The better place to talk football.

All Matches - 1-2nd January, 2020

football forum

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Good set of results for us @Dan

Chelsea dropping points, Spurs losing, Wolves losing, Utd losing. Big gap to 4th and below again following 2 losses in last couple of weeks. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Apparently Pogba’s refused to play

Didn't his agent just come out recently and openly state that he needs to be moved to a better club and even said that it should be Juventus?

• Subscriber
On 30/12/2019 at 03:18, Dan said:

We've really got to be winning this. Our gamble at West Ham paid off and our team should be relatively fresh for this game, Newcastle also seem to have lost some form of late, could coincide with losing Saint-Maximin, but there's an argument really that the number of goals their defenders were getting was just never going to be sustained anyway. The majority of things I've read from Newcastle fans are that they've been rubbish but strangely keep getting the results.

I actually think we'll win this really comfortably. Setting myself up for a fall here but I can see us hitting a few. We seem to really turn up at Newcastle as well after it historically being a ground we struggled at, you have to go back to October 2014 for the last time we didn't win there.

I've gone 0-2 on predictions but I might even say more than that. Think we've caught them at a good time.

Game went pretty much exactly as I expected, with a few side notes:

- No Vardy in the squad again, don't mind this providing he's back for the Villa game next week. I want us throwing absolutely everything at that. Luckily I think we'll be fine without him against Wigan.

- Newcastle were abysmal. Second time in four days I've left a ground of a team I used to rate as a lot bigger and better than us and I feel like we could just toy with them if we really wanted to. We've gone such a long way and clubs like them and West Ham the opposite.

- Steve Bruce is an experienced manager. He might not be a tactical genius, but he is at least experienced enough to have handled the pig of a Christmas period you are posed with in this country. How the hell are they in a situation where they've made all three subs by half time and then lose a fourth player to injury within 50 minutes? That's just mis-management and nobody can tell me otherwise.

- We are clearly a good team. We can have off days and still win relatively comfortably. I feel like we're at a really decent level now. I never had any doubts during that game.

- Funny side note. Newcastle fans booed Perez as an ex player. They booed Maddison for diving. They booed Choudhury for the Ritchie injury. Newcastle 0-3 Leicester: Perez, Maddison, Choudhury xD

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Good set of results for us @Dan

Chelsea dropping points, Spurs losing, Wolves losing, Utd losing. Big gap to 4th and below again following 2 losses in last couple of weeks. 

Perfect day really. No way we aren't getting top 4. We're ruthless against the majority of the league, and not a single one of those in contention to catch us have a jot of consistency about them.

We'll make it with absolute ease I think.

Arsenal's first half performance against Man United was one of their best performances since a long time ago. Personally I think the tactics were spot on and the Arsenal lineup was arguably the best and the strongest possible lineup that the team could have. Leno has been an impressive goalkeeper so far this season, where he has made some incredible saves to really help Arsenal. At the back, Sokratis and Luiz are experienced defenders, who made few mistakes against United. Niles is an energetic and talented fullback, while Kolasinac is a safe and reliable leftback.

Torreira and Xhaka controlled the midfield positions with their steel, composure and energy and their passing was on point as well. Pepe and Ozil had one of their best games in ages. Pepe's speed, skill and creativity was evident and the right winger showed his true abilities against United. As for Ozil he really fought for the cause and his passing and movement was impressive. Aubameyang wasn't amazing down the left flank in this game, but out of all the player, he's probably best suited to the left wing position given his pace, intelligent play and even his scoring ability. Lacazette as the main striker is an obvious choice as that is his best position(he's less versatile than Aubameyang) and that's where his forward skill traits can be best utilised.

If Arsenal play like this consistently, then it is inevitable that their results will start to improve. These are the kind of performances that will propel Arsenal towards near the top of the table, a position where they should really be, given their squad and some of the players that they have.

Saw this on twitter today, not sure it's 100% true but he has got to be up there considering he is on near 200k p/w. 

Honestly the management at United is headscratching, literally anyone half competent would have them consistently challenging for the league and Champions League. 

4 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Saw this on twitter today, not sure it's 100% true but he has got to be up there considering he is on near 200k p/w. 

Honestly the management at United is headscratching, literally anyone half competent would have them consistently challenging for the league and Champions League. 

There’s a far bigger cancer at Manchester United than the team. It seeps down from the owners who put minimal effort in to extract maximum money. That simply filters down through management and into the players.

Why Brandon Williams isn’t in the team ahead of Shaw I’ll never know. The lad is class and needs game time.

20 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Eddie has been recalled for revenge as well. :ph34r:xD

I know. Bit annoyed about that. Proper shithousery if you play him v Us.

So much so, I'd actually have to applaud you for such cruelty xD

And people wanking over Arsenal and Arteta need to give their heads a wobble. Both goals were direct results of deflections from a defender straight to the goal scorer. Nothing much more apart from that. OGS set that team up to give Arsenal maximum space to exploit. Why we played a high press I’ll never know as our pace never got in behind. Poor yet again from Solksjaer. His win rate is now a paltry 29.5%. Embarrassing.

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

There’s a far bigger cancer at Manchester United than the team. It seeps down from the owners who put minimal effort in to extract maximum money. That simply filters down through management and into the players.

Why Brandon Williams isn’t in the team ahead of Shaw I’ll never know. The lad is class and needs game time.

Yeah we have similar issues at Arsenal, I do think we are at least trying to move in the right direction.

Honestly baffles me how poorly you're run, United should be one of the easier clubs to manage with the right personnel. Woodward is the biggest joke in football, how he kept his job so long is a disgrace. I suppose that alludes totally to your point though, such lack of competence and failure to hold people to account.

• Subscriber

I don't get how Manchester United under-invest, yet despite this seem to still absolutely piss their wage budget away on mediocrity.

Luke Shaw is fucking bang average. How is he being paid like a top player?

EDIT - Just for the sake of interpretation I'm not sarcastically saying you under-invest there. You 100% do. There's literally no reason you couldn't go and sign Mbappe and yet you've been weakened to the degree nobody would consider it one bit realistic. If you were serious you could have world class players all over the pitch. It's criminal.

Utd still spend a shit ton of money on players. It’s not like the squad isn’t invested in. It’s just the wrong players being brought in. When you pay 50m for Fred, you know you have problems. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Rick said:

Utd still spend a shit ton of money on players. It’s not like the squad isn’t invested in. It’s just the wrong players being brought in. When you pay 50m for Fred, you know you have problems. 

That free-kick last night was superb though you gotta admit.

58 minutes ago, Rick said:

£80m for 3 lanes head.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived