talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are you a picky eater?

football forum

Do you consider yourself to be a picky/fussy eater?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself to be a picky/fussy eater?

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, Spike said:

This must be an old Australian/British thing because my grandparents and my mother would slather so much butter on everything that as a kid I was convinced I hated butter. I didn't hate it, they just used too much, they’d make me jam, vegemite, peanut butter, or honey sandwiches for school and instead mainly being jam or vegemite they’d be 90% butter. I remember seeing poppy slather a piece of white bread with probably near a tablespoon of butter, then he’d put half a tin of condensed milk in his coffee.

As a kid I would eat porridge oats in a cup without the milk with sugar, then tins of nestles condensed milk, I would scoop it out with a spoon, also a bread & sugar sandwich with butter

This was around the early '50s and I think rationing was still going on after WWll and with my old man away at sea in the merchant navy, my mother had 9 of us to look after, things were tight in those days but we got by the best way we could.

I can remember sitting around a coal & wood fire in the lounge with a slice of bread on a fork toasting it then adding the butter after, my mum would save out using the gas cooker then as we had the old gas & electric metres which would take half-penny pieces for gas & electric, run out then we would sit in the dark with candles until one of my eldest sisters run out and try and get some half-penny pieces.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
45 minutes ago, Spike said:

I didn’t take you for a particularly orthodox religious man. 

I wouldn't say I am. But that's one thing I have stuck by all my life. 

17 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

As a kid I would eat porridge oats in a cup without the milk with sugar, then tins of nestles condensed milk, I would scoop it out with a spoon, also a bread & sugar sandwich with butter

This was around the early '50s and I think rationing was still going on after WWll and with my old man away at sea in the merchant navy, my mother had 9 of us to look after, things were tight in those days but we got by the best way we could.

I can remember sitting around a coal & wood fire in the lounge with a slice of bread on a fork toasting it then adding the butter after, my mum would save out using the gas cooker then as we had the old gas & electric metres which would take half-penny pieces for gas & electric, run out then we would sit in the dark with candles until one of my eldest sisters run out and try and get some half-penny pieces.

I don’t think that is too unusual for my grandparents generation. They are a little older than you and grew up in the bush so whatever rationing or shortages Australia went through would have been amplified by the isolation of the community. But the economic needs of the war kind of pulled Australia out of poverty, most people don’t really know or realise but up until after WW2 Australia was a very poor, very agrarian country, that had very little development in terms of a national scale. Everything between WWI and WW2 was very bad for Australia, teetering on civil war, pro-UK monarchists, separatists, their were even parts of the government that were insisting on bankrupting the nation to repay the ‘war loans’ owed to the UK, as the British government at the time was still treating its colonies like ATMs.

On 22/07/2022 at 21:11, nudge said:

1586044975-98155-picky.jpeg

Yes and no.

I used to eat anything except for broccoli and turnip which I have not liked the flavour of ever since I can remember. So out of that list, which I have tried everything in it at least once, it's only Broccoli I won't eat.

These days I'm very picky for nutritional reasons.

• Subscriber

Didn't think so many people refused to eat blue cheese 😅

I'm not a massive fan, but it kinda goes well with whisky. I also had a burger with blue cheese once, it was incredibly good.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, nudge said:

Didn't think so many people refused to eat blue cheese 😅

I'm not a massive fan, but it kinda goes well with whisky. I also had a burger with blue cheese once, it was incredibly good.

The one that I've had just tasted like it had gone off. Very salty. And of course looked mouldy too. 

Prefer mature/extra mature cheddars, or spicy/chilli-cheese combinations.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

The one that I've had just tasted like it had gone off. Very salty. And of course looked mouldy too. 

Prefer mature/extra mature cheddars, or spicy/chilli-cheese combinations.

My dad used to buy Limburger cheese which is extremely smelly. Whenever he'd buy and put it in the fridge, I was always wondering what has gone rotten 😂 proper stinky stuff.

• Subscriber
Just now, Coma said:

Only thing on that list that I haven't tried is snails and I'd probably try them once.

Let's try them at some point within the next 2 months? A forum challenge 😂

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Unless I'm digging them out of my garden I'm not sure where I'd find them 😆.  They aren't exactly a staple here in the Midwest.

• Subscriber
Just now, Coma said:

Unless I'm digging them out of my garden I'm not sure where I'd find them 😆.  They aren't exactly a staple here in the Midwest.

Hmmm any French restaurant? 🤔

6 hours ago, Coma said:

I’ve got tonnes of snails in the backyard. Not often do I walk past them thinking “mmmm, they’ll be good to eat”. Like @nudge probably does. Haha 

On 23/07/2022 at 06:11, nudge said:

1586044975-98155-picky.jpeg

See, I am a picky eater, but not because of the foods I refuse to eat, its about the quality and price. 

When I lived in the center of Wollongong I would only regularly eat takeaway from 5 places. 

The best takeaway sushi in town
The best Chinese takeaway in town
The best takeaway pizza in town (but only on a cheap Tuesday) 
The 2nd best takeaway burger place in town (cost $5 -$7 less per meal than the best though) 
And the best burger place in town, despite being slightly less value for money.

To eat anywhere else would be pissing money up the wall, because it's going to be more expensive or less tasty than these. An inefficiency I can't stomach. 

Serve me a nice steak and I'll eat it, serve me an overdone or cheap cut and I'll refuse. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

See, I am a picky eater, but not because of the foods I refuse to eat, its about the quality and price. 

When I lived in the center of Wollongong I would only regularly eat takeaway from 5 places. 

The best takeaway sushi in town
The best Chinese takeaway in town
The best takeaway pizza in town (but only on a cheap Tuesday) 
The 2nd best takeaway burger place in town (cost $5 -$7 less per meal than the best though) 
And the best burger place in town, despite being slightly less value for money.

To eat anywhere else would be pissing money up the wall, because it's going to be more expensive or less tasty than these. An inefficiency I can't stomach. 

Serve me a nice steak and I'll eat it, serve me an overdone or cheap cut and I'll refuse. 

All you had to do was count :ph34r:

13 hours ago, nudge said:

Let's not...

Like @Toinho when I am doing stuff in the garden I don't look down and pick up any random snail and shovel them down like some random snack while fixing the fence.. 

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

1. sushi
2. Chinese
3. Pizza
4. burger 2
5. Burger 1

You want it in roman numerals? 

With apostrophes.

I used to be an insanely picky eater. I'd literally only eat cereal, pizza, pasta, or junk food pretty much every day and used to hate things like chicken because I wasn't a fan of the texture and dryness of it if there was no sauce/marinade.

When I got hit by a car while cycling all of that completely changed. Pretty much each anything and everything now.

• Subscriber

I love cheese but I can't remember if I have eaten it before because I know the wife does not like blue cheese and won't buy it, I asked her out of curiosity why and she said they put a wire through it when making it and made it look like mould after yet that was her grandfathers favourite cheese. 

10 hours ago, Toinho said:

I’ve got tonnes of snails in the backyard. Not often do I walk past them thinking “mmmm, they’ll be good to eat”. Like @nudge probably does. Haha 

Honestly, I'm not opposed to trying any food really.  Not saying I'd like it necessarily but it's worth a try.

Archived