talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Transfer Rumours 2017

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dan said:

We've rejected £27mil from Roma for Mahrez. Rightly so. If Swansea can demand £50mil for Sigurdsson we can for Mahrez.

Starting to sound like even we're telling Swansea to shove that valuation up their arses which is saying something given that we've reportedly bid £40m+ for him which is already ridiculous. Just because Swansea value him at £50m doesn't mean anyone else does and therefore doesn't mean he is worth that just because that's what they're demanding.

Swansea can sort of afford to price Sigurdsson out of a move because he hasn't publicly stated he wants to leave yet, while Mahrez has so there's no benefit for Leicester playing hard ball to the extent that nobody is willing to meet the valuation because that just leaves you with an unhappy player instead of big bucks.

Mahrez should certainly go for more than £27m but £50m is pushing it. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Starting to sound like even we're telling Swansea to shove that valuation up their arses which is saying something given that we've reportedly bid £40m+ for him which is already ridiculous. Just because Swansea value him at £50m doesn't mean anyone else does and therefore doesn't mean he is worth that just because that's what they're demanding.

Swansea can sort of afford to price Sigurdsson out of a move because he hasn't publicly stated he wants to leave yet, while Mahrez has so there's no benefit for Leicester playing hard ball to the extent that nobody is willing to meet the valuation because that just leaves you with an unhappy player instead of big bucks.

Mahrez should certainly go for more than £27m but £50m is pushing it. 

It's a sellers market. It's why I've put a few bets on players to not transfer this summer simply because I think for all there will be interest, time and time again players will be overvalued by their clubs.

I'd have agreed with your second bit a couple of weeks ago - but at least Mahrez is actually playing for us. Sigurdsson didn't even go on Swansea's tour. That's as good as saying he wants out to me.

Mahrez backtracked a bit from his original statement about a week after putting it out. I think he or his agent misread how he's viewed by the rest of the footballing world - talented, but a gamble. I think they expected a flood of teams to come in for him but it just hasn't happened.

I really do think neither Mahrez or Sigurdsson will transfer this window. I could be being hugely delusional about this but no-one's come close to hitting what we want.

If Sigurdsson and Mahrez both went this window and Sigurdsson went for more I'd be fuming. Granted he's been more consistent, but he'll never ever hit the height Mahrez did and in the right side I really do think he can do it again. The ideal scenario is he stays and we become that side. Now I'm being a bit optimistic.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dan said:

It's a sellers market. It's why I've put a few bets on players to not transfer this summer simply because I think for all there will be interest, time and time again players will be overvalued by their clubs.

I'd have agreed with your second bit a couple of weeks ago - but at least Mahrez is actually playing for us. Sigurdsson didn't even go on Swansea's tour. That's as good as saying he wants out to me.

Mahrez backtracked a bit from his original statement about a week after putting it out. I think he or his agent misread how he's viewed by the rest of the footballing world - talented, but a gamble. I think they expected a flood of teams to come in for him but it just hasn't happened.

I really do think neither Mahrez or Sigurdsson will transfer this window. I could be being hugely delusional about this but no-one's come close to hitting what we want.

If Sigurdsson and Mahrez both went this window and Sigurdsson went for more I'd be fuming. Granted he's been more consistent, but he'll never ever hit the height Mahrez did and in the right side I really do think he can do it again. The ideal scenario is he stays and we become that side. Now I'm being a bit optimistic.

I don't know enough about the Mahrez situation but I have said repeatedly that Sigurdsson 's valuation on Swansea's part has been so out of whack even in this market that I'm very pleased with us if we tell them to fuck off.

The prospect of selling Barkley and signing Sigurdsson for a greater price is an outrage. Okay, Barkley's situation is confused by having one year on his contract driving the price down but Sigurdsson is about to turn 28 and already failed to take the step up to a top 6/7 team when Spurs sent him back to Wales. This isn't the description of a £50m player.

Honestly I don't know who the specific alternatives are but I guarantee we can find a much better deal for a player in that position if we look harder across Europe. Personally though I'd be making Giroud the #1 target at the moment. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't know enough about the Mahrez situation but I have said repeatedly that Sigurdsson 's valuation on Swansea's part has been so out of whack even in this market that I'm very pleased with us if we tell them to fuck off.

The prospect of selling Barkley and signing Sigurdsson for a greater price is an outrage. Okay, Barkley's situation is confused by having one year on his contract driving the price down but Sigurdsson is about to turn 28 and already failed to take the step up to a top 6/7 team when Spurs sent him back to Wales. This isn't the description of a £50m player.

Honestly I don't know who the specific alternatives are but I guarantee we can find a much better deal for a player in that position if we look harder across Europe. Personally though I'd be making Giroud the #1 target at the moment. 

As you know we were in for him also and I got uneasy once it went over thirty. We reportedly offered £40mil which is ridiculous. £50mil is laughable but if they don't want to sell him then I respect them for standing firm.

The reasons you list are precisely why it's ridiculous. If Gylfi Sigurdsson goes for £50mil it will sum up in a nutshell why the Premier League has dropped in quality. The money continuously going up has bred a complacency to the point the vast majority don't seem bothered about what they get for it.

Sigurdsson is not a top player, never has been and at 28, never will be. He's a good player and I'd have had him here, but if you pay £50mil for him you're setting a very dodgy precedent that will catch up with you.

As for alternatives - Boudebouz of Montpellier. Available for £12mil (or £15mil based on some other reports), creativity stats similar to that of Kante's tackling and interception. I'm not one to normally go overboard about stats that can easily be manipulated but his look genuinely outstanding. I'm hoping we go for him if we sell Mahrez.

3 hours ago, Dan said:

We've rejected £27mil from Roma for Mahrez. Rightly so. If Swansea can demand £50mil for Sigurdsson we can for Mahrez.

That depends. Mahrez becomes a non-factor if sold for Roma but Sigurdsson could be an eternal thorn in the side.

7 hours ago, shut up said:

This is what puzzled me. However, I think you moved on weeks ago & have targets behind the scenes.

You'd like to think so, but this is Liverpool we're talking about. Fully expect to get to 1st September, we've probably kept Coutinho (good thing obviously) but not signed anyone else and the club will be like 'well we tried but clubs just wouldn't sell'. And people will swallow it. Just like they swallowed the 'biggest ever transfer spend' this summer.

7 hours ago, Storts said:

At least you're trying to buy players

That's true. After going close last year, I'd be pissed off if I supported Spurs. Especially having sold Walker. I know there's the whole stadium business but you should surely be trying to add one or two faces. You never stand still in football. If you don't keep up with the rest in the transfer market, you go backwards quite quickly.

For whoever it was saying Sigurdsson isn't worth fifty million I'd hate to play Captain Obvious but he's worth whatever Swansea value him at. Same situation with Yannick Bolasie last summer. Everybody thought thirty million was too much but he was worth thirty million to us and that's what you had to pay.

23 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

5 weeks of the window left and the usual suspects are already pissing their pants xD

Happy to wait and see where we are at the end of the window. Given our previous form though, people have every right to be sceptical

9 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Happy to wait and see where we are at the end of the window. Given our previous form though, people have every right to be sceptical

Sceptical? In your previous post you basically said that our attempts to sign  Keita & VVD were fake and that it's a PR stunt to fool the fans into thinking we are actually trying when we aren't actually trying. 

Thats not sceptical, it's downright demented. 

Its always good to have a sceptical supporter giving opinions from the other side of the fence but I swear down all you ever do is piss and moan about everything. 

Theres 5 week left, there's plenty of time for more signings, the VVD deal isn't dead yet, Coutinho looks like staying, we have already broke our transfer record just this very summer, chill your beans. 

24 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Sceptical? In your previous post you basically said that our attempts to sign  Keita & VVD were fake and that it's a PR stunt to fool the fans into thinking we are actually trying when we aren't actually trying. 

Thats not sceptical, it's downright demented. 

Its always good to have a sceptical supporter giving opinions from the other side of the fence but I swear down all you ever do is piss and moan about everything. 

Theres 5 week left, there's plenty of time for more signings, the VVD deal isn't dead yet, Coutinho looks like staying, we have already broke our transfer record just this very summer, chill your beans. 

I think you've completely misinterpreted my post then. I was more pointing to the fact that we won't have a plan B or if we do it will fall well short of being good enough.

Liverpool do make a habit of going after players for big money that no one else is really interested in and still not being able to get a deal over the line.

40 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I think you've completely misinterpreted my post then. I was more pointing to the fact that we won't have a plan B or if we do it will fall well short of being good enough.

I didn't misinterpret anything. You said:

"Fully expect to get to 1st September, we've probably kept Coutinho (good thing obviously) but not signed anyone else and the club will be like 'well we tried but clubs just wouldn't sell'. And people will swallow it."

That is clearly insinuating that our attempts to sign VVD & Keita were nothing more than PR stunts to fool the fans. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I didn't misinterpret anything. You said:

"Fully expect to get to 1st September, we've probably kept Coutinho (good thing obviously) but not signed anyone else and the club will be like 'well we tried but clubs just wouldn't sell'. And people will swallow it."

That is clearly insinuating that our attempts to sign VVD & Keita were nothing more than PR stunts to fool the fans. 

No you have. I was pointing to the fact that this has happened with Liverpool before. The Ukrainian fella, Mkhitaryan before he went to Dortmund. I'm sure there's a couple of others that we've chased for ages and not ended up with anything. Then you have the trying to replace Suarez fiasco. Being in for Sanchez then settling for a plan B that was far from being good enough

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

No you have. I was pointing to the fact that this has happened with Liverpool before. The Ukrainian fella, Mkhitaryan before he went to Dortmund. I'm sure there's a couple of others that we've chased for ages and not ended up with anything. Then you have the trying to replace Suarez fiasco. Being in for Sanchez then settling for a plan B that was far from being good enough

You didn't say that though Mike did you?

Fuck it anyway, I can't be arsed to go into all this again. There's plenty of time for transfers to be concluded and if they're not then we already have a stronger squad than last year, albeit not as strong as we'd have hoped. 

Seriously though, there really isn't any need to look at everything so negatively. It's clear things are on the up at Liverpool, even if it isn't perfect. 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

I think Mahrez should have left last year, that's when he would have fetched a high price and more teams would have been interested.

we needed him for our Champions League campaign regardless of how much he would have fetched. And I dread to think what we would have done with that money given how shite last year's summer window was for us. 

And we didn't need the money anyway. There was an agreement between chairman and player to give at least one more season and to Mahrez' credit he gave us that. And to be fair to the club, it's not our fault that clubs aren't that interested in him or offering what we value him at.  

12 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You didn't say that though Mike did you?

Fuck it anyway, I can't be arsed to go into all this again. There's plenty of time for transfers to be concluded and if they're not then we already have a stronger squad than last year, albeit not as strong as we'd have hoped. 

Seriously though, there really isn't any need to look at everything so negatively. It's clear things are on the up at Liverpool, even if it isn't perfect. 

Maybe I should have expanded on what I said to stop you jumping to conclusions.

You're already trying to convince yourself that this would be an acceptable window if nothing else gets done! The squad will be stronger ever so slightly but we have an extra competition this season. It won't be good enough if we have any ambitions of building on last season.

Old John and Tom will love fans like you. Don't question anything, just follow us on Twitter and go along with everything we tell you!

Just now, LFCMike said:

Maybe I should have expanded on what I said to stop you jumping to conclusions.

You're already trying to convince yourself that this would be an acceptable window if nothing else gets done! The squad will be stronger ever so slightly but we have an extra competition this season. It won't be good enough if we have any ambitions of building on last season.

Old John and Tom will love fans like you. Don't question anything, just follow us on Twitter and go along with everything we tell you!

Wow, not even going to respond. 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Because you can't

No because you say they'd love fans like me but they'd proper hate fans like you, the type that have never been to Anfield in his life but yet stamps his feet like a spoilt brat when he doesn't get what he wants. 

FSG aren't perfect, far from it and I've never said they are. But you come across like a big kid more suited to a new born City fan where money is no object. 

Fuck sake liven up. 

• Administrator

As a neutral, I don't particularly feel many Premier League clubs have exactly excelled in their transfer dealings. Arguably Man City have approached theirs the most logically - fees aside naturally. Liverpool need a Goalkeeper (sorry not buying Mignolet or Karius as good enough for Liverpool), centre back and arguably another quality forward if they let go of Sturbridge. Salah won't be much of a consolation if Coutinho leaves and the club haven't identified alternatives.

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

No because you say they'd love fans like me but they'd proper hate fans like you, the type that have never been to Anfield in his life but yet stamps his feet like a spoilt brat when he doesn't get what he wants. 

FSG aren't perfect, far from it and I've never said they are. But you come across like a big kid more suited to a new born City fan where money is no object. 

Fuck sake liven up. 

Never been to Anfield? xD  Haha do one.

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Day trip & stadium tour no doubt. 

Anyway, let's leave it there. We've been over this a hundred times. 

Nope, I was pretty much every home game until Rafa was sacked and the club were staring adminstration in the face. Only went back semi-regular after Hicks and Gillett fucked off but not been for three or four years now. Fucking hate the place to be honest, complete circus. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived