talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

7 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

That's wee Kaiden's 7th Birthday bash party with his friends up the shoot, just a wee family gathering tomorrow in the house and that's it, trying to explain to him why he can't have a party with his friends is hard but he understands a wee bit, I can't say it's because a lot of bloody moron idiots just can't follow the restrictions with social gatherings and masks and parties just to please their habits of drink and whatnot.

I don't think there's much point blaming wrongdoers mate there will no doubt be a correlation to that but the bottom line is this virus is a nasty piece of work and seems to spread like wildfire, particularly in the most densely populated areas and morso as the weather turns, and good measures will allow it but not stop it.

This is what happened in Melbourne where we locked down early in March and got to literally zero Covid cases over multiple weeks in late May. Then 1 hotel manager and security guard from the airport arrivals quarantine hotel got sick and it surged back out into the community through a cool winter with 20,000 confirmed cases and 800 deaths 

We initially went to a stage 3 lockdown which meant only prep and final year high school students learning on site and all others from home, similar with remote work etc. After 5 weeks that did not significantly bend the curve so we went to hard lockdown.

Other parts of Australia did the same thing the first time round, and kept it away all winter and it still hasn't returned. 

As I see it the European economies have a call to make this winter and it will be whether they are prepared to lock down harshly again or take a more Sweden-like approach and lock down what you can without going to the same extreme as before (and sustain a second wave at least as bad as the first).

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Got a letter from the DHS about our yearly flu jabs and advise to get the jab because of the Coronavirus and to contact the local surgery to make an appointment that we use then we received this text message this morning 

download.png.965426fb1a0f0e20fcc8453e098aba0a.png

Found out a lot of surgeries are not doing jabs because they are getting inundated with people wanting the jab so a lot of alternative places like Town Halls etc are doing the flu jab and the nearest one for me and the wife is Easter Road Hibernian football stadium, the funny bit is our son was going to get the jab and because he is staying with us he will have to go there and he is a Hearts man and Hibernian are Hearts fiercest rivals, he was not happy about going there for the jab. xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Leeds getting added to the cities with local restrictions from midnight tonight. I've not been mixing with other households anyway so won't make too much of a difference to me personally. I'll still see groups of teenagers pratting about down the street in their numbers though.

Wife got the news that her school is not shut down after having 2 confirmed cases.

She was also called privately and told that she was in direct contact with this person for an extended period of time, and person also worked in the nursery where our kid goes every day. 

So wife is getting a test today, if it's positive I suppose I need to get it as well. Hopefully we somehow avoided it. 

27 minutes ago, Eco said:

Wife got the news that her school is not shut down after having 2 confirmed cases.

She was also called privately and told that she was in direct contact with this person for an extended period of time, and person also worked in the nursery where our kid goes every day. 

So wife is getting a test today, if it's positive I suppose I need to get it as well. Hopefully we somehow avoided it. 

Probably better if you've had it and are ok, isn't it? I'd be happier knowing it's passed through me than waiting to get it, and they reckon 80% of humans will get it at some point. Having said that, they haven't a clue who has or who hasn't had it here. False positive/false negatives, the majority of people don't have symptoms etc. The likely number of people who had this virus is going to be so much higher than the recorded cases it makes any analysis almost impossible.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Probably better if you've had it and are ok, isn't it? I'd be happier knowing it's passed through me than waiting to get it, and they reckon 80% of humans will get it at some point. Having said that, they haven't a clue who has or who hasn't had it here.

Yes and no. 

I still haven't heard whether they have confirmed that if you get it once, and survive, then you can't get it again. In fact, I heard rumblings that their was a man in Nevada that has gotten it twice, so I'm not sure. 

But also not great as I have a long history of questionable health. Despite my lifestyle being high to extremely vigorous, I still suffer from Asthma, IBS, and some pretty severe allergies, so I am certainly considered high risk. 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Yes and no. 

I still haven't heard whether they have confirmed that if you get it once, and survive, then you can't get it again. In fact, I heard rumblings that their was a man in Nevada that has gotten it twice, so I'm not sure. 

But also not great as I have a long history of questionable health. Despite my lifestyle being high to extremely vigorous, I still suffer from Asthma, IBS, and some pretty severe allergies, so I am certainly considered high risk. 

Horrible circumstance, not that it's much comfort but a friend of mine who suffers awfully from asthma tested positive and didn't even know he had had it. I hope you manage to avoid it anyhow.

There are some murmurings within the British press about how we go forward, the idea of an all solving vaccine seems to be slowly dying. I did think it odd that people thought there would be one that would wipe out a disease which is structurally similar to the omnipresent cold. We will be living with this virus, not killing it.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Horrible circumstance, not that it's much comfort but a friend of mine who suffers awfully from asthma tested positive and didn't even know he had had it. I hope you manage to avoid it anyhow.

There are some murmurings within the British press about how we go forward, the idea  panacea of a vaccine seems to be slowly dying. I did think it odd that people thought there would be one that would wipe out a disease which structurally similar to the omnipresent cold. We will be living with this virus, not killingn it.

Thanks man. 

I rather hope that we have already had it and just didn't notice, and I'd be fine expect my parents keep checking in because of the asthma thing. 

Reports here are that we are in the last stages of a vaccine that is supposed to be the solution. We shall see. 

9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

If Trump gets the vaccine, is that him in office again? Not that he is any way responsible but the USA would be seen as heroic across the world, potentially.

I have no idea. 

I would you bet my life savings that he would get whopped in the first election because he is such a doofus, but nope. 

Sadly, I'm not sure Biden is the best bet for the Democrats, first off he is really old and certainly doesn't excite the youth in this country as much as some other candidates would have. However, he does have his relationship with Obama which will win him votes. 

But I just don't know anymore. I'm not sure how anyone can vote for him, and I'm shocked when I see First or Second Generation American Women supporting him....it's like they don't understand. 

So yeah, I don't know. I would bet that Trump would have won in January, but COVID hasn't help, the economy has gone balls up, he's making a mess of the BLM movement, so I can only hope the momentum continues and we get Biden/Harris in office. 

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Probably better if you've had it and are ok, isn't it? I'd be happier knowing it's passed through me than waiting to get it, and they reckon 80% of humans will get it at some point. Having said that, they haven't a clue who has or who hasn't had it here. False positive/false negatives, the majority of people don't have symptoms etc. The likely number of people who had this virus is going to be so much higher than the recorded cases it makes any analysis almost impossible.

The serological testing done in New York suggested 22% of the city had been infected in the first wave. Which would around 2 million cases rather than the 400000 they had actually confirmed through testing.

It's one thing to keep in mind when looking at the second wave and seeing peaks that look almost as bad as the first wave... The true height of the peaks in the first wave is an unknown and product of comparably very limited testing

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

So the app basically isn’t fit for purpose. Shocker.

Just another addition to a long list of things that have been monumentally fucked up since the pandemic started. 

I don't get why it's called NHS Test and Trace. Its run by a private firm so why do they get to use the NHS' name? 

Stupid. 

• Subscriber
On 26/09/2020 at 10:13, Stan said:

I don't get why it's called NHS Test and Trace. Its run by a private firm so why do they get to use the NHS' name? 

Stupid. 

It's a deliberate ploy for the government so that when people rightly criticise the flaws in the Test and Trace system they can accuse their critics of criticising the NHS. Whenever it comes up at PMQs Johnson always uses the full name and accuses Starmer of undermining the NHS and their great test and trace system. Painfully transparent populism.

So Torfaen, Neath Port Talbot and Vale of Glamorgan will join pretty much everywhere else (bar Monmouthshire) in South Wales in local lockdown from 6pm tomorrow, meaning that the majority of the population in Wales will have restrictions in some way or another. 

I'm sure Drakeford and Gething will find some way to blame others bar themselves though. 

21 hours ago, Eco said:

Well, wife posted a fever this morning and has been in bed all day. Hoping we get the test results back and she is able to pull through soon. 

This was after her having been a close contact of a confirmed case? Gosh mate that must be unsettling.

Any idea when you'll get results back? Was she symptomatic at the time of the test?

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

This was after her having been a close contact of a confirmed case? Gosh mate that must be unsettling.

Any idea when you'll get results back? Was she symptomatic at the time of the test?

Got the results today, she is negative. 

Could be a host of things including a false negative which so often happens here.