talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(QF) Belgium 1-2 Italy - Friday 2nd July, 2021

football forum

Italy deserved it. They were breathtaking to watch till the last 10mins when the game became stop start and they saw it out. But for 80mins, their football was majestic.

Insigne, Veratti, Chiesa, Spinazzola and Barella were all class and combined so well in that final third. Jorginho the perfect anchor man keeping things ticking over.

Massive massive shout outs to the two big brick shithouses at the back, Bonucci and Chiellini, who were giants when needed near the end there. How old are they now and yet they are still so colossus in those moments.

Gutted for Spinazzola. What saddens me most about seeing him o off like that is that I think he's up there for player of the tournament. Been a breath of fresh air for a makeshift LB.

There is no way Emerson will replace what Italy have lost in Spinazzola. Could be a bigger loss than we think.

As for Belgium, they were blown away by the Italian midfield. They had their moments but in the main, if that was a boxing match, they would have been well down on points. Lukaku was well shackled and everything threatening seemed to stem from Doku.

Ultimately, i think the old legs in defence couldn't withstand the intense Italian attack.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Sandro Wagner is a pundit on German TV, and he said he himself tore his achilles tendon a few time in his career, and that injury really reminded him of that. The way Spinazolla moved etc. 

I need more Sandro in my life.

5 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I need more Sandro in my life.

He even made Bela Rethy somewhat tolerable. And he's the worst commentator on earth. 

23 minutes ago, shut up said:

I did my achilles when celebrating a goal I'd scored xD

Anyway, i backed italy to win it so I'm feeling pretty smug right now

Why they are only in the semi final. 

Tonight will have taken a lot out of them, I'm really encouraged by how much the teams on the other side of the draw are having to put into these games. 

Time zones have killed my chances of watching anything properly - but waking up to this was a shock despite how well Mancini has Italia set up. I just thought this was finally Belgium’s time to make a final. Italy gotta be the favourites now.

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

Time zones have killed my chances of watching anything properly - but waking up to this was a shock despite how well Mancini has Italia set up. I just thought this was finally Belgium’s time to make a final. Italy gotta be the favourites now.

Watch the first half if you can. Some cracking goals from Italy...Simply wonderful to watch. 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

He also said one of the players was "fast like a moped" 😂

Cheers Geoff! 

My thoughts. 

@Spike Your boy Immobile should be chemically castrated for being a number 1 cunt

2 hours ago, montybhopa said:

The golden generation has flopped. Only one SF and 3 QF. England is on course of having two B2B semi finals yet this 'golden generation' cant

How many times did Englands golden generation finish 3rd at a major tournament? 

14 minutes ago, Eco said:

Watch the first half if you can. Some cracking goals from Italy...Simply wonderful to watch. 

Have bought a month subscription to watch games and the most I’ve watched in a row is one half of England. Sleep is so precious. But yep will at least check highlights out. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

I've done my achilles and it's excruciating. I'd say it's that or pulled calf. If it was hamstring he'd be clutching that as soon as it goes. 

He has my sympathies. To see him in bits on the stretcher wasn't nice to see. 

Don't know if you've ever seen an Achilles on a cadaver for any reason, but even looking at one gives me the shivers. Just so exposed and fragile. 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Cheers Geoff! 

My thoughts. 

@Spike Your boy Immobile should be chemically castrated for being a number 1 cunt

How many times did Englands golden generation finish 3rd at a major tournament? 

he is a Namibian consulate what do you expect bruz?

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Italy deserved it. They were breathtaking to watch till the last 10mins when the game became stop start and they saw it out. But for 80mins, their football was majestic.

Insigne, Veratti, Chiesa, Spinazzola and Barella were all class and combined so well in that final third. Jorginho the perfect anchor man keeping things ticking over.

Massive massive shout outs to the two big brick shithouses at the back, Bonucci and Chiellini, who were giants when needed near the end there. How old are they now and yet they are still so colossus in those moments.

Gutted for Spinazzola. What saddens me most about seeing him o off like that is that I think he's up there for player of the tournament. Been a breath of fresh air for a makeshift LB.

There is no way Emerson will replace what Italy have lost in Spinazzola. Could be a bigger loss than we think.

As for Belgium, they were blown away by the Italian midfield. They had their moments but in the main, if that was a boxing match, they would have been well down on points. Lukaku was well shackled and everything threatening seemed to stem from Doku.

Ultimately, i think the old legs in defence couldn't withstand the intense Italian attack.

He always plays LB though?

12 hours ago, Stan said:

There's a lot more talent in the squad than 2012 I think. At least far more recognisable and respected talent. 

Players like De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku, Witsel, Courtois are just a few players that are better now than they were back then.

Add to that the experience of Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Tielemans, Carrasco, Mertens and I think it's fair to say why people are taking more notice of them as a serious contender to achieve something.

I wouldn't go as far as they are the best ever team or anything like that, but when it comes to this tournament, they were definitely one of the strongest. 

I would say only De Bruyne is truly world class. The rest are good players, but not top tier.

Italy played some excellent stuff in the first-half and had a great spirit of sacrifice.

Tasty semi-final we'll have next Tuesday, This will be the forth consecutive match between Italy and Spain in the Euros. Spain leads 2-1.

• Subscriber

Im going to feel sorry for Unai if Italy come out against Spain the way they did in the first half today. I don't think Italy's defense is really going to get tested as much against Enrique's squad. 

Tough to take for a Belgium side that had such high hopes before the tournament.

If I'm honest, they hadn't really looked right from the start, bit like France. You really expect them to blow teams away but it seemed a constant struggle. They never quite reached full flow.

Played a stinking Russian team which is no real barometer, got lucky v Denmark, scraped past a dour Finland and got lucky v Portugal.

De Bruyne, Hazard and Witsel came in not fully fit, which wasn't the most ideal preparation and in the end, inevitably took it's toll. They lost Hazard again and KDB played through a ligament injury and was clearly not himself.

I'd also go as far as to say Lukaku just ran out of puff. Just had an immense season for Inter but he looked in need of a good rest the last couple matches there but they are so reliant on him.

I feel a bit for them because it reminds me of the team we had under Sven and the expectancy is huge to fulfill the potential. You'd never write them off next year's World Cup with the options they have in attack but last night did have 'last chance vibes' about it.

Sad for Belgium that they really never did anything with the generation of players that they have had, now most are approaching the end of the careers at International football with no real good youth coming through in high numbers.  

So attention turns to the big match of the semi-finals, which you definitely feel the winner of the whole tournament will come from.

Seems to be a bit of inevitably about Italy playing Spain at the Euros nowadays. 

4th tournament in a row. 

2008 L16 - Spain 0 - 0 (aet) Italy - Last 16 (QF) Pens 4-2

2012 F - Spain 4 - 0 Italy 

2016 L16 -  Italy 2 - 0 Spain

2021 SF - To Be Written

More bizarrely they ain't met at the World Cup since 1994 and hadn't met each other at the Euros for 20 years before 2008. Surely a likely fixture in 2022 at Qatar. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived