talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Slaven Bilic Sacked; Allardyce Appointed

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness, they’ve been pretty bad across two divisions since the restart of football. They have conceded too many at both levels and won very few games. I get that it’s not great timing off the back of a draw vs City and with a derby against Villa next but they’ve not been performing that well for a decent period now. 

Allardyce FFS. 

It’s akin to a couple of years ago when they replaced Pulis with Pardew. Football clubs spend thousands, some probably millions, on analysing players for recruitment, I know no team plans on sacking a manager but surely they do some sort of analysis into managers, their records, their tactics, their traits, what the make up of their squads were etc. This appointment would appear that they don’t. 

• Subscriber

Oh how we've all yearned to see Sam Allardyce back in charge of a Premier League club. I'm glad they've been to Goodison already this season because we all know how that would have gone with that toad in charge. 

I don't have much time for Bilic either. That's the problem with teams like West Brom. They win promotion to the top flight by looking at the short-term and relying on experienced journeymen in their playing staff and choice of manager because they want to get promoted ASAP, but then there's no plan for what comes next. If West Brom want to come up and stay up, they'd be better served going for a manager with the capacity to grow into the transition from Championship to Premier League. It doesn't always work. Scott Parker is a good example where the jury is still out on whether Fulham's faith in him is going to pay off, but other clubs who have come up and done well recently largely kept the same manager. Santo at Wolves (okay a lot of financial help there but still), Howe at Bournemouth, Smith is starting to get the job done with Aston Villa despite things being hairy for them last season. There are other clubs who have chopped and changed and stayed up like Newcastle and Southampton, but Newcastle are such a big club that they never should have gone down in the first place and Southampton had a structure in place that went beyond the manager.

You just know with West From that Allardyce will come in, they'll sign a couple of experienced Premier League players in January (hopefully Delph and Tosun) and stay up in about 15th place with a few shithousey wins. Then they might do the same next year, but then what? Unless they establish a real club philosophy other than "get promoted back to the Premiership at all costs and stay there at all costs", they'll always just be looking for the next Bilic or Allardyce to give them a well-timed new manager bounce that'll help get them to 40 points until they mess up the timing or the appointment and tailspin back to the Championship.

• The title was changed to Slaven Bilic Sacked; Allardyce Lined Up As Replacement
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Oh how we've all yearned to see Sam Allardyce back in charge of a Premier League club. I'm glad they've been to Goodison already this season because we all know how that would have gone with that toad in charge. 

I don't have much time for Bilic either. That's the problem with teams like West Brom. They win promotion to the top flight by looking at the short-term and relying on experienced journeymen in their playing staff and choice of manager because they want to get promoted ASAP, but then there's no plan for what comes next. If West Brom want to come up and stay up, they'd be better served going for a manager with the capacity to grow into the transition from Championship to Premier League. It doesn't always work. Scott Parker is a good example where the jury is still out on whether Fulham's faith in him is going to pay off, but other clubs who have come up and done well recently largely kept the same manager. Santo at Wolves (okay a lot of financial help there but still), Howe at Bournemouth, Smith is starting to get the job done with Aston Villa despite things being hairy for them last season. There are other clubs who have chopped and changed and stayed up like Newcastle and Southampton, but Newcastle are such a big club that they never should have gone down in the first place and Southampton had a structure in place that went beyond the manager.

You just know with West From that Allardyce will come in, they'll sign a couple of experienced Premier League players in January (hopefully Delph and Tosun) and stay up in about 15th place with a few shithousey wins. Then they might do the same next year, but then what? Unless they establish a real club philosophy other than "get promoted back to the Premiership at all costs and stay there at all costs", they'll always just be looking for the next Bilic or Allardyce to give them a well-timed new manager bounce that'll help get them to 40 points until they mess up the timing or the appointment and tailspin back to the Championship.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Bilic, yeah his final season at West Ham didn't go well but he took them to a good 7th place finish and then had to manage the transition to an Olympic stadium whilst losing star player Payet and replacing him with Robert Snodgrass lol

I think Bilic would be a decent appointment for most teams in the Championship and all in all West Brom have spent about £35m this season, he might not have the Allardyce effect in being able to keep a team up all the time but I wouldn't say he was a short-sighted appointment, especially as he turned around a pretty negative atmosphere at the club after relegations and drink driving issues. In terms of their team Diangana and Pereira are good long-term signings and whilst Sawyers is in his late 20s he was one of the best midfielders in the Championship and has the style of play to play on into his 30s. Charlie Austin is one of those players that you might say is a short-term player but in fairness to them there he was mainly a sub anyway

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

I think you're being a bit harsh on Bilic, yeah his final season at West Ham didn't go well but he took them to a good 7th place finish and then had to manage the transition to an Olympic stadium whilst losing star player Payet and replacing him with Robert Snodgrass lol

I think Bilic would be a decent appointment for most teams in the Championship and all in all West Brom have spent about £35m this season, he might not have the Allardyce effect in being able to keep a team up all the time but I wouldn't say he was a short-sighted appointment, especially as he turned around a pretty negative atmosphere at the club after relegations and drink driving issues. In terms of their team Diangana and Pereira are good long-term signings and whilst Sawyers is in his late 20s he was one of the best midfielders in the Championship and has the style of play to play on into his 30s. Charlie Austin is one of those players that you might say is a short-term player but in fairness to them there he was mainly a sub anyway

Yeah fair points. I mean the sacking is just weirdly timed. It's like they've predicted a massive slump before it's really happened and panicked pre-emptively. I watched them at City last night and as much as City lack creativity outside of De Bruyne, West Brom defended really well. They're near the bottom of the table but they didn't look like a team without a plan or without desire. 

Archived