talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 2-2 Liverpool - Saturday 17th October, 2020

football forum

If that Pickford “challenge” is made anywhere else on the pitch, you would all be shouting for a red. I’m not having this “he’s making himself big” rubbish. Even if he’s not went out to intentionally injure VVD, It was still reckless and dangerous. He has scissored his legs! 

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

If that challenge happens on Pickford it's a red card. Even though goalkeepers are over protected anyway it's still made in a reckless way and puts another player in danger.

Not sure on Shearer going straight in for Oliver on MOTD for making a mistake in not seeing it. It's reasonable to suggest his view might have been obscured from his angle.

• Subscriber

It's offside by the letter of the law. It isn't debatable. Boo hoo that it happened to disallow your big winning goal in the last minute but that's football. It happened to us against Man Utd last season. You all pissed yourselves when it happened to Sterling against Spurs in that mental Champions League game. Happens to the Reds though and oh no we need to change the offside rule so that if a player is only just offside then he's not actually offside but only when it suits us. 

Yaaaaaawn.

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I don't get the Pickford has small arms thing. His arms are average length for a person his size, do you want them down to his knees?

I'm a tall guy with disproportionately long gibbon arms, so to be fair I just call everyone "short arms". 

• The title was changed to Everton 2-2 Liverpool - Saturday 17th October, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's offside by the letter of the law. It isn't debatable. Boo hoo that it happened to disallow your big winning goal in the last minute but that's football. It happened to us against Man Utd last season. You all pissed yourselves when it happened to Sterling against Spurs in that mental Champions League game. Happens to the Reds though and oh no we need to change the offside rule so that if a player is only just offside then he's not actually offside but only when it suits us. 

Yaaaaaawn.

It is debatable because the lines shown on the screens showed Mane to be onside. However, the officials behind closed doors said it was offside. Look at the stills the officials showed during the actual game... Mane is clearly onside.

Just let it go lads. Take comfort from the fact that Liverpool were very good and on top for large periods against a good side. The performance was everything I wanted to see after the shitshow against Aston Villa. Yeah we'll look dodgy at the back and concede goals without Alisson and/or Van Dijk but we'll just have to deal with that and hope that either aren't out too long.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Lost it how? I genuinely can't conceive of the idea of losing anything on an internet forum because a bunch of lads I've never met have different opinions to me about a bunch of other lads I've never met that happen to play football for different teams. You're only arsed because I've mentioned a player that plays for your team as an example. Son set out to deliberately foul Gomes, then when it went worse than he intended he was made out to be the victim by the national media. I know if I watched the same incident as a Spurs fan I'd be utterly convinced that the football pitch grew arms, reached up and grabbed Gomes' leg and snapped his ankle like a twig but I can assure you, it happened a bit different to that. As for Dele Alli, I don't remember the incident you're talking about but if it was anything like Van Dijk's injury today, he wouldn't have got injured if his studs weren't planted in the ground so if you think about it it was actually the ground who injured him. Alli is shite anyway so whoever you want to hold responsible for it you should be thanking them. 

I might be coming across like I've "lost it" because I'm replying to all of these posts. I can't help the fact there's about 7 of them and 1 of us on this forum to stick up for our players. I just find it incredibly hard to accept this lot calling one of our players dirty because of one tackle when half of them thought it was perfectly acceptable to keep supporting a player who literally bit opponents on the pitch on multiple occasions. This is the madness of supporting football clubs. If I don't call them out on it then they'll just all go round upvoting each other's misguided opinions and they'll argue with me for saying that but the fact is, that's what we all want because if they wanted an echo chamber they'd go to RAWK or somewhere else instead.

Like I said, we've had cunts play for both of our teams in derbies. If Richarlison is dirty or nasty because of one mistimed tackle where he went for the ball then god knows what you'd call Gerrard, Ferguson, Cahill, Kuyt, Suarez, Phil Neville and the rest of them.

Teams have been getting shafted by VAR every week since the start of last season. Liverpool have been on both sides of it, Everton have been on both sides of it, everyone else has too. Bournemouth arguably got relegated because the goal line technology saved Aston Villa a point. Teams have had it much worse than what they got today but nobody cry arses quite like the Reds when things don't go their way.

Bottom line is it's a good thing for the city and both sets of fans that the Merseyside derby is pissing people off enough to generate 11-12 page threads again. The level of civility and apathy towards the fixture from reds, blues and neutrals over the past 5 years has been an absolute disgrace. Red cards, heartbreak, controversy and cunts getting injured and the scouse clubs are 1 and 2 in the league. They're pissed off now but secretly they've grown bored of us being so shite and they've got Man Utd to laugh at now so they'd love an Everton-shaped thorn in their side.

Because bringing up Son was completely irrelevant. And the emotion of the injury suffered clouds your judgement that actually it was just a bit of freak incident that wasn’t cause by the tackle at all but the aftermath. There is a reason independent panel rescinded It. 

and on Pickford:

He has previous. 

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It is debatable because the lines shown on the screens showed Mane to be onside. However, the officials behind closed doors said it was offside. Look at the stills the officials showed during the actual game... Mane is clearly onside.

So it's debatable but Mane is clearly onside. Nobody can tell, I thought he looked on but you have to trust that the people with better technology than a still on television managed to find out which side of the line he was on. You have to take that on face value.

I'm not going to have a go because to be fair to you, you've been outspoken about these decisions not just when it went against your team, most on here have I think. I don't think anyone likes the way this happens with VAR. Whether or not they were right or wrong in this specific instance isn't really the issue, the real question is can they ever be absolutely sure when it's that close, and when did they go from saying VAR was to overrule clear and obvious mistakes, to starting to change offside rules and handball rules to get and make it all black and white so that they can use VAR for even more interventions? Their implementation of it has been horrific and completely against what it was designed for, on that we can all agree.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

So it's debatable but Mane is clearly onside. Nobody can tell, I thought he looked on but you have to trust that the people with better technology than a still on television managed to find out which side of the line he was on. You have to take that on face value.

I'm not going to have a go because to be fair to you, you've been outspoken about these decisions not just when it went against your team, most on here have I think. I don't think anyone likes the way this happens with VAR. Whether or not they were right or wrong in this specific instance isn't really the issue, the real question is can they ever be absolutely sure when it's that close, and when did they go from saying VAR was to overrule clear and obvious mistakes, to starting to change offside rules and handball rules to get and make it all black and white so that they can use VAR for even more interventions? Their implementation of it has been horrific and completely against what it was designed for, on that we can all agree.

Yep, totally agree on that mate! 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Storts said:

Because bringing up Son was completely irrelevant. And the emotion of the injury suffered clouds your judgement that actually it was just a bit of freak incident that wasn’t cause by the tackle at all but the aftermath. There is a reason independent panel rescinded It. 

and on Pickford:

He has previous. 

Son committed a nasty foul on Gomes. He didn't mean to break his leg but he was aiming for the player, not the ball, and if you do that you risk injuring someone. He has previous too, sent off twice for kicking out in revenge at other players who got physical with him. I didn't intend to pick a fight with you over it but Son was the first example that spring to mind because it happened against us. You can pretend it's laughable and that I'm being over emotional but the evidence is there.

As for Pickford, he's an erratic bastard that plays football like he's got ADHD, you'll get no argument from me on that front.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

I've tried to read through the thread.

Why are people saying Pickford should have been sent off? In relation to which rules?

The dangerous nature of the tackle. Scissor-style, feet off the ground, high on Van Dijk.

The offside before that precedes the tackle though, despite the injury caused to Van Dijk. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

The dangerous nature of the tackle. Scissor-style, feet off the ground, high on Van Dijk.

The offside before that precedes the tackle though, despite the injury caused to Van Dijk. 

Unless I'm missing something with the rules, it can only be red if it's deemed violent conduct.

What's more the issue is why Richarlison gets sent off after Michael Oliver has just stopped play for a previous foul but he does seem to blow the moment Richarlison jumps in.

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

54 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Unless I'm missing something with the rules, it can only be red if it's deemed violent conduct.

What's more the issue is why Richarlison gets sent off after Michael Oliver has just stopped play for a previous foul but he does seem to blow the moment Richarlison jumps in.

What are you posting that for? Pickford was going for the ball and the whistle hadn't been blown for offside at that point. Offside was only given after review. 

Everybody and their mothers agree he should have walked so please, don't be one of those digging up anything you can from a rule book that is never followed during games by referees anyway.

Let's just all agree Pickford is a big knob who should have seen red and move on.

I'll post a link later. Apparently liverpool had a net score of plus 2 last year because of var. Which means without it they would have scored less. That doesn't necessarily mean they have benefitted because other teams scores are in a plus as well. I think they are about mid table 

2 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Serious foul play is a sending off offence:

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

There's no way that challenge didn't constitute serious foul play

Archived