talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Conor Coady Joining Leicester City

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Very pleased with this if this goes through. Would point to us playing a back 3, but he's the kind of leadership along with quality we need with Evans going/being crocked permanently. 

Amartey's gone. Hopefully Faes will improve alongside Coady.

13 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

God the years are going by fast if this bloke is stepping down a league already.

Funny you say this, about 5 minutes ago I was thinking about how the passage of time is all fucking weird now that I'm older. I remember when a year seemed like ages ago. Now months pass by and it feels like fucking nothing and before I know it, we're more than halfway through a year that I feel like started only a couple of weeks ago.

I feel like I'm too young to be feeling like this, yet here I am. Old as fuck, I suppose.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Funny you say this, about 5 minutes ago I was thinking about how the passage of time is all fucking weird now that I'm older. I remember when a year seemed like ages ago. Now months pass by and it feels like fucking nothing and before I know it, we're more than halfway through a year that I feel like started only a couple of weeks ago.

I feel like I'm too young to be feeling like this, yet here I am. Old as fuck, I suppose.

I remember in my 20s someone once told me that when you get to your 30s the years go really quick.

Now I'm there it is absolutely true!

It takes me a while to work out how old I am when someone asks me now. In fact when I heard someone else say how old I was my first thought was am I? I don't remember getting to that age.

Just now, Honey Honey said:

I remember in my 20s someone once told me that when you get to your 30s the years go really quick.

Now I'm there it is absolutely true!

It takes me a while to work out how old I am when someone asks me now. In fact when I heard someone else say how old I was my first thought was am I? I don't remember getting to that age.

The other day (it could have been a month ago for all I know, tbh) someone asked me how old I was... and I had to think "am I 34, 35, or 36" and I then thought "fuck, that's probably not a great sign" and just told them 34.

• Subscriber

Positives:

- Leader and one of the very best, it seems to be the big selling point with him, I think he comes in and probably immediately takes the captaincy. I think for any other deficiencies there's no doubting he's going to address that issue to a degree.

- Viewed as a coup for the Championship. I'm already reading a lot of stuff from other clubs fans in this league moaning about us buying the league and whatnot. Big dick energy.

- Moves being made before July. This is alien to me. I was dreading another scenario where it just trickled on and nothing happened. It's become apparent in the past 48 hours that we're getting a lot done, and this is good.

Negatives:

- I do think we've overpaid. £8.5mil I read earlier when Wolves were expecting about 2/3. The caveat though is while that is quite a big chunk more, in the context of our overall spend it isn't going to kill us.

- Four year contract to me is a bit excessive for a player that could quite easily be discarded in a year as a starter. Wolves and Everton have chosen not to bother and they're two clubs I think the club will be wanting to compete with in a year should we get promoted, so be braced for the possibility that you have another Praet like situation.

Overall I think, good signing, but it is slightly short-sighted as well. The important point to remember though is we're going to probably make 8-12 signings this window, it's a real overhaul, so I think you'll have to judge our signings in a wider context rather than on an individual basis. What I mean is I think we can take the hit of giving Coady 4 years if we don't go and do the same thing with about 5 other players.

• Subscriber

Really surprised Leicester have paid £7.5m+ and Wolves have managed to negotiate to that price when it was pretty public knowledge that they were willing to allow a £4.5m option to buy when they loaned him to us last summer, and it was heavily rumoured that Everton might even be able to negotiate a fee lower than that if they got desperate and changed their mind later in the window (probably bullshit rumours though in light of this deal).

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Positives:

- Leader and one of the very best, it seems to be the big selling point with him, I think he comes in and probably immediately takes the captaincy. I think for any other deficiencies there's no doubting he's going to address that issue to a degree.

- Viewed as a coup for the Championship. I'm already reading a lot of stuff from other clubs fans in this league moaning about us buying the league and whatnot. Big dick energy.

- Moves being made before July. This is alien to me. I was dreading another scenario where it just trickled on and nothing happened. It's become apparent in the past 48 hours that we're getting a lot done, and this is good.

Negatives:

- I do think we've overpaid. £8.5mil I read earlier when Wolves were expecting about 2/3. The caveat though is while that is quite a big chunk more, in the context of our overall spend it isn't going to kill us.

- Four year contract to me is a bit excessive for a player that could quite easily be discarded in a year as a starter. Wolves and Everton have chosen not to bother and they're two clubs I think the club will be wanting to compete with in a year should we get promoted, so be braced for the possibility that you have another Praet like situation.

Overall I think, good signing, but it is slightly short-sighted as well. The important point to remember though is we're going to probably make 8-12 signings this window, it's a real overhaul, so I think you'll have to judge our signings in a wider context rather than on an individual basis. What I mean is I think we can take the hit of giving Coady 4 years if we don't go and do the same thing with about 5 other players.

I think if you're playing with 3 CBs, you can probably get 3 good years out of those 4 years minimum. And that's assuming that you end up straight back in the prem next season, imo.

Very surprised actually someone like Sheff Utd didn't go for him. I think he's still capable at PL level and it's a coup for Leicester in this division.

Best part of £18m spent which is a fair whack but they now have quality at CB and CM. 

I think the outlay is justified providing they go up. Will be interesting to see when the likes of ourselves and Southampton show our cards.

Not sure how much I rate this signing. Feel like his better years were at Wolves and now he’s been on the decline, could be wrong though.

Good to have experience alongside Souttar and Faes though.

• Subscriber
On 28/06/2023 at 22:04, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think if you're playing with 3 CBs, you can probably get 3 good years out of those 4 years minimum. And that's assuming that you end up straight back in the prem next season, imo.

The worry for me there is we anchor ourselves to a system where we play 3 CBs. Wolves fans have flagged this up as something that held them back.

I do think Coady comes in and takes the captaincy immediately. I'd not normally favour giving somebody the captaincy as a new signing but given the scale of rebuild and level of dog shit served up, particularly last season where I think we named seven different captains, many of whom had their hearts set on moves away it's completely justified.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It feels Leicester are signing players for the now and then worrying about the problem of replacing them once they're promoted. Which is fine, as long as the owners are aware they'll have to spend heavy again next summer.

Think that's part of my concern. It feels a bit short-termist which is partly what got us into this mess in the first place. Coady's deal however is only 3 years, and not the 4 I had been told.

Coady is such a natural captain mind you. His introductory video - I know they don't mean anything in the grand scheme but he's as good a talker as I've heard from a player of ours. I can see why he's regarded as such a positive influence. After the last 12 months it wasn't going to be hard to come in and win fans over but we've gone from one extreme to the other on that evidence. Makes a change from bullshitter Rodgers who we were apparently so lucky to have talking the club down at every opportunity (he's already at it outright lying about us in his Celtic conference).

Archived