talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ange Postecoglou - Confirmed as Spurs New Manager

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad they've got this over with fairly quickly. I was anticipating a summer like two years ago where we would identify managerial targets who'd hold off committing until Spurs decided on a manager.

It's a pretty horrid time to be walking in to the Spurs role with the contract situation of Harry Kane and the largely poor recruitment for 3+ seasons. I'd consider top six a success given the size of the transition.

• Subscriber

He surprised me what he did at Celtic tbh,  but really the Celtic & Rangers managers are dime a dozen nowadays, Celtic are still looking for another Jock Stein and Rangers looking for another Walter Smith.

Postecoglou might have thought the Hoops board were misers when it came to spending out a lot of money for players then he is in for a shock as it seems Levy is just as bad.

At the end of the day I wish him well but the only manager who came from Scotland and hit the big time was SAF, Gerrard thought he was the Bees Knees after winning a title with Rangers and moved onto Aston Villa and we all know what happened next.

2 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Postecoglou might have thought the Hoops board were misers when it came to spending out a lot of money for players then he is in for a shock as it seems Levy is just as bad.

According to Transfermarkt, over the last four years Spurs have a net spend of €441.93.

Celtic have a net gain of €3.74.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

According to Transfermarkt, over the last four years Spurs have a net spend of €441.93.

Celtic have a net gain of €3.74.

I've always classed the Hoops as a selling club, buy a player on the cheap, he does well then they flog him for millions, the only player that even SAF tried to buy was the great Henrik Larsson but that guy stayed loyal to Celtic and would not budge.

• Subscriber

'Spurs want quick appointment & their interest in Postecoglou will ramp up'published at 10:40

Evening Standard chief football correspondent Dan Kilpatrick

There’s definitely something to the speculation. Ange Postecoglou is definitely in the mix for the Spurs job, but we don’t know how many other people are in the mix as well. They’re keeping their cards quite close to their chest on the manager hunt.

Postecoglou is definitely among them, but that’s not to say he’s the leading candidate or is going to get the job.

After Saturday’s cup final, when the season ends for Celtic, he’s someone Spurs would like to have serious talks with.

This is all going on behind the scenes at the moment. After Saturday’s game I would expect it to ramp up. I think Spurs want to make an appointment fairly soon and this will accelerate fairly quickly when Celtic’s season comes to a close.

What Postecoglou is doing at Celtic is definitely being noticed in England. His reputation is growing and there’s also a sense that this summer might be his moment.

There’s a feeling Postecoglou is maybe ready to test himself in the Premier League. It’s fair to say there would be some reservations among fans about the fact the Scottish Premiership is at best a duopoly and Celtic are expected to win. The European record as well, the fact Celtic haven’t punched above their weight in the Champions League, is another concern.

But people have seen his work, his style of play and ability to bring people together, his charisma, his personality, his feelgood vibes, and thought that’s something we would like a piece of.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/celtic

I really like Ange, he’s had to work himself up into this position the hard way and he really comes across as a great and intelligent person, which is what the Spurs players will need to buy into him long term. Especially the younger players.

Clearly a big worry is asking a manger to jump from the old firm to Spurs, arguably the biggest jump one of their managers has made over the last 10/20 years considering the expectation at Spurs will be to finally win silverware. Can’t say I’ve seen enough from him to say if he could do that, but if Frank were to ever leave I’d love him at Brentford.

• Subscriber

I can’t believe people are raving about him… what am I missing?! He’s nearly 60 and has managed at a low level all of his career. 

Well done on winning one of the worst leagues in world football. 

14 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

I can’t believe people are raving about him… what am I missing?! He’s nearly 60 and has managed at a low level all of his career. 

Won titles in Australia, Japan and now Scotland. Managed Australia national as well. Surely if there’s any time for him to be given a shot at something bigger, it’s now? 

5 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Absolutely terrible observation. He worked his way up from semi-professional coaching, he has succeeded everywhere since in leagues with relative parity, and put the cap back on a resurgent Rangers team. His teams play an aesthetic style as well. 

Not everyone gets nepotism to the top of the pyramid. 

The way I see it, Spurs have been through Nuno, Jose and Conte, three guys that arrived at the club with a certain level of prestige, especially the latter two, but yet all three were very defensive-minded coaches setting the team up, and for the majority of this period, making them absolutely dire to watch.

I'm not saying this is true but I'd argue that team spirit at Tottenham has not been the same since Poch because of what these three managers brought to the team.

Personally I don't see why it can't hurt to get Postecoglu in, even if he's not coming with steep history or a big name.

I've not watched much of Celtic in terms of how they play, but by all accounts its attractive. But the one thing that comes across to me when he speaks and conducts himself, he sounds like a genuine good bloke that players would play for.

Sometimes all you need is a manager that the players really want to get behind and go that extra mile for and he seems like that kind of bloke. If he can create that kind of environment at Spurs, he'll get more out of them.

But it has to be said, regardless of who they go for, whilst Levy is still there I don't think Spurs will ever quite make that jump to be a regular contender like they've intended.

So I don't really know much about him other than basically any Australian who likes football seems to love the fucking guy. So I went on YouTube and watched some interviews with him and... I gotta say... he comes off great. If he's as good as Aussies & Celtic fans say he is... and he's got that personality that just seems like exactly what you'd want from a manager tbh - I think he'll be a hit in England.

But I hope Spurs give him time the way Celtic did when he first joined. Because they're in a rebuild and I'm pretty confident they're losing Kane... so it's going to be an even bigger rebuild. He didn't have the best of starts at Celtic, but he rebuild that side.

Having said that, rebuilding this Spurs and working with Levy is a bit different to rebuilding a Celtic side that has financial dominance over all but one club in their league (and even then, I think Celtic are in a better financial position than Rangers) - the competition is tougher and he's not going to be at a club that has dominant resources compared to the competition.

The problem for any manager going to Spurs, is that they are a manager going to Spurs.

Last seasons Top 5 could be taking those spots in 1 order or another for a few seasons.

Chelsea will expect to bounce back to Top 6, as a minimum.

IMHO, you're then, at 7th, not 6th, when looking at Spurs? Villa? Brighton? Latest top half challenger?

• The title was changed to Ange Postecoglou - Confirmed as Spurs New Manager

Archived