talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(CL) Group F - Matchday 1 - Tuesday 19th September, 2023

football forum

Excited. Nervous about getting hammered but excited.

The San Siro is the most fitting place for our return. Our game with Inter Milan 20 years ago is etched in the memory of fans of that generation more than any other game since. 

I was there back then with 10,000 others. I will take that night to the grave. 

I can't go back by conventional route since we lost all our loyalty points in protest at Mike Ashley. Going from being in the top 5% of supporters after 20 years on the road to being thrown scraps for home games with the glory hunters. I haven't been able to go to any home game this season as I've lost the "ballot" on both occasions applied. The clubs box office is appalingly ran as we saw at the weekend when there were many empty seats despite plenty of us being denied a ticket. 

But still when I watch Newcastle United walk out again in the San Siro on the telebox tonight it will be very emotional. 

It might not be as authentic as it was back then with Bobby Robson and Alan Shearer, this era has no outside credibility because of the Saudi source, but in our local community, our little collective, our story and our history it will still carry enormous weight tonight.

Howay the lads.

1-0 Dan Burn please.

• Upvote 4

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Honey Honey said:

Excited. Nervous about getting hammered but excited.

The San Siro is the most fitting place for our return. Our game with Inter Milan 20 years ago is etched in the memory of fans of that generation more than any other game since. 

I was there back then with 10,000 others. I will take that night to the grave. 

I can't go back by conventional route since we lost all our loyalty points in protest at Mike Ashley. Going from being in the top 5% of supporters after 20 years on the road to being thrown scraps for home games with the glory hunters. I haven't been able to go to any home game this season as I've lost the "ballot" on both occasions applied. The clubs box office is appalingly ran as we saw at the weekend when there were many empty seats despite plenty of us being denied a ticket. 

But still when I watch Newcastle United walk out again in the San Siro on the telebox tonight it will be very emotional. 

It might not be as authentic as it was back then with Bobby Robson and Alan Shearer, this era has no outside credibility because of the Saudi source, but in our local community, our little collective, our story and our history it will still carry enormous weight tonight.

Howay the lads.

1-0 Dan Burn please.

Good luck and fair play for being on the straight and narrow. It's easy for outsiders to resent your fans (and City, Chelsea) etc for enjoying the success and accuse you of signing up with the Saudis or whatever.

I don't know why it's so hard for us all to agree that the ownership of some clubs is clearly unsavoury but it shouldn't be held against the fans of the club who still enjoy the actual football aspect.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MUFC said:

The details not in the clip are frightening. 

Chased by machete wielding gang. Their Newcastle shirts cut off them. Stabbed three times. His son smashed across the head with a baton.

Italian police trying to claim it has nothing to do with football.

Thankfully sounds like the bloke will be OK. 

When some of the lads out there get drunk and angry about this it could be quite hostile and toxic tonight.

40 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

The details not in the clip are frightening. 

Chased by machete wielding gang. Their Newcastle shirts cut off them. Stabbed three times. His son smashed across the head with a baton.

Italian police trying to claim it has nothing to do with football.

Thankfully sounds like the bloke will be OK. 

When some of the lads out there get drunk and angry about this it could be quite hostile and toxic tonight.

Another CL match in Italy, another act of violence against visiting fan - and this time, a wildly disturbing story.

And tbh it’s not always isolated to matches in Italy. There was the Roma fan who badly attacked a middle age man at Anfield, giving him a brain injury.

If these were English fans, I can’t help but think there’d be talk of bans. I love Italian football and Italy as a country, but their football culture really needs to clean up.

And shame on the police in Milan. Had nothing to do with football? Then why’re they cutting off Newcastle shirts? It’s a serious crime, it should be taken seriously.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Another CL match in Italy, another act of violence against visiting fan - and this time, a wildly disturbing story.

And tbh it’s not always isolated to matches in Italy. There was the Roma fan who badly attacked a middle age man at Anfield, giving him a brain injury.

If these were English fans, I can’t help but think there’d be talk of bans. I love Italian football and Italy as a country, but their football culture really needs to clean up.

And shame on the police in Milan. Had nothing to do with football? Then why’re they cutting off Newcastle shirts? It’s a serious crime, it should be taken seriously.

English media love to hate on English fans abroad. Wouldn't surprise me if they jump on saying Newcastle fans were to blame or instigated it blah blah blah.

Hope the Newcastle fan makes a recovery from the stabbing. I'm all for rivalry but never to the point of violence or stabbing or at worse, fatality. It's not on and FIFA/UEFA need to be much harder on it across all countries. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, N U F C said:

I didn’t think that was particularly great if I’m honest but you can’t knock a point at the San Siro.

I think it shows how good teams like Inter Milan are,  and maybe we are still well short of this level.   To many expected to go to the San Siro and keep the ball all day,  the reality is that Milan have far more players experienced at this level.    

The defensive effort was good though. 

Good result. Below average performance.

We've not got going in attack. 5 games in a row really. Yet to find our rhythm and the right combination. Will no doubt be a different line up again on Sunday with a few changes. I'd start Barnes, Wilson and keep Murphy in the side.

Fitness of Isak and Bruno looked bad out there towards the end. 

We miss Joe Willock's energy.

• Subscriber

Thought Newcastle were pretty bad but in a very new and tough environment that's a good result - I think I'd about give them the edge to go through in 2nd. I expect Mbappe to carry PSG through this quite comfortably and Dortmund just look miles off it to me. The weakest of the four.

• The topic was unpinned