talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 1-6 Tottenham - Sunday 4th October, 2020

football forum

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

I think it's deliberate. He knows he's getting hassled a bit, knows exactly where Martial and his head/neck is, and decides to 'shrug' him off forcefully. If he does it in his chest or torso, he can easily just shrug him off there?

Just doesn't make sense to me that Martial gets a red (even applying that law above) but Lamela gets absolutely nothing, despite 'deliberately striking an opponent...on the head or face with the hand or arm...'

VAR can’t give a yellow though Stan.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Storts said:

VAR can’t give a yellow though Stan.

Can it downgrade Martial's red? 

I understand it can't give a yellow. Did Taylor even see what Lamela did?

9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Neville has been pathetically bleating on the whole half about lack of signings, desperately trying to push blame anywhere but his old mate Ole. There is a lot wrong with Manchester United and their owners but sorry this is type of abject performance is on the manager.

Let Neville, Ferdinand and Keane keep defending Solskjaer it keeps him in a job longer

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

I mean it could but there’s no way they can really. The laws state that’s a red card - was never being downgraded.

I don’t think he did, no, but also it wasn’t really a red either, probably a yellow. There was a subtle difference with the element of the doubt to his than martials - which was blatant even if of course very soft. 

Moutinho will absolutely love it from Lamela too

Imagine having Mourinho as a coach at some point in your career and then later you face a player on a Mourinho side... and reacting to anything they do by putting a hand anywhere near a face. Let alone someone like Lamela, who’s a pretty shameless diver tbh.

Martial should have known what would happen, rightly or wrongly. Imo he’s the one of the  only players to really count on when shit gets tough for United... so it’s a big loss for them this match.

Hilarious first half though, I loved it.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

It can but @Cicero posted the rule and Martial hasn't got a leg to stand on. He knows fine well he gets sent off for lashing out like that even if it was only a little one, the ball wasn't even in play, he can't pretend he was trying to jostle Lamela, he has no leg to stand on.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Also how is there a narrative about Man Utd needing more players or Solskjaer needing backing in the transfer market? Isn't this the most expensive squad in Europe apart from Manchester City? Plenty of those have been a waste of money but the manager and coaching team has to try and get something out of the players they've got like everyone else manages to do. It's not like they haven't got any help from the academy saving them money with Rashford, Henderson, Greenwood, McTominay. You can't just ask for another £50m signing in every position when your coaching and tactics are getting this dross out of these players.

Weren't we absolving Guardiola of any criticism for doing exactly this last week? Ole doesn't sign the cheques

It's 50/50 for me. The manager could and should be getting more out of the players, but the squad isn't good enough to challenge at the very top regardless. The owners' problem here is deciding if they want to continue to invest in a squad under this manager

Just now, Stan said:

I think it's deliberate. He knows he's getting hassled a bit, knows exactly where Martial and his head/neck is, and decides to 'shrug' him off forcefully. If he does it in his chest or torso, he can easily just shrug him off there?

Just doesn't make sense to me that Martial gets a red (even applying that law above) but Lamela gets absolutely nothing, despite 'deliberately striking an opponent...on the head or face with the hand or arm...'

I'm not so sure. We see these kinds of things all the time. 

Martial is a bloody idiot for reacting the way he did. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Let Neville, Ferdinand and Keane keep defending Solskjaer it keeps him in a job longer

With no fans in the stadium, the media has an important role in keeping managers in/out of their jobs, imo.

So yeah, I’d love them to keep defending him.

• The title was changed to Man Utd 1-5 (Aurier, 51") Tottenham - Sunday 4th October, 2020
  • Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Weren't we absolving Guardiola of any criticism for doing exactly this last week? Ole doesn't sign the cheques

It's 50/50 for me. The manager could and should be getting more out of the players, but the squad isn't good enough to challenge at the very top regardless. The owners' problem here is deciding if they want to continue to invest in a squad under this manager

I'm using the same terminology that I argued against in that thread but it's a different discussion for me. I can't be arsed going into why right now though because it'll just get lost in the sea of posts right now.

Look at Spurs though. Mourinho is deemed to be a chequebook manager in many quarters, yet here Ndombele, Aurier, even Lamela among those tearing Man Utd apart here despite having not initially been instant hits at Tottenham (yes, it's one game, but it's an example). If you apply the logic Gary Neville wants to apply to Solskjaer to Spurs instead, then Mourinho should be expecting Spurs to sign more players to replace those three but here he is putting them back in the side and getting a performance out of them.

But yes, you could make the same allegation of Guardiola in that respect, fair enough.

Things have gone a bit against Man Utd with the red card and Spurs upping their game today. A defeat under those circumstances wouldn't be a disaster but it's the complete lack of resilience or response from them that's a real concern. Spurs should be eyeing at least a couple more before full time.

• The title was changed to Man Utd 1-6 (Kane, 79") Tottenham - Sunday 4th October, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived