickly and probably know the immense pressure they're under...