talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

No player should be forgotten and I know you wasn’t trying to attempt to compare the two, but to bypass Fashanu is one thing (unforgivable), but Laurie Cunningham?  Come on!  There are much more lauded English players than Cunningham and the only time Cunningham gets his moment of limelight is through curiousity videos or documentaries that are racially motivated due to certain eras and the culture of the time.  That’s not football!  That’s not how his name should be called up and I would prefer wonderfully illustrated videos like that didn’t have to be made because they’re educational almost if you get what I mean and where does that tell you things are?

How else is a fifteen year old supposed to learn?How can ot not be 'racially motovated' when race was an integral aspect of his oife?

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Indeed mate and that’s what’s sad about it for me.

It isn't always so sad... yeah in an idealised world they'd be remembered for their sports glory but sometimes a person's life and legacy means more than just what happened on the pitch. Bosman for instance is a nobody as an athlete but as a man he changed the power structure and the relationship between a club and a player.

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

It isn't always so sad... yeah in an idealised world they'd be remembered for their sports glory but sometimes a person's life and legacy means more than just what happened on the pitch. Bosman for instance is a nobody as an athlete but as a man he changed the power structure and the relationship between a club and a player.

I know what you’re getting at and that’s also important.  I’m not disagreeing with you and am just stating what you say that they should be remembered like the rest.  I mean, he was the first English player to player for Real Madrid and was the most expensive signing in the world at one point because he had merited it.

@Spike I think @SirBalon's point was more that it's sad that he's remembered only through the focus of being black (would we be talking about him otherwise had Cyrille Regis not died?) rather than being remembered firstly for his footballing achievements and attributes in the game and then also for his achievements as a black footballer through a time where it was difficult or impossible to be one.

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

@Spike I think @SirBalon's point was more that it's sad that he's remembered only through the focus of being black (would we be talking about him otherwise had Cyrille Regis not died?) rather than being remembered firstly for his footballing achievements and attributes in the game and then also for his achievements as a black footballer through a time where it was difficult or impossible to be one.

I know, that is what we were talking about xD

11 hours ago, Blue said:

I've been looking at more career options involved in football. I've been looking to become a scout as well as I love recommending players as well as having a database on them - mostly U23. One thing I've been doing recently is speaking to a few agents about recommending moves to certain players. I still don't have the power to actually go through with that, but step by step.

I won't say who I've been talking about but I want to target more commonwealth markets.

I don't know how you find the time to be a journalist, a club chairman, and a scout. You truly are a credit to the human race Brian. 

Just now, The Palace Fan said:

I don't know how you find the time to be a journalist, a club chairman, and a scout. You truly are a credit to the human race Brian. 

Its called ambition.

Its quite easy to be a scout and a journalist though. Most people, even in England are that. Well, not scouts but managers or coaches. 

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Its called ambition.

Its quite easy to be a scout and a journalist though. Most people, even in England are that. Well, not scouts but managers or coaches. 

Anything else you're planning to achieve this year Brian? Maybe a Managerial role in a more lucrative South American league? Or why don't you become an agent yourself?

6 hours ago, Batard said:

@Spike Laurie was such a great man and deserves to be remembered fondly. I hope next year they will remember the anniversary of his death and do something special for him. Bloke was dynamite 

6 hours ago, Danny said:

6 hours ago, Spike said:

I know, that is what we were talking about xD

Only two players and on only two occasions has a Real Madrid player been applauded in unison by the Camp Nou for an individual performance of utter excellence and those two were and remain Alfredo di Stéfano and Laurie Cunningham.

32 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

All good! New staff member? :congrats:

Work has been keeping me busy, as has a hormonal pregnant woman.  :clown::coffee:

I used to be tide. So I go far back to the OG days, though not as long as you.

Congrats on the kid. Your first?

Batard just had a kid, Phil is still busy with 2 girls, and my wife and I just had our first.

Bloody injured myself while working. Luckily it's not too bad but jumping off a staircase to find the other match my foot twisted itself badly and now I can barely walk. 

Thankfully it's not broken but that was a close call.

Well, here we are - Just 2 more days of work before leaving this company I've been at for so long. It's been a weird 2018 thus far, with being a father, running my first ultra marathon, leaving the job I've had for half my life, and my boss getting cancer for the seventh time, it's just been an emotional roller coaster.

18 hours ago, Stan said:

you still gonna be alright to scout, be a journalist AND be a club chairman?!

I'll be OK to go to our game tomorrow I think. The Monumental always requires a long walk, but its getting better.

18 hours ago, nudge said:

Just reading that made me feel sick... I badly twisted my ankle during a basketball game in high school, resulting in torn ligaments and suspected partial fracture, it was horrible :|

Basketball injuries are nasty - the ones to Paul George and Kevin Ware made me hesistant to play to sport for a while. Its not just broken fingers like some think.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Blue said:

Basketball injuries are nasty - the ones to Paul George and Kevin Ware made me hesistant to play to sport for a while. Its not just broken fingers like some think.

Meh, sports always carry a risk of injury; basketball is not that bad as there's not so much contact in general. I had my fair share of jammed fingers and a few ankle sprains during my ten year's of playing, and it also tends to wear your knees out, but in general, it's not too bad. I found athletics (track&field) much worse to be honest, especially on joints and muscles.

George's injury happened because the stanchion was too close, Ware's one was a freak accident, very uncommon, so bad luck more than anything else. Horrible to watch though!

I agree - injuries are going to happen in all sports. I just do long distance running and I'm constantly working on healing my IT band/foot/calf/thigh/back, as I train for some of my events. Since I really don't workout all that much, I don't think I would hold up well in basketball. I mainly stick with stretching, light-ish weights, and calisthenics.