talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will Sheff Utd Break Derby's PL Points Record?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

What's the total? I think they'll get 15-20 points to be fair.

No point in Wilder going at this point because there's no keeping them up now. They'd need to get 38 points in 23 games to hit the 40 point mark which might not be necessary for 17th but to get in that ball park is around 1.5 points per game or more which is better than what they managed last season. Whether they want to give him another chance when they go down to rebuild and come back up, that's what they need to base their decision on.

I do think he's a decent manager but people got carried away with him last season. I love some of their tactical innovations but they do seem to have been found out this season. At the same time if you look at the quality in the squad they have no business really performing better than even the likes of Brighton and Fulham. Even if they'd put the Brewster money to better use, I think they'd have really struggled this season regardless of manager, coaching and tactics.

I think there’s a good chance they put up less points than Derby this season. Don’t want to say it’s nailed on, because they did pretty fucking well last season - and how good they actually are is somewhere between where they finished last season and how poor they look now.

I don’t think they stay up this season though.

They haven't played us yet so that's 6 points for them.

I don't think they'll break any records, it's a shame really because I really like Wilder and think he's an excellent manager. Seems like it's the lockdown that fucked them, they struggled after that even last season. Their squad is just full of Championship players though.

They have 3 winnable games next. A limited Burnley team, a Palace side that's a bit of an enigma and Newcastle who are perennial strugglers.

I'd not be surprised to see them string a couple wins out of those games.

If they remarkably lose all three of those, the record is definitely on.

7 hours ago, N U F C said:

They haven't played us yet so that's 6 points for them.

I don't think they'll break any records, it's a shame really because I really like Wilder and think he's an excellent manager. Seems like it's the lockdown that fucked them, they struggled after that even last season. Their squad is just full of Championship players though.

That’s correct post-lockdown it’s all gone downhill, it disrupted our rhythm and we lost the 12th man and clubs like ours need that to galvanise the team. Add a season-long injury to our most important defender and losing the best keeper in the league so he can chill on Man-Yoo’s bench and you’ve got a recipe for disaster. There have been no embarrassing defeats and as mentioned above, mostly narrow and even recently against Everton it took an 80th minute winner, Wilder going makes no sense as mathematically it would take a miracle now to stay up and there isn’t anyone out there who’d be a step up for a Championship campaign with the players we have.

If we had an owner willing to get us to the next level, we’d have changed our wage structure in the summer and signed the players we really needed, not everyone can do a Burnley (although they have a higher wage bill than us, we are rock bottom).

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, DNA said:

That’s correct post-lockdown it’s all gone downhill, it disrupted our rhythm and we lost the 12th man and clubs like ours need that to galvanise the team. Add a season-long injury to our most important defender and losing the best keeper in the league so he can chill on Man-Yoo’s bench and you’ve got a recipe for disaster. There have been no embarrassing defeats and as mentioned above, mostly narrow and even recently against Everton it took an 80th minute winner, Wilder going makes no sense as mathematically it would take a miracle now to stay up and there isn’t anyone out there who’d be a step up for a Championship campaign with the players we have.

If we had an owner willing to get us to the next level, we’d have changed our wage structure in the summer and signed the players we really needed, not everyone can do a Burnley (although they have a higher wage bill than us, we are rock bottom).

Did United specifically recall Henderson or could you'll not afford him on the wage bill anymore? That seemed a bit odd to me because as you said hes not getting regular play time at United and playing second fiddle to DeGea. 

10 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Did United specifically recall Henderson or could you'll not afford him on the wage bill anymore? That seemed a bit odd to me because as you said hes not getting regular play time at United and playing second fiddle to DeGea. 

He desperately wanted to go back and ‘fight’ for his spot 9_9, man-yu have put him on a massive new deal as well, which makes a loan less viable. Suppose it’s a bit of both really, he’s falling into obscurity now though, all the hype gone and his international spot dead in the water.

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, DNA said:

He desperately wanted to go back and ‘fight’ for his spot 9_9, man-yu have put him on a massive new deal as well, which makes a loan less viable. Suppose it’s a bit of both really, he’s falling into obscurity now though, all the hype gone and his international spot dead in the water.

Well I suppose he did spend his youth career there and wants to make an impression but he was doing so well for you'll. It may have been watching DeGea decline a bit and thinking I have a chance with all the momentum I have built for myself only to realize the manager still favors the Spaniard over him. I think its a waste to have someone with the kind of talent he has sitting on the bench but then again who knows what he really wants in the end. 

• Subscriber

I think they'll end up with more points than that Derby team did. They're just struggling to fire in the goals at the moment and losing Hendo hasn't helped them keep them out either. If you look at their xG, they're actually creating more chances than a few of the teams above them like West Brom, Burnley, Newcastle and even Wolves but they're issue is actually getting those shots into the net. 

Archived