talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL Round 5 Matches - 30th Aug-1st Sept, 2022

football forum

Would be concerned if I were Palace there, no determination or motivation to win the game. Can’t be playing like that at home.

Good performance for us, disappointing to only draw. We created about 2-3 clear cut chances there and should have won, Palace didn’t really create anything other than hopeful long rangers. We dominated the first half but couldn’t create that chances needed, first 10-20 minutes of the second half Palace took control but after that our subs changed the game and we took full control.

But draws keep you in the league and we’ll be nowhere near relegation playing like this.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly where has this Palace dominated the game nonsense come from? They were the lesser team in the first half, had a good 20 minutes in the second but ultimately they never created chances in the box, just padded their stats out with long range shots. We did create some chances at the end and also dominated the rest of the half.

Looked okay until we conceded the equaliser, from that point i don't think we managed to create a single good chance. Excellent start to the season, at some points of the game it looked like these players never played together in their lives.

Leeds v Everton will probably end 1-1.

I said after the first 4 matches how scratchy they've been that you need to improve. Losing by one goal isn't a disaster but 5 goals conceded in two consecutive away matches? Improve quickly Chelsea.

• Subscriber

It's too early to properly panic but I must say we need to fix up because I am not seeing as much dross down the bottom this time around - not as much as last year anyway. The sides I expected to struggle were the promoted three, Leeds, Southampton, Everton and Brentford. Well Fulham, Leeds, Southampton and Brentford all look fine and Forest are still a huge unknown quantity.

• Administrator

Caught the last 20 of Leeds vs Everton. 

Wouldn't say there was a lot of quality, but it was very energetic, frantic, frenetic. I can only dream of such energy shown at Leicester right now xD

Both sides putting a lot of effort in. Gelhardt had the best chance to win it but Pickford came out sharply. 

• Subscriber

1-1 FT. Leeds didn't create quite as many clear-cut chances as Brentford did on Saturday but the story is similar. Comfortably second best for most of the game, not passing the ball well enough, not enough in the way of legs on the pitch. The result is us surrendering 70% possession on the night and having to rely on too many defensive interventions to stop the opposition from scoring. Liverpool and Arsenal up next so we're likely looking at sitting on 3 points after 7 games.

Lampard made no substitutions tonight which goes to show how poor the depth in our squad is. There are plenty of senior players on the bench but you're looking at the likes of Keane, Allan, Rondon, Gomes, all of whom are essentially transfer listed and 6th-7th choice in their position, often behind players who don't even primarily play in their position. Mina, Godfrey, Holgate, Doucoure and Calvert-Lewin all in various stages of recovery and Maupay, Gueye and potentially one more to add before the window closes. These add some of the running that we're missing at the moment, add some balance but Lampard has his work cut out fashioning a team out of that who can actually impose themselves as the dominant force in football matches. We probably won't see much of that in away games anyway so I suppose the ability to grind out results like the last two should be appreciated to some extent. Things would feel a lot better if we'd have won our one "easy" fixture from the first five in Nottm Forest at home. I suppose those home games against our fellow likely bottom-halfers are where we're going to have to look to pick up most of our points.

It is probably a fair draw looking back although it will feel like three points that got away.

Had so much of the ball and piled on a lot of pressure but ultimately it felt a case of loads of huff and puff without that end bit of quality. Annoying because the effort was there and we just needed more composure at pivitol moments.

Our desperation for the winner caused us to flirt with losing the game which is typical us, they had a couple chances to win it.

I think when a team plays a bit of a low block, tries to time waste and break up your momentum, as the attacking side you force it and don't quite make the right decisions on the ball and that felt like us tonight. We seemed to struggle to find other ideas with Everton being disciplined and resolute. Pickford's made a couple good saves but I still would have liked to see us create a bit more.

But we only have ourselves to blame in a game like this. Poor from Llorente to let the ball go through him like that for Everton to take the lead. You're asking for trouble giving cheap goals away like that when a team sets its stall out to defend and break them down.

Got lucky with the Gray goal chalked off, that looked tight and had it shown a green line, I'd have accepted it.

Everton did well to kill our momentum, they were a bit 'clever' with the time wasting so no idea why the referee only had 3mins at the end there.

Will take the point on the balance of the game but Everton home is one you target for three and sadly feels like two dropped. 

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It is probably a fair draw looking back although it will feel like three points that got away.

Had so much of the ball and piled on a lot of pressure but ultimately it felt a case of loads of huff and puff without that end bit of quality. Annoying because the effort was there and we just needed more composure at pivitol moments.

Our desperation for the winner caused us to flirt with losing the game which is typical us, they had a couple chances to win it.

I think when a team plays a bit of a low block, tries to time waste and break up your momentum, as the attacking side you force it and don't quite make the right decisions on the ball and that felt like us tonight. We seemed to struggle to find other ideas with Everton being disciplined and resolute. Pickford's made a couple good saves but I still would have liked to see us create a bit more.

But we only have ourselves to blame in a game like this. Poor from Llorente to let the ball go through him like that for Everton to take the lead. You're asking for trouble giving cheap goals away like that when a team sets its stall out to defend and break them down.

Got lucky with the Gray goal chalked off, that looked tight and had it shown a green line, I'd have accepted it.

Everton did well to kill our momentum, they were a bit 'clever' with the time wasting so no idea why the referee only had 3mins at the end there.

Will take the point on the balance of the game but Everton home is one you target for three and sadly feels like two dropped. 

Having beaten Chelsea 3-0 I imagine you were expecting to beat Everton weren't you?

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Even I was getting fed up with our approach although I could see why we were doing it. It was more successful in the first half where the crowd and Leeds bench were clearly riled and there were 4 minutes added on.

Leeds did a better job of keeping the game moving in the second half and I think with us making no substitutes that's probably why there were only three minutes.

Getting so tired of the Chelsea attackers are shit excuse. 

I get it. They aren't great. But Tuchel has been here 2 years, had every single profile of an attacker you can think of at his disposal, and not a single one of them looked good. 

Kulusevski for example, had horrid end product at Juventus. Came to Spurs, and Conte immediately improved his output. 

2 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

Having beaten Chelsea 3-0 I imagine you were expecting to beat Everton weren't you?

Very much so, and when a team defends as much as Everton did during the game, you feel a little bit 'robbed' when you dominate proceedings and don't win.

That said, have to try and not get above our station too much. We've no devine right to win any game and we are still very much a work in progress under Marsch.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Even I was getting fed up with our approach although I could see why we were doing it. It was more successful in the first half where the crowd and Leeds bench were clearly riled and there were 4 minutes added on.

Leeds did a better job of keeping the game moving in the second half and I think with us making no substitutes that's probably why there were only three minutes.

To be fair, you set your stall out well and we played into your hands not using the width. We were too narrow. I also think having an extra midfielder in Davies was a good move by you in that it helped close down space in midfield for us to find gaps.

The funny thing was, when you had the sniff of a counter in the last 25/20mins or so, I thought you looked dangerous, especially if Gordon or Gray were involved.

From your point of view, I think you'll kick yourself a bit you never gave yourself a couple more opportunities to run at our centre backs but making it a bit of a basketball game would probably have suited us more.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Very much so, and when a team defends as much as Everton did during the game, you feel a little bit 'robbed' when you dominate proceedings and don't win.

That said, have to try and not get above our station too much. We've no devine right to win any game and we are still very much a work in progress under Marsch.

I think the form against Chelsea will come back so don't worry about last night's result.

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Getting so tired of the Chelsea attackers are shit excuse. 

I get it. They aren't great. But Tuchel has been here 2 years, had every single profile of an attacker you can think of at his disposal, and not a single one of them looked good. 

Kulusevski for example, had horrid end product at Juventus. Came to Spurs, and Conte immediately improved his output. 

It's an easy argument to make though. You had shit attackers, then you sold some, and replaced them with shit attackers. 

Pep fucking Guardiola couldn't stop Sterling from skying the ball from 3 yards once a fortnight. 

A fantastic goal from Wilfried Zaha was cancelled out by a lack of composure and a rare tactical error on Vieira's part. We really should be seeing games like that out.

Brentford made subs to counter our approach, we then made subs to counter their approach instead of kept pressing. As a result we went to a back three, defenders didn't know where to be, miskicks happened, Luka was awful, there was a lack of organisation and Brentford realised they could get something.

I felt annoyed afterwards that we had dropped points but the reality is in the last five minutes Brentford should have won with some of the chances they had. 

On a more positive note Cheick Doucoure is absolutely brilliant.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Lampard made no substitutions tonight which goes to show how poor the depth in our squad is. There are plenty of senior players on the bench

Interesting considering you have Liverpool on Saturday! 

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

A fantastic goal from Wilfried Zaha was cancelled out by a lack of composure and a rare tactical error on Vieira's part. We really should be seeing games like that out.

Brentford made subs to counter our approach, we then made subs to counter their approach instead of kept pressing. As a result we went to a back three, defenders didn't know where to be, miskicks happened, Luka was awful, there was a lack of organisation and Brentford realised they could get something.

I felt annoyed afterwards that we had dropped points but the reality is in the last five minutes Brentford should have won with some of the chances they had. 

On a more positive note Cheick Doucoure is absolutely brilliant.

Jealous you have Doucoure.

I've seen a clip of Zaha absolutely devastated at not taking 3 points bemoaning the lack of pressing and not killing the game off. Can't blame him as what you describe sounds exactly like what Brentford did against us. Concede, be on the back foot, Frank makes changes, Brentford step up a gear, come back into the game. 

At least it wasn't a 2 goal lead you foolishly lost! 

53 minutes ago, Stan said:

Jealous you have Doucoure.

I've seen a clip of Zaha absolutely devastated at not taking 3 points bemoaning the lack of pressing and not killing the game off. Can't blame him as what you describe sounds exactly like what Brentford did against us. Concede, be on the back foot, Frank makes changes, Brentford step up a gear, come back into the game. 

At least it wasn't a 2 goal lead you foolishly lost! 

They would have actually had to have created goal scoring chances throughout the game for this to be reality. Zaha's goal was great but he overestimates how good a job Palace done last night, Vieira on the other hand was spot on. We wanted it more and should have won.

Would also say that against you, we were terrible first half and couldn't get hold of the ball properly. Against Palace we controlled the first half and had our final ball been better then we'd have got a lot from it.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived