talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

American Politics Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber

A few things.

1) Most commentators have said it would take the biggest polling error in modern electoral history for Biden not to win this. It was one thing when it happened in 2016, but pollsters adapted their models in response to this and still Trump has got a vote share as much as 10% better as the polls suggested in some states. That's simply unprecedented and maybe it'll get diluted when they finish counting the postal votes in the states that have already declared but in the absence of an explanation for why that many people changed their minds in the blink of an eye, I'm just putting it out there that the best mathematicians and statistical modellers in the world, people who have been doing this their whole lives, don't get things this wrong, not after how wrong they got it in 2016. We know there's been voter suppression but it looks to me that either a lot more of that has gone on than anyone predicted or something even sinister has happened because these results completely defy any logic compared to the polling that has consistently told a very different story, literal thousands of polls with different samples over the course of several months.

2) We shouldn't need to have this conversation. I know Biden isn't an overwhelmingly good candidate in his own right and he might still win but America should be ashamed of itself right now. It's one thing voting Trump in once when he was making reasonable-sounding promises and offering something alternative but the phrase "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" comes to mind. This guy's been in the White House for 4 years now. You know what he's about. It's absolutely staggering that close enough to half of the population has voted for him again and given him the opportunity to skirt around actual democracy by getting the Supreme Court involved. I mean the man's a walking parody, a cartoon character gone wrong. What's wrong with you?

3) The only thing worse than Trump getting back in is all of the nonces on social media or at work who don't actually know anything about politics but have belligerently insisted "Trump will win again" in the face of any credible evidence, aside from "it happened last time". You know the types. The morons who spew any old bollocks on any topic they know nothing about because they get it right 1 in 50 times, think they're a Nostradamus because one of their stupid guesses came true and just pretend the other 49 never happened.

Hopefully enough of the uncounted votes in Michigan and Wisconsin will be enough to stop America from having completely shat the bed here but with Trump's comments about an hour ago it doesn't look like that'll matter.

• Upvote 1

At best it looks like it's going to be a slight Biden win, which is possibly going to the most destructive in terms of civil unrest.

People were underestimating how right-wing America really is, lets hope whoever wins that they continue their downward spiral as a world power and we see less of their influence over here. From sport to the economy, it's only been damaging.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

My concern all along is that all of trumps rubbishing of voter fraud being rife in mail/absentee ballots would:

1. Cause his people to try to do it, in order to "balance out" the inevitable mail fraud by democrats,

2. Cause democrats to go on record many times starting that mail voting is totally legit and that they'll 100% abide by the results of the election.

• Subscriber

Bottom line, why does Trump want to involve the Supreme Court if he thinks he's won after all votes have been counted? I don't need an answer to that.

Georgia is the one that has potential to be dynamite to Trump. It's slowly ticking towards Biden. I don't have much hope that there are enough ballots left to make up the 100k difference but if it flips before too much more time has elapsed then that hurts him a lot.

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Biden is ahead in Wisconsin now. If that holds, then along with the 4th vote from Maine, one of Georgia, Pennsylvania or Michigan tips him over 270.

Hoping. 

I really thought it was going to be easier than this. 

This whole ordeal reminds of the scene in Texas Chainsaw Massacre where they're holding down the girl so that Grandpa can get an easy kill, but they can barely get the hammer to stay in his corpselike hands. 

• The title was changed to Texas Directive on School Books "If you have holocaust books, you must also have anti-holocaust books"