talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

19 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

@Redcanuck

What happens now with your hot seat after last night?

What do you mean by hot seat?

The goalkeeper, the manger, the owners or the next transfer window?  Unfortunately it's hot wherever you sit at Old Trafford now, that's if the stadium  doesn't fall apart around you.

Edited by Redcanuck

13 hours ago, 6666 said:

Never knew Old Trafford was in such bad shape.

Ultimately it's just a stadium that you sit in and watch football but yeah I suppose if you are going to judge it against the new modern stadium it's a bit of a dinosaur. 

The clubs a mess behind the scenes if were totally honest, people see us spending big on transfers but the don't realise the neglect of other parts of the club. Reality is we should have one of the best stadiums on the planet and we should be even more competitive in the transfer market but we still have to pay off debt and we will still need to pay the Glazers what they want to take out of the club. 

On 28/05/2021 at 03:53, Redcanuck said:

What do you mean by hot seat?

The goalkeeper, the manger, the owners or the next transfer window?  Unfortunately it's hot wherever you sit at Old Trafford now, that's if the stadium  doesn't fall apart around you.

Sorry mate for length of time in responding. I have been away for a few days.

Ole's position. Some of us worked him out pretty much soon after his winning start at utd and hope he continues to do a wonderful job. However after his failier to win last weeks Europa which was pretty much a penalty kick, one is curious if change is in the air for utd?

There is one guy I would not like to see there & alas he is currently available. One should be confident the people who run your club will continue to make the wrong decision, but curious to what you think?

2 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Sorry mate for length of time in responding. I have been away for a few days.

Ole's position. Some of us worked him out pretty much soon after his winning start at utd and hope he continues to do a wonderful job. However after his failier to win last weeks Europa which was pretty much a penalty kick, one is curious if change is in the air for utd?

There is one guy I would not like to see there & alas he is currently available. One should be confident the people who run your club will continue to make the wrong decision, but curious to what you think?

I suspect and fear that Solksjaer will get a new contract. Solksjaer seems to be liked by the owners and Woodward, he has settled things somewhat and there has been a little progress,  he's not on a lot of money compared to some other managers and the club hope he maybe the key to getting Haarland here.

The problem is the summer transfer window has to be a big one for United, we need 4 new players who can start, not that we will get them all in one window, but its not hard to identify who they are. Do you bring in 2 or 3 players who will start and replace the manager who has had some input in identifying these players.  I guess you could, it seemed to work for Chelsea. 

It was always a big ask to move from Cardiff to United, just as it was too much to move from Everton to United. I don't think he is tactical astute enough to manage United and can't compete with top managers in the big games and it would be a mistake to offer him a new contract.  But that's me, like I said I think they will extend his contract, hopefully they will think long and hard about it, but the Glazer's track record doesn't give me much hope.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I presume you mean either Zidane or Conte? but I don't think the Glazers would be their cup of tea as they would want a lot of dosh to get players what we need, Conte undoubtedly, if he came, would want Lukaku back as he did not want to sell him from Chelsea but he got him back eventually at Inter and he knew how to get the best out of him which he did and Lukaku helped win him the title, I am one of not many United supporters who liked Lukaku.

48 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I presume you mean either Zidane or Conte? but I don't think the Glazers would be their cup of tea as they would want a lot of dosh to get players what we need, Conte undoubtedly, if he came, would want Lukaku back as he did not want to sell him from Chelsea but he got him back eventually at Inter and he knew how to get the best out of him which he did and Lukaku helped win him the title, I am one of not many United supporters who liked Lukaku.

I would say the Liquidator is talking about Conte.  You can't argue with his record, he's had a lot of success,  though he seems to be a difficult individual to deal with if you don't agree with him.  Conte doesn't play with wingers , he likes wing backs and 3 CB's.  Sometimes the wing backs stay back and it looks like he is playing with 5 at the back. He maybe considered too defensive for a club like United who like to play with wingers.  What happens if we get Sancho this summer,  where does Conte play him.

As for Lukaku, he seems to me to only play at his best when everything is the way he wants it.  But if he is not happy with something about the team or the manager, he does not give 100%.  He was very good at United in the beginning, but something change and he stopped playing for us and wanted out.  It will be interesting to see what happens at Inter this season now that Conte has gone, will he play as well under a new manager or with another team?

19 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

I would say the Liquidator is talking about Conte.  You can't argue with his record, he's had a lot of success,  though he seems to be a difficult individual to deal with if you don't agree with him.  Conte doesn't play with wingers , he likes wing backs and 3 CB's.  Sometimes the wing backs stay back and it looks like he is playing with 5 at the back. He maybe considered too defensive for a club like United who like to play with wingers.  What happens if we get Sancho this summer,  where does Conte play him.

As for Lukaku, he seems to me to only play at his best when everything is the way he wants it.  But if he is not happy with something about the team or the manager, he does not give 100%.  He was very good at United in the beginning, but something change and he stopped playing for us and wanted out.  It will be interesting to see what happens at Inter this season now that Conte has gone, will he play as well under a new manager or with another team?

Yes I am referring to Conte. I rate him highly, but so does he & with it comes the clashes with the suits players ect. Problem is, I believe in the short term he could sort out any sleeping giant for another to benefit soon after. Hence, one is curious how clever your mob will be this summer.

Interesting you state Conte maybe too defensive for United. Baring in mind you sat back all season n hit on the break, you were hardly the cutting edge of powerful attacking football of the days of the Whiskey tester.

I agree you are still a number of quality players away from troubling a silver engraver. One would not like to suggest too many, but I did say Grealish was a United type player a few years ago when cheap and I am still not sold on ANY of your defenders going back to Jose days. I hope you now agree I was right about Pogba and there is little doubt that bloke in midfield you got from Portugal was probably the leagues top signing of the season.

Anyway, fingers crossed Ole stays!

On 16/03/2021 at 07:47, Devil said:

You think Ole should go if he doesn't win a trophy?

On 16/03/2021 at 07:49, Cicero said:

Yes. Would be a crime if United don't win the Europa this season and you would have now gone 4 years without a trophy. 

This is Manchester United. Not a work experience. 

On 16/03/2021 at 07:52, Devil said:

How many years did Klopp get before winning a trophy at Liverpool?

Ole hasn't managed us for four years, only two. 

You've also got to consider he's managing us during a global pandemic and has to manage a game every three days. Add to that a lack of fund in the market. Jose never had that issue during his two years after the trophy wins. 

On 16/03/2021 at 07:55, Cicero said:

Really hate the Klopp comparisons when people mentioned Lampard. For one, Klopp had a proven background so was worth the risk. 

I personally believe Ole is the man who will have United, "just get by". I don't think he's the man to have them take the next step, and I reiterate, a lot depends on whether United win a trophy this season. 

On 16/03/2021 at 08:02, Devil said:

Regardless of the background he was allowed to build and mould his squad, Ole hasn't actually done too badly result wise in the league but I agree he should have done better in the cup competitions.

You could never expect to see him challenging for titles when he took over the job and really there has only been a handful of changes since, the deadwood were deadwood then and they still are now. If he got Sancho a top CB and a striker (a lot for one window) I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us challenging. 

What's the verdict @Devil?

Would you rather trust Ole with Sancho, ST, and a Top CB or try and get Allegri/Conte?

15 minutes ago, Cicero said:

What's the verdict @Devil?

Would you rather trust Ole with Sancho, ST, and a Top CB or try and get Allegri/Conte?

If I'm honest Sevilla last season and Villarreal this season really sit heavy in my head. The lack of responsiveness in both games is frightening. 

If we stood a chance of getting Conte I'd be inclined to let Ole go, he's done the dogs work getting rid of a lot of the deadwood, we need this window and a big push. 

I'm not sure he's got the passion or managerial knowhow to do it. 

I'm on the fence still I'm afraid, in my heart of hearts it says unless there is a better man available then we keep Ole but if an opportunity like a Conte was to present itself then I'd go for it. They only have a year to pay up on Ole's contract if they did decide to do that. 

22 minutes ago, Devil said:

If I'm honest Sevilla last season and Villarreal this season really sit heavy in my head. The lack of responsiveness in both games is frightening. 

If we stood a chance of getting Conte I'd be inclined to let Ole go, he's done the dogs work getting rid of a lot of the deadwood, we need this window and a big push. 

I'm not sure he's got the passion or managerial knowhow to do it. 

I'm on the fence still I'm afraid, in my heart of hearts it says unless there is a better man available then we keep Ole but if an opportunity like a Conte was to present itself then I'd go for it. They only have a year to pay up on Ole's contract if they did decide to do that. 

I don't see any evidence that they are going to dump Solksjaer, more talk of him having his contract extended rather than him leaving.  If they do want Conte they need to act sooner rather than later because he won't be available for long.

54 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I don't see any evidence that they are going to dump Solksjaer, more talk of him having his contract extended rather than him leaving.  If they do want Conte they need to act sooner rather than later because he won't be available for long.

No I agree, Ole isn't likely going anywhere. 

52 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Conte won't happen. 

Not a yes man. 

Then we are destined for mediocrity. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Rashford out for two months after choosing to have shoulder surgery.

Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford may not play until the end of October after deciding to have surgery on a shoulder injury.

Rashford, 23, had a scan on Tuesday after being hampered by the problem in the latter half of the 2020-21 season.

It was decided the damage was so severe that rest alone would not repair it and United hoped the England striker could have the operation immediately.

However, the surgeon is not available until the end of July.

It is anticipated Rashford will be out for 12 weeks, which will be a blow to United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's plans for the start of the new campaign.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Rashford out for two months after choosing to have shoulder surgery.

Can't believe the club that paid his wages didn't demand he have this surgery straight after the Europa final. Player power is far too strong now days, Sir Alex wouldn't have allowed him to go to the Euro's knowing he would miss two months of the new season.

11 minutes ago, Devil said:

Can't believe the club that paid his wages didn't demand he have this surgery straight after the Europa final. Player power is far too strong now days, Sir Alex wouldn't have allowed him to go to the Euro's knowing he would miss two months of the new season.

He’s been injured about 4 months. It’s our fault we didn’t make him have it in March.

27 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

He’s been injured about 4 months. It’s our fault we didn’t make him have it in March.

To be fair I could see the logic in United asking him to play through injury as we pay his wages and we needed him during that run in. The team always looks incredibly unbalanced when he's not in the side and I think Ole thought he needed him. 

He was terrible as it happens so maybe you are right the op needed to happen in March. Allowing him to go to the Euro's knowing it will impact the following season is a crazy decision in my opinion, can't get my head around it myself. 

12 minutes ago, shut up said:

Hasn't he been carrying some sort of injury for like 2 years?

Last I’d heard through a lad who knows a coach, the shoulder has been bothering him since Feb/March. He had his back injury about 18 months ago that fucked him and he’s got a bad ankle. Can genuinely see him being done by the time he’s 30.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Devil said:

To be fair I could see the logic in United asking him to play through injury as we pay his wages and we needed him during that run in. The team always looks incredibly unbalanced when he's not in the side and I think Ole thought he needed him. 

He was terrible as it happens so maybe you are right the op needed to happen in March. Allowing him to go to the Euro's knowing it will impact the following season is a crazy decision in my opinion, can't get my head around it myself. 

I’d rather have had him undergo surgery than walk round that pitch contributing nothing which he seemed to do post Feb in my opinion. We’ll be paying his wages for some time to come and I’d like to see him fulfil his potential than become another injury statistic.