Do you use public transport?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use public transport?

• Regularly
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

• Subscriber

I used to when going to downtown Vancouver, whenever I went for like a Hockey or Soccer game, ocassionally when we did a special dinner. Once Covid hit I just didnt want to anymore. Started as a safety precaution but now I just dont like taking it unless I need to. Its horribly inefficient here but I still did it to avoid parking and driving downtown but I cant be bothered anymore. Maybe I just dont like people. Also in the last year or so theres been alot more stabbings and incidents on public transit...that certainly hasn't helped anything. 

Its funny whenever I go west in the States like Portland or Seattle Ive used transit to get around and it just reminds me everytime how shitty our systems here are. In the downtown core we have a skytrain (essentially faster monorails kinda or an above ground subway ish) and thats fairly fine to use but only for traveling in the downtown area, forget about any suburbs or if you have to connect with a bus. 

I used to when I was back in the UK. And also when I first moved to the US, the Bay Area had good public transport so why wouldn't I use it. In Southern California... not so much. I did when I lived in downtown San Diego, but only very rarely (the trolly doesn't go to too many places) and only when it would actually be convenient.

The US is pretty shit for public transport tbh.

• Upvote 1

Situational for me really.

If I generally need to get out and about, I'll use my car for time and convenience reasons (can also be just as cheap as public transport as well, which says a lot).

If I'm out with work and having drinks and the like, or my car is not worthwhile, I'll catch the bus (there's only one bus operator where I am, while the train is pointless as I'll need to drive or get a bus to the train station anyway when it's more convenient to just drive or get a bus the whole way).

1 minute ago, nudge said:

You monster!

Soon to be 3 cars! Eldest will be 16 soon and when he's ready to drive we'll have no choice.

Pisses me off that this country wastes money by the trillions meanwhile we can't ride 20 minutes by train to downtown. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

In that public transport in my country will get you killed in all kinds of horrible ways.  The entire public transport sector of government is corrupt to the core,  you have more chance surviving a russian roulette game. 

This is unrelated to public transit but in South Africa do they still have the cars with the flamethrowers to deter carjackings?

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This is unrelated to public transit but in South Africa do they still have the cars with the flamethrowers to deter carjackings?

nope, this country is a gangsters paradise, where the criminals and government are in lockstep.   

the constant delays and riots when Jacob Zuma is expected to "have his day in court" is indicative of tribalism, this tribalism is manifest in the division within the ANC where it's a political power play between the Zuma cabal and the rest of the ANC.

as for security and cars with flamethrowers, as mad maxish the idea is, the country is barely hanging on to even make vehicles a feasible asset.   We average 4-6 hours of loadsheddding at minimum per day and as high as 12 hours when the grid is strained due to maintenance or sabotage.