talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL Round 5 Matches - 30th Aug-1st Sept, 2022

football forum

1 hour ago, Danny said:

They would have actually had to have created goal scoring chances throughout the game for this to be reality.

We had chances. Olise hitting the post was a real hold your breath moment. The xG was low because the majority of them were on the edge of the box. 

Until the substitutes were made I can't recall Guaita making a save.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

We had chances. Olise hitting the post was a real hold your breath moment. The xG was low because the majority of them were on the edge of the box. 

Until the substitutes were made I can't recall Guaita making a save.

Your chances were long range efforts in the hopeful bracket rather than dangerous, nothing really tested the keeper outside of the Olise chance and even that was well covered by the keeper. On top of that you weren't really looking that dangerous in your build up play for most of the game unlike we did, the long balls we did in the first half were bypassing your defence consistently and what let us down there was a lack of end product from Mbeumo and Lewis-Potter, but nothing is really mentioned about that post-game. You just never actually looked that dangerous and the chances you had looked better than they were because you managed to get the shot off from outside or near the edge of the area, but again never actually looked that troubling, never really looked like you got behind our defence and caused us problems.

Don't get me wrong you weren't terrible and with more time this season your attacking play may get better, but the narrative that it was 2 points lost for you rather than 1 point gained is just weird considering what actually happened over the course of 90 minutes.

I'm not even that bothered about you/Palace, the game was ultimately fairly close and I'll take a point away under the lights, but poor punditry drives me up the wall. How anyone could look at that game and think we were fortunate is mental, yet it was the first thing said in the studio.

8 minutes ago, Danny said:

Your chances were long range efforts in the hopeful bracket rather than dangerous, nothing really tested the keeper outside of the Olise chance and even that was well covered by the keeper. On top of that you weren't really looking that dangerous in your build up play for most of the game unlike we did, the long balls we did in the first half were bypassing your defence consistently and what let us down there was a lack of end product from Mbeumo and Lewis-Potter, but nothing is really mentioned about that post-game. You just never actually looked that dangerous and the chances you had looked better than they were because you managed to get the shot off from outside or near the edge of the area, but again never actually looked that troubling, never really looked like you got behind our defence and caused us problems.

Don't get me wrong you weren't terrible and with more time this season your attacking play may get better, but the narrative that it was 2 points lost for you rather than 1 point gained is just weird considering what actually happened over the course of 90 minutes.

I'm not even that bothered about you/Palace, the game was ultimately fairly close and I'll take a point away under the lights, but poor punditry drives me up the wall. How anyone could look at that game and think we were fortunate is mental, yet it was the first thing said in the studio.

Up until the substitutes it felt like it was effectively a 50/50 game separated by a moment of brilliance from Zaha. People around were saying phases such as "Game of Chess", "Even Sides" etc.

What you're saying about Mbuemo/KLP flattening your momentum in the final third we're saying about Edouard who looks too weak to play up top at the moment. What you're critical about us for we're critical about you for in the term that we didn't feel threatened until the final 20 minutes.

I havent heard any punditry. It feels like we dropped points but only because of the timing of the goal. The reality is given the barrage we sustained in the end you probably should have won.

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Up until the substitutes it felt like it was effectively a 50/50 game separated by a moment of brilliance from Zaha. People around were saying phases such as "Game of Chess", "Even Sides" etc.

What you're saying about Mbuemo/KLP flattening your momentum in the final third we're saying about Edouard who looks too weak to play up top at the moment. What you're critical about us for we're critical about you for in the term that we didn't feel threatened until the final 20 minutes.

I havent heard any punditry. It feels like we dropped points but only because of the timing of the goal. The reality is given the barrage we sustained in the end you probably should have won.

50/50 in chances yes because neither side created, but in terms of controlling the ball, controlling the flow of the game, trying to be aggressive, we were definitely the better side in the first half. I can only really think of one or two chances in the first half where you could have created something but didn't, whereas we were constantly firing balls down the wings and getting behind your defence or winning corners.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Lucas said:

From your point of view, I think you'll kick yourself a bit you never gave yourself a couple more opportunities to run at our centre backs but making it a bit of a basketball game would probably have suited us more.

Yeah I said this earlier in the thread. Two games in a row we've gone 1-0 up and sat on it. Then the second it's level again we show some ambition and almost nicked it with Gray's offside goal or chances for Onana and Patterson. It's frustrating and while it's in no small part down to us being second best at keeping and moving the ball, we need to be more brave in those circumstances.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Interesting considering you have Liverpool on Saturday! 

Yeah I have some respect for Lampard "making a point" by making no changes. And to be honest I'd rather have seen a knackered Iwobi and Onana see that out than give Gomes or Allan the last ten minutes. But these players are going to be spending a lot of time without the ball again on Saturday lunchtime and it might come back to bite us.

1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Wonder if the media and pundits will have an inquest into Chelsea like they did with us? Now that they've lost the same number of games as we have.

Even if they are not the Chelsea forums are.

I'm less 'Tuchel out' at this point and just realising we did not get the necessary rebuild just sticking plasters so as soon as James is out and Jorginho does not have either Kante or Kovacic alongside him we are vulnerable.

• Subscriber

If the energy is the same as the last match I can see us running Newcastle ragged. But, as was said earlier, this isn't Bournemouth and we've got to stay sharp and focused. I can't see us losing tonight at home but I'd like to see us keep the previous match tempo going.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

If the energy is the same as the last match I can see us running Newcastle ragged. But, as was said earlier, this isn't Bournemouth and we've got to stay sharp and focused. I can't see us losing tonight at home but I'd like to see us keep the previous match tempo going.

Apparently it will be a miracle if we win tonight!

17 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Thought you'll were doing well on the whole? Other players out as well?

ASM and Bruno are out to save them for possible returns against Palace,  Krafth is out for the season,  Wilson is out for about 3-4 weeks and Shelvey is out until the new year.   

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Saint-Maximin is a real handful, was decent against us, Trent is going to have to defend well tonight

• Subscriber
Just now, Happy Blue said:

Saint-Maximin is a real handful, was decent against us, Trent is going to have to defend well tonight

It's a good thing Trent doesn't have to defend someone who is injured but you're right had he been on the field we'd have to be a lot better defensively because he's quick and likes to take on defenders.

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

It's a good thing Trent doesn't have to defend someone who is injured but you're right had he been on the field we'd have to be a lot better defensively because he's quick and likes to take on defenders.

Thats a bonus then if he's not playing 👍

Tonights team, Alvarez and Haaland start, De Bruyne rested very interesting 

20220831_184700.jpg

• The topic was unpinned

Archived