talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's bizarre if Roman is ready to cut him loose (again) after chasing him for years.

He's a good striker in the right system, it's up to Tuchel to put him in the right system. Also while he's played in England before - he's still spent 2 years at a very different sort of side in Inter where he played very differently so I still think it's reasonable to give him time to re-settle back to our league and to his club's way of playing. Even players that move domestically can take time to settle at their new clubs.

And if you do sell him, I can't see him going for a price near what Inter sold him for. So it just seems like it would be a massive waste of money.

I think there is enough of an argument to make where we really shouldn't be focusing on building a team around Lukaku given how limited he is as a footballer. Especially at the expense of forfeiting a system that won us the Champions League. This deal was just yet another reminder how those upstairs are lightyears away from having the same footballing sense as you lot and City. We buy players merely on output and name vs whether or not they represent what we want in our football, which presents a problem in itself as the club doesn't even know what they want. 

I personally hope Atletico come to our rescue for the 4th time ala Kezman, Torres, and Morata. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think there is enough of an argument to make where we really shouldn't be focusing on building a team around Lukaku given how limited he is as a footballer. Especially at the expense of forfeiting a system that won us the Champions League. This deal was just yet another reminder how those upstairs are lightyears away from having the same footballing sense as you lot and City. We buy players merely on output and name vs whether or not they represent what we want in our football, which presents a problem in itself as the club doesn't even know what they want. 

I personally hope Atletico come to our rescue for the 4th time ala Kezman, Torres, and Morata. 

Well I'm not surprised you operate differently to us and City with recruitment - you generally operate pretty differently to most clubs, especially clubs like City and us where the people upstairs are committed to supporting a manager for a long-term period.

Chelsea aren't really the sort of club for long-term management appointments, so I can understand when players are brought in that don't necessarily fit the manager's system. Because often at Chelsea, a manager is brought in and expected to get results with the players that the man before him brought in and couldn't.

Lukaku's limited, but he's also really good and part of a manager's jobs is to play to a player's strengths while using the players around him to make up for their weaknesses. Conte did that really well at Inter with Lukaku imo. But I can understand Tuchel not wanting to change a system that won the CL.

And tbh, it would be refreshing to see Chelsea side with a manager over a player... but it just seems like a massive waste of money, even if Atletico do come in with a good fee. I'd think the Italian giants would be most interested in signing him because he looked genuinely world class in Italy... but I also think Serie A clubs are the least likely to spend the kind of amount Chelsea would want to get back if they do decide to cut him loose.

Chelsea have all the pieces imo to operate more like City and Liverpool in terms of long-term planning, and I think part of what was good about the transfer ban from your perspective is that Lampard was forced to give quality young players a chance. And I think that's encouraged Marina Whateverhersurnameis to consider the talented young players Chelsea have as longer term players for the club rather than just as sellable assets to fund expensive purchases. I wouldn't be surprised if Connor Gallagher is afforded the chance to make a name for himself at Chelsea next season, for example, whereas I think in previous years they'd probably sell him after this successful loan spell with Palace.

They've had the resources since Roman took over to back a quality manager & they've got a very good manager imo. Really I think it's just the recruitment that needs to be adjusted - they've already got a top tier academy program.

But do Chelsea want to change from what's worked well for Chelsea? Because Chelsea have found success operating in the way they've operated since Roman took over - it's different to a lot of clubs, but it's worked.

• Subscriber

Since King Didier left Chelsea haven't suited having an attack based around one player. From an outsider and neutral they seem to play better in recent years when the goals are coming from various sources and their attacking play is varied. Diego Costa worked as you had a manager in Mourinho who knew how to get the best out of him for the sake of winning the league.

Lukaku has too many flaws in his game and Chelsea have goal options from all over the pitch, which doesn't suit Lukaku's style of play. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/02/08/romelu-lukaku-running-chances-impress-roman-abramovich/

according to Matt Law, Abramovich's patience (lol I don't think he has any though) with Lukaku is running thin.

Might be buying himself a new toy, despite Chelsea spending enough money to buy an island to sign him this summer. I think that's a bit weird tbh.

How do they know what a notoriously private gangster that is banned from entering the UK wants?

23 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/02/08/romelu-lukaku-running-chances-impress-roman-abramovich/

according to Matt Law, Abramovich's patience (lol I don't think he has any though) with Lukaku is running thin.

Might be buying himself a new toy, despite Chelsea spending enough money to buy an island to sign him this summer. I think that's a bit weird tbh.

How do they know what a notoriously private gangster that is banned from entering the UK wants?

Just now, Spike said:

I think Matt Law's meant to be one of the more reputable journalists regarding Chelsea, so my guess is he's got some contact at the club (maybe even Marina Whatsherface) - a bit like how a couple of journalists with LFC and EFC have a pretty clear direct link with someone at the club for their source of info.

Just watched most of CFC in the World Club match the Semis.

CFC through due to a tap in from Lukaku yet we made heard work of it should have scored more and they actually looked decent in the 2nd 70-90 mins forcing two decent saves from Kepa.

Hopefully we play better in the final.

1 hour ago, Waylander said:

Just watched most of CFC in the World Club match the Semis.

CFC through due to a tap in from Lukaku yet we made heard work of it should have scored more and they actually looked decent in the 2nd 70-90 mins forcing two decent saves from Kepa.

Hopefully we play better in the final.

These Club World Cup matches are surprisingly tough imo. But it makes sense, the side's usually traveling a much longer distance than you typically would for any other match... and you're up against opposition typically that doesn't get to face a side like Chelsea in a competitive match ever. So they're usually well up for it while the European side can sometimes look complacent because they should (and usually do) have the quality to beat those sides before the final even if you don't play that well.

And the quality of the Saudi sides is actually a lot higher than it was not too long ago. They've quietly done with Saudi football what China attempted to do - but imo more successfully, even if it was a lot less flashy and in your face about the large sums of cash they throw at players and managers.

• Upvote 1

@Dr. Gonzo

I think Abramovich wants to sell I recall Radcliffe of Unilever offered £2bn and RA wanted £3bn. So nothing happened.

So think the focus is to keep winning trophies while staying within FFP or as close as possible with the hope someone else buys the club. 

This is why I don't think we will get a long term plan.

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, Waylander said:

@Dr. Gonzo

I think Abramovich wants to sell I recall Radcliffe of Unilever offered £2bn and RA wanted £3bn. So nothing happened.

So think the focus is to keep winning trophies while staying within FFP or as close as possible with the hope someone else buys the club. 

This is why I don't think we will get a long term plan.

The long term plan is up to the owners of Stamford Bridge, not Roman Abramovich. 

Roman is fully invested and on board, but nothing can happen unless the pitch owners are on board for relocating. They own the rights to the Chelsea brand, so if the club were to move stadiums without their consent, they couldn't be called Chelsea Football Club. 

It's a mess. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

The long term plan is up to the owners of Stamford Bridge, not Roman Abramovich. 

Roman is fully invested and on board, but nothing can happen unless the pitch owners are on board for relocating. They own the rights to the Chelsea brand, so if the club were to move stadiums without their consent, they couldn't be called Chelsea Football Club. 

It's a mess. 

Interesting I recall a couple of things.

The last one was redeveloping Stamford Bridge and plans were made and council permission granted yet was about the time RA's passport issue arose under Theresa May's govt.

Was redeveloping SB an issue for the CPO holders?

The other proposal was for a sight potentially near Earls Court and I'm thinking this may have bombed due to the CPO holders.

What is your take?

21 hours ago, Waylander said:

Interesting I recall a couple of things.

The last one was redeveloping Stamford Bridge and plans were made and council permission granted yet was about the time RA's passport issue arose under Theresa May's govt.

Was redeveloping SB an issue for the CPO holders?

The other proposal was for a sight potentially near Earls Court and I'm thinking this may have bombed due to the CPO holders.

What is your take?

As far as I know, relocating was always the goal.  We had the Battersea Power Station in mind but lost out in that. There have been other pursuits but the pitch owners did not oblige. The redevelopment on Stamford Bridge was merely adding a suite, and I think for 2023 the season ticket prices are going to rise substantially considering the cost of business now along with a stagnation on ticket pricing for several years. 

Match going fans are going to be upset at the rise in costs but this is all to accommodate to stay at Stamford Bridge, which is what the pitch owners want. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

As far as I know, relocating was always the goal.  We had the Battersea Power Station in mind but lost out in that. There have been other pursuits but the pitch owners did not oblige. The redevelopment on Stamford Bridge was merely adding a suite, and I think for 2023 the season ticket prices are going to rise substantially considering the cost of business now along with a stagnation on ticket pricing for several years. 

Match going fans are going to be upset at the rise in costs but this is all to accommodate to stay at Stamford Bridge, which is what the pitch owners want. 

Being on another forum for CFC fans only, (some friendly others join too and) the feeling of the fans CFC there was that the hotel should come down and the Shed End extended backwards. This was seen as a cheaper option than the official wrap around sleek looking official design.

Everyone thought we could easily sell over 50k for the big games yet not for the less attractive ones so a much bigger stadium was not thought of as worth the cost.

6 hours ago, Waylander said:

Being on another forum for CFC fans only, (some friendly others join too and) the feeling of the fans CFC there was that the hotel should come down and the Shed End extended backwards. This was seen as a cheaper option than the official wrap around sleek looking official design.

Everyone thought we could easily sell over 50k for the big games yet not for the less attractive ones so a much bigger stadium was not thought of as worth the cost.

What forum

So much being banded about in the pubs around Stamford Bridge & inside the ground last night. If just 25% of it turns out to be true we are in for one hell of a summer!

Performance was better last night. Not sure if it was us or the opposition that had us looking slightly more fluid. Either way 2-0 is the minimum we would have accepted walking into the ground.

Injuries: Always key players this season and now Kovacic. Killing us.

Due to the current situation in Ukraine, politicians are calling for him to be stripped of Chelsea FC and that he should not be allowed to own a club in this country.

Whether this is actually possible or probable, I have no idea. 

Edited by Tar-Mairon

It's a bit more than Chelsea as you have Usmanov formerly of Arsenal and now at Everton.

The Thai owners at Leicester were also thought too have ripped off Thai citizens though don't think they are at risk yet due to purely Russian focus.

Then you have the autocratic Arab oil wealth in City and Newcastle. 

So this could get messy.

Abramovich was also involved in a very prominent court case here against Boris Beresovsky so am not sure how this will play out.