talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Interestingly the WHO has now advised against lockdowns, saying they do more damage than good and don't do much, if anything, to control or stop the virus.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/coronavirus-who-backflips-on-virus-stance-by-condemning-lockdowns/news-story/f2188f2aebff1b7b291b297731c3da74

The whole point of the lockdown was to buy time to put the infrastructure and systems in place to control the spread of the virus. The whole pandemic started with one person having the virus. It was blindly obvious that unless literally nobody had it any more, there only had to be one case left in the country to kick it off again as soon as a return to normality was attempted. It was clear from the very start that a lockdown was never going to fully eliminate the problem.

Some countries have used the lockdown to good effect, such as the Isle of Man and New Zealand achieving local elimination of the virus, and preparing protocols for controlling the spread when they opened back up. This has enabled those places to go back to pretty much complete normality. Now this approach isn't achievable in the UK because it isn't a small island nation and it's unsustainable to cancel travel in and out of such a major player in the world economy for an extended period of time. However, what was achievable was a functioning test and trace system and clear protocols for anyone who shows symptoms, tests positive, or returns to the country from some time away.

Governments like the US and the UK that have treated the pandemic as some sort of flash in the pan inconvenience, rather than something that we need to live with for at least a year, convinced themselves that they could do a quick lockdown and then get back to normal without actually putting the work in to make sure workplaces, hospitality venues, universities, schools and households received the appropriate guidance that would minimise the spread of the virus. The British public haven't helped in England, but what do you expect - certain sections of the press and sinister individuals like Nigel Farage have been grooming them to be thick and irresponsible for years. Now suddenly those running the country, who got there by selling the biggest fairytale of all, need the public to actually act in their own best interests and listen to actual evidence and experts. Sorry, lads, you've sort of fucked it on that front.

The UK is the obvious example because that's where most of us reside, or near enough to it. It's not the only country that has suffered a second wave but other comparable countries like Germany, for example, used the lockdown to quash the first wave of the virus, and put measures in place to stop the second wave from overwhelming them. The measures put in place by the British government (what even are they really?) have been indecisive and insufficient so they've left themselves with nowhere to go now, the virus is basically out of control again and the only weapon in their armoury for dealing with it is increased restrictions which should never have happened.

Boris Johnson even admitted their strategy was a "whack-a-mole" strategy. A bit dumb as the thing with whack-a-mole is that the moles keep popping back up even if you do manage to whack them.

Incredibly depressed right now. I'm not against measures per se but just think local restrictions are futile in such a small country, it will come back again. I hope this does help our hospitals and saves live of course. That's the priority, but I'm dreading the knock on effects if this goes on past Christmas for the city, which relies on people coming in and going out so much. 

• Administrator

The prime minister confirms that most areas already subject to local restrictions - on top of the national rules - will automatically move into the "high alert" category - that is, tier two.

In addition Nottinghamshire, east and west Cheshire, and a small area of the High Peak will also move into that tier, he says, after a rise in cases in those areas.

Areas have been in local lockdown for months, what good have they actually done?

You cannot in a country like the UK expect people to go to the shops, restaurants, bars etc and not have the virus spread. New Zealand managed it really well, granted a much smaller country where it’s big cities have the population density of a greater London suburb. But they have managed it extremely well and put managing the virus before managing the economy...and look how they’re doing now

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Areas have been in local lockdown for months, what good have they actually done?

Worked well until August before Eat Out scheme came in and then schools/unis back in September...

Dont forget mass testing came in as well but the worrying thing is hospital admissions, mainly up north, being on the rise. 

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Worked well until August before Eat Out scheme came in and then schools/unis back in September...[\b]

Dont forget mass testing came in as well but the worrying thing is hospital admissions, mainly up north, being on the rise. 

I’ve no idea hence asking, find it surprising that there have been constant lockdowns in places like Leicestershire but they’re still ongoing

Edited by Danny

The worry in the Liverpool region for me is that this local lockdown will see the anti mask and 'scamdemic' loons shout louder than those who simply want proper financial support for businesses and individuals affected and a proper test and trace system at local level to help the region get out of tier 3.

Clearly there needs to be some form of restrictions to help ease the pressure on the local hospitals but questions need to be asked how any area of this country has ended up in this position after the government have spent £12bn on its test and trace system. Now because of mis-information and a lack of explanation on things you get people not adhering to the mask wearing and calling it all a hoax.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Been full of cold all day today, lots of sneezing and a headache. Apparently sneezing isn't sign of it though? Kind of hope it is it or I've had it, want to get it out the way really.

Sneezing usually means it definitely isn't it. It's a dry disease in most cases, dry cough and shortness of breath/fatigue. Might be worth a test just in case.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Been full of cold all day today, lots of sneezing and a headache. Apparently sneezing isn't sign of it though? Kind of hope it is it or I've had it, want to get it out the way really.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Sneezing usually means it definitely isn't it. It's a dry disease in most cases, dry cough and shortness of breath/fatigue. Might be worth a test just in case.

Yeah sneezing is pretty rare if you've caught COVID... but some people who tested positive did report it as a symptom.

If you've got a fever... get tested like I did. It's worth the piece of mind of knowing/not knowing - also if you are COVID positive... then you won't accidentally kill anyone (and that's a plus). But I'd only go get tested if I had a fever in conjunction with other symptoms... which... is what I had, so I did.

But chances are if you don't have a fever and are exhibiting symptoms... it's probably not covid. At least that's my understanding from the people I spoke to in the process of getting tested/getting my results.

But they also said it's not a guarantee that not having a fever with other symptoms means you're covid-free... so :what:

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Going into the winter and normal flu time it's going to be difficult trying to work out what are cold/flu symptoms from the potential virus symptoms.. 

• Upvote 1

Attention you horrible English cunts in Covid hotspots.

You are no longer allowed to enter Wales from Friday as due to the Welsh Government's evidence that had no definitive proof that the English are spreading it further in North Wales when they go on there jollies, as well as most of Wales being in local lockdown that doesn't allow travel out of the areas apart from a list of 'reasonable excuses', you have spread Covid within Wales and should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54540764

Have a nice day. :)

• Haha 3

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Attention you horrible English cunts in Covid hotspots.

You are no longer allowed to enter Wales from Friday as due to the Welsh Government's evidence that had no definitive proof that the English are spreading it further in North Wales when they go on there jollies, as well as most of Wales being in local lockdown that doesn't allow travel out of the areas apart from a list of 'reasonable excuses', you have spread Covid within Wales and should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54540764

Have a nice day. :)

31 minutes ago, tlr said:

Who'd want to go to Wales anyway? :ph34r:

I'm actually planning to for a mini honeymoon next summer as going abroad is too risky xD

Although at the moment I'm not in a covid hot-spot so should be okay...