talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Their economy is recovering from the covid slowdown, but it was impacted pretty significantly from covid.

I think my auntie is trying to suggest they have benefitted from covid. She can be quite racist sometimes. She use to be a teacher scary 

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think my auntie is trying to suggest they have benefitted from covid. She can be quite racist sometimes. She use to be a teacher scary 

Oh, they definitely haven’t. Neither economically, nor in terms of how the world perceive them - because anti-Chinese sentiment has risen a lot after covid.

A lot of political leaders in many countries around the world have pretty successfully managed to blame China being the source of the virus on their own slow response to the virus. It’s pretty dangerous because fomenting racism can lead to bad things. But it’s effective at deflecting.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So is this any reason to dislike the Chinese? My auntie is quite racist towards them. Or is it just that they have recovered well?

They introduced some very strict measures and managed to contain the outbreak in a few months, during which the economy naturally took a big hit, but then after that they were able to return to "normal" (more or less), and the economy started to recover. That said, while their exports and investments are on the rise again, consumption is still not back to the pre-covid levels and that hinders the overall growth somewhat. I think people who dislike the Chinese because their economy has recovered faster are the ones who also believe that the Chinese released the virus into the world on purpose and are now benefiting from it.

• Subscriber

They won't have made a net benefit, their economy might be bigger now than it was pre-Covid, but without Covid happening, it would be even bigger than it is now.

Where she might have a point is that China will have taken less of a hit than other countries because of their culture and government allowing them to have a shorter lockdown and no further major outbreaks. 

E.G. UK over the whole of 2020 economy contracted by about 10% compared to 2019:

1832802874_ScreenShot2021-04-03at20_52_30.png.d84268429aee93bcd9c026365993eb04.png

So if you want to treat economic growth as some sort of competition then yes, you could argue that China took the smallest hit of the major economies, so they benefitted relative to the rest of the world, but they didn't actually benefit in real terms, if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh, they definitely haven’t. Neither economically, nor in terms of how the world perceive them - because anti-Chinese sentiment has risen a lot after covid.

A lot of political leaders in many countries around the world have pretty successfully managed to blame China being the source of the virus on their own slow response to the virus. It’s pretty dangerous because fomenting racism can lead to bad things. But it’s effective at deflecting.

She's very sensitive. I could call her a racist old women who doesn't know anything about the real world but she would probably cry. 

To be honest the virus could have started in a lot of countries. The latest evidence is it was from bats. But the wet markets are all over Asia and in south america as well. Any of those countries could have started it. There is also high risk British food which scientists are warning about. 

She also cant understand that China has a lower carbon footprint per capita than the UK. And that is from the world bank which is one of the most accurate sources I think

She also thinks its ethical for rich countries to hog the covid vaccines because we pay for it and give it to low risk people in rich countries ahead of high risk in poorer countries 

It really is scary that she use to be a teacher. @RandoEFC please tell me this kind of racism isnt common among teachers now.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

She's very sensitive. I could call her a racist old women who doesn't know anything about the real world but she would probably cry. 

To be honest the virus could have started in a lot of countries. The latest evidence is it was from bats. But the wet markets are all over Asia and in south america as well. Any of those countries could have started it. There is also high risk British food which scientists are warning about. 

She also cant understand that China has a lower carbon footprint per capita than the UK. And that is from the world bank which is one of the most accurate sources I think

She also thinks its ethical for rich countries to hog the covid vaccines because we pay for it and give it to low risk people in rich countries ahead of high risk in poorer countries 

It really is scary that she use to be a teacher. @RandoEFC please tell me this kind of racism isnt common among teachers now.

She sounds more like one of those people who gets scared by things she doesn't understand and probably reads the Sun/Mail which doesn't help.

You'd get booted out for expressing racist views explicitly if you were a teacher. That's not what I'd call any of the stuff you've said she thinks though. To be honest, if you're a teacher and you think stuff like this then you're probably smart enough to keep it to yourself. I couldn't describe the political/world views of many of even my close colleagues to be honest. It doesn't really come up ordinarily. I did have a Head of Maths when I was in my first year who said she was voting in favour of Brexit because "we were great once, we'll be great again". It's a very, very far cry from racism, but it does demonstrate that just being a teacher doesn't mean you'll be any more or less educated or ignorant on political/international/worldly issues than anyone else. Regardless of whether you have progressive or conservative views though, it very rarely has any impact on the kids or what happens in the classroom.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

She sounds more like one of those people who gets scared by things she doesn't understand and probably reads the Sun/Mail which doesn't help.

You'd get booted out for expressing racist views explicitly if you were a teacher. That's not what I'd call any of the stuff you've said she thinks though. To be honest, if you're a teacher and you think stuff like this then you're probably smart enough to keep it to yourself. I couldn't describe the political/world views of many of even my close colleagues to be honest. It doesn't really come up ordinarily. I did have a Head of Maths when I was in my first year who said she was voting in favour of Brexit because "we were great once, we'll be great again". It's a very, very far cry from racism, but it does demonstrate that just being a teacher doesn't mean you'll be any more or less educated or ignorant on political/international/worldly issues than anyone else. Regardless of whether you have progressive or conservative views though, it very rarely has any impact on the kids or what happens in the classroom.

I'm a bit confused mate. She is very anti Chinese you dont think that is racist or have I misunderstood you?

I think it is very important teachers arent racist. If they are they may discriminate against certain children.

My auntie doesn't read the sun but she probably reads the daily mail or something. She also has a very racist partner. He has said black people are lazy amongst other things. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm a bit confused mate. She is very anti Chinese you dont think that is racist or have I misunderstood you?

I think it is very important teachers arent racist. If they are they may discriminate against certain children.

My auntie doesn't read the sun but she probably reads the daily mail or something. She also has a very racist partner. He has said black people are lazy amongst other things. 

It depends what you mean by anti-Chinese. From what you've said, I've taken it as more that she's very sceptical of China, the country and their government, etc. If she's actually prejudiced against people of a Chinese/Asian ethnic background then yes that would be a pretty major concern.

I think quite a large proportion of their generation think it's okay to say stuff like that. It doesn't make them bad people. From their point of view, they're a lot more tolerant than their own parents' and grandparents' generations and they've passed on the world to us in a better state than it was in terms of tolerance and equality when they were our age. That also doesn't make it okay, but when people get to that age I just think it's basically impossible to influence their world view. And most of the time, their world view is more that it's okay to make comments like that, not that they actually hold serious prejudice against minorities. As long as they don't go around saying stuff to peoples' faces or acting on those views in any way, I think you have to take that as a win. If it's something you feel that you want or need to do something about, I think you're better off trying to positively influence your mates and people in your own generation, and doing your best to set a good example to the ones that follow.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It depends what you mean by anti-Chinese. From what you've said, I've taken it as more that she's very sceptical of China, the country and their government, etc. If she's actually prejudiced against people of a Chinese/Asian ethnic background then yes that would be a pretty major concern.

I think quite a large proportion of their generation think it's okay to say stuff like that. It doesn't make them bad people. From their point of view, they're a lot more tolerant than their own parents' and grandparents' generations and they've passed on the world to us in a better state than it was in terms of tolerance and equality when they were our age. That also doesn't make it okay, but when people get to that age I just think it's basically impossible to influence their world view. And most of the time, their world view is more that it's okay to make comments like that, not that they actually hold serious prejudice against minorities. As long as they don't go around saying stuff to peoples' faces or acting on those views in any way, I think you have to take that as a win. If it's something you feel that you want or need to do something about, I think you're better off trying to positively influence your mates and people in your own generation, and doing your best to set a good example to the ones that follow.

To be fair I perhaps didn't make it clear. She has said she hates china. I said about trump calling covid  the China virus and she said she hates China. She is referring to the government but I'm pretty certain she is referring to Chinese people in general. She blamed them for eating bats. I'm quite critical of the chinese government. However I dont blame the chinese people. She has also said that people were more tolerant in the past because they didn't call everything racist. She also made comments that they go on to much about racism in football.

I do admit to a certain extent it is a generation thing. However there are older people who have learned and adapted. I would personally be confident that I will adapt to knew ideas as I get older. The reason is because thats just my personality. I know the world changes and I believe morals evolve so I except that there were things that were acceptable before that arent now. I'd be confident that someone like you will adapt. However I do admit it is harder for some. 

On 04/04/2021 at 00:38, Gunnersauraus said:

I think my auntie is trying to suggest they have benefitted from covid. 

My uncle forwarded me this on Whatsapp, he sends me old family photos and conspiracy theories all the time some of them very believable :coffee:

All this stuff is primarily coming from the sense of panic that China has overtaken other big folks in many ways. While subsets of these theories may be true the most thing China has benefitted is from US & co unnecessarily poking around and fucking around the world taking a toll on themselves too. 

1 hour ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

I'm a bit confused by that. When was it done? Before covid? Is it saying the chinese economy will be smaller than expected by 2024 because of covid but the us economy will be bigger?

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm a bit confused by that. When was it done? Before covid? Is it saying the chinese economy will be smaller than expected by 2024 because of covid but the us economy will be bigger?

I don't know if it explicitly says it is because of COVID but it may be. The forecast for 2024 before the pandemic for China was higher than what they now forecast 2024 will be. Forecasts get revised all the time and the closer to the time it is forecasting generally the greater the accuracy.

Though the IMF have a track record of being as right on as a Steve Bruce press conference.

Apparently there is a different vaccine been offered to under 30s because there is more evidence of a link to blood clots. The odds are still ridiculously low but it is probably a good idea. I'm 35 and not worried about AstraZeneca because I worked out the odds were over a million to 1. 

• Administrator
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Apparently there is a different vaccine been offered to under 30s because there is more evidence of a link to blood clots. The odds are still ridiculously low but it is probably a good idea. I'm 35 and not worried about AstraZeneca because I worked out the odds were over a million to 1. 

The AZ vaccine is being suspended for under 30s while they continue with their research but based on their findings so far its mainly precautionary. 

I still think it's such a rarity. 19 deaths out of 20m doses is crazily low. 

I sincerely hope it doesn't lead to more people being skeptical about vaccines in general though. They have a huge success rate as shown so far. Let's hope that continues. 

Just now, Stan said:

The AZ vaccine is being suspended for under 30s while they continue with their research but based on their findings so far its mainly precautionary. 

I still think it's such a rarity. 19 deaths out of 20m doses is crazily low. 

I sincerely hope it doesn't lead to more people being skeptical about vaccines in general though. They have a huge success rate as shown so far. Let's hope that continues. 

Well I mean anyone who has a basic knowledge of maths should be able to work out 19 out of 20 million is over a million to 1 chance. More chance if dying walking to the shop. Last time I checked it was 13 deaths out of 18.1 million so similar figures. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I am never getting vaccinated at this rate.... how much longer do I have to wait?? 

A new coronavirus variant has been found in Brazil. It combines the Rio de Janeiro, the Manaus, the UK and the south african strains. After P1, this is terrible news.

Considering its large population and a president that simply denies the danger of the pandemic, Brazil is a threat to the entire world. It´s terrible to say that, but it´s the truth. 

The P1 variant has hit Brazil really hard. We´ve gone from a daily average of 1.000 deaths to more than 4000 deaths and still growing. Younger people are now dying much more frequently.  

Edited by El Profesor
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Profesor said:

A new coronavirus variant has been found in Brazil. It combines the Rio de Janeiro, the Manaus, the UK and the south african strains. After P1, this is terrible news.

Considering its large population and a president that simply denies the danger of the pandemic, Brazil is a threat to the entire world. It´s terrible to say that, but it´s the truth. 

The P1 variant has hit Brazil really hard. We´ve gone from a daily average of 1.000 deaths to more than 4000 deaths and still growing. Younger people are now dying much more frequently.  

Brazil is like ground zero for super mutations, these hoarding of vaccines will be of no use if these super mutations keep popping out from everywhere.

Edited by McAzeem
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, McAzeem said:

Brazil is like ground zero for super mutations, these hoarding of vaccines will be of no use if these super mutations keep popping out from everywhere.

Already the case when vaccines started :4_joy:

UK has jabbed millions with AZ vaccine which might have an efficacy level as low as 10% against the South African variant. The variant with an estimated 2000 cases a day in France. Yet all you hear about is when can we all go on holiday again.

• Upvote 3

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

Already the case when vaccines started :4_joy:

UK has jabbed millions with AZ vaccine which might have an efficacy level as low as 10% against the South African variant. The variant with an estimated 2000 cases a day in France. Yet all you hear about is when can we all go on holiday again.

Now it's a reward for the youngsters they don't even get to have the AZ one. Damn me turning 30!!!

23 hours ago, Stan said:

Now it's a reward for the youngsters they don't even get to have the AZ one. Damn me turning 30!!!

The cut of age in Aus looks like it will be 50. The ineffective vaccine to a not exactly deadly virus, that gives you blood clots. 

My toe is sore, I'll just bash it with a hammer.