talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

If he's available and still looking for opportunities in football then I'm surprised Newcastle are not looking to match any of his demands.

They probably could but if I had the choice of working with Real Madrid or Newcastle I'd definitely opt for the former. 

45 minutes ago, Stan said:

They probably could but if I had the choice of working with Real Madrid or Newcastle I'd definitely opt for the former. 

What he perceives as a lucrative business opportunity will be different to football nerds like us.

What are Real Madrid's finances like at present? I know they're not as bad as Barcelona but if he's working with one arm tied behind his back and payments to him become an issue then its not the appealing job it was five years ago.

8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

What he perceives as a lucrative business opportunity will be different to football nerds like us.

What are Real Madrid's finances like at present? I know they're not as bad as Barcelona but if he's working with one arm tied behind his back and payments to him become an issue then its not the appealing job it was five years ago.

He's probably more of a football nerd than any of us, tbh - if he can end up saying in his career he was a successful director of football for Liverpool and Real Madrid, that's pretty massive. And maybe, despite the potential options for money, he'd have other reasons for not wanting to go to Newcastle.

It makes sense for Real Madrid to want him, considering their financial status has slipped a little bit after COVID. They're a bit like us in that they're definitely a very wealthy club, but financially they can't really compete with the likes of City, PSG (and now Newcastle) - but are expecting to compete.

And his time with us has honestly been brilliant - I'm a bit worried for what happens after he's gone. His replacement has got really massive shoes to fill.

Unlike last time he’s done something like this and been fined, this time Klopp’s received no punishment for telling Tierney to his face he’s a biased idiot that doesn’t understand football.

Sadly he’ll probably still officiate our matches, but I don’t think he should be allowed to.

At least not after a few months refereeing in league one.

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Unlike last time he’s done something like this and been fined, this time Klopp’s received no punishment for telling Tierney to his face he’s a biased idiot that doesn’t understand football.

Sadly he’ll probably still officiate our matches, but I don’t think he should be allowed to.

It is odd he didn't get punishment. I agree with what your assistant said this morning though - players make mistakes and get punished, managers make mistakes and get punished. Referees do it and almost escape punishment and are back reffing barely a few days later in some cases. The lack of culpability after a series of errors across the officials is what angers me the most. I can accept that people will make mistakes, but to not learn from them is where the issue lies. And that goes beyond Tierney or any other individual on the pitch - it's a heated environment which requires split-second decisions (VAR should rectify that but misuse of it needs to be worked on). It's the lack of guidance from above them i.e. Mike Riley at PGMOL. He's not fit to lead that team and there needs to be a change in how officiating is done in this league/country. While I agree Tierney made mistakes at the weekend, he's not the only one and there is a bigger picture here. He'll take the flak while his seniors hide away. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This is an absolute joke that Klopp had escaped punishment. 

22 minutes ago, Storts said:

This is an absolute joke that Klopp had escaped punishment. 

I’m surprised that he has. The only thinking behind it is not wanting to incense Klopp or Liverpool even more after that shambolic Kane decision. 

50 minutes ago, Stan said:

It is odd he didn't get punishment. I agree with what your assistant said this morning though - players make mistakes and get punished, managers make mistakes and get punished. Referees do it and almost escape punishment and are back reffing barely a few days later in some cases. The lack of culpability after a series of errors across the officials is what angers me the most. I can accept that people will make mistakes, but to not learn from them is where the issue lies. And that goes beyond Tierney or any other individual on the pitch - it's a heated environment which requires split-second decisions (VAR should rectify that but misuse of it needs to be worked on). It's the lack of guidance from above them i.e. Mike Riley at PGMOL. He's not fit to lead that team and there needs to be a change in how officiating is done in this league/country. While I agree Tierney made mistakes at the weekend, he's not the only one and there is a bigger picture here. He'll take the flak while his seniors hide away. 

Fully agree with that.

It blows my mind Mike Riley is now top of the referees in England. He was a referee that was at worst corrupt and at best completely incompetent.

He should never have had the job and under his watch the officiating standards have massively slipped. He deserves the sack and hopefully that’ll be the last any of us ever hear about the fucker.

Tierney deserves a lot of flak though. He’s like Atkinson, fatty Moss, and Coote - utterly shite.

• Subscriber

I think it may be time for refs to take a bit of stick post match when their decisions are reviewed. It's odd that when more than just the coaches and players see the bad decisions that these refs don't get any stick at all. Yes its a high pressure job but it's also a job that demands a level of accuracy and fairness to it that is currently not its state. We can all throw a sympathetic towel to them saying it's a hard job but realistically they've been given tools to help them with this job and they haven't really used them well. Whether it's the game against Spurs or any other game in the league, refs are getting away with not performing right. 

I'd also wager that if they did start to get fined and evaluated for their performances we'd start to see a lot of the poor quality refs disappear. The only big question to answer is "who is going to evaluate them?". 

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve got two games against Arsenal, Brentford & Palace this month. Who the fuck is playing up top? 

Jota is our only fit forward. Origi & Minamino both out and Bobby has Covid. We are going to see that useless lump of shite Ox playing up there aren’t we. Fucking shambles this squad is. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Rick said:

We’ve got two games against Arsenal, Brentford & Palace this month. Who the fuck is playing up top? 

Jota is our only fit forward. Origi & Minamino both out and Bobby has Covid. We are going to see that useless lump of shite Ox playing up there aren’t we. Fucking shambles this squad is. 

'Shambles'. You don't half go over the top.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

We are missing Mane, Firmino, Salah, Minamino and Origi... take 5 players of that standard from any side in the world and they'd be fucked.

Even City don't have the sort of depth to cover a loss like that. 

13 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

We are missing Mane, Firmino, Salah, Minamino and Origi... take 5 players of that standard from any side in the world and they'd be fucked.

The drop off from Salah, Mane & Firmino is too much. 

My point is that we know that the Africa cup of nations happens, yet even if those back ups were fit I still don’t trust them that much. Origi is good for a goal late on in a game, but other than That he’s not very affective. Minamino is talented, but goes missing in games a lot of the time & Ox is just a waste of space. 

Salah is 30 this year, Mane is 30 this year, Firmino is 31 this year….we need to start thinking of the future, as two of those three are less affective than they once were for us. We tried to flog Origi in the summer and Minamino was out on loan last season so don’t tell me that they are sufficient back up players. 

Meant to put up a title challenge on peanuts. Klopp can’t and won’t prioritise either of the domestic cups because we don’t have the depth to sustain those year in year out. The League and Champions League are what we are going for, yet we seem to just constantly stand still while our rivals strengthen year after year. When we will see a squad refresh?? The pressure on the likes of Salah to stay fit and play 99% of our important games year in year out is becoming a pisstake. And I won’t be told otherwise, as far as I am concerned anybody still buying this “we can’t afford it” line from the owners has their heads buried deep in the sand. 

Edited by Rick
  • Upvote 1

Feels like a pivotal time for Liverpool. If the title win is not going to prove to be a 1 off. The front 3 are in need of being gradually or quickly replaced. To me it seems Jota has been a good addition. But it does feel like they need perhaps 1 more highest possible quality replacements each of the next 2 summers. We know all about what Man City have & what they'll throw around whenever they get chance to. Chelsea similar to a certain extent. And there is always that chance that Man United may start becoming much more serious again.

It seems like it really could go either way. Remain a regular title contender, if not winner, or slip back to Top 4 being as good as it gets.

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

We do ;):ph34r:

GK:- Ederson, Steffen, Carson

FB:- Cancelo, Walker, Zinc (Ake & Laporte cover)

CB:- Dias, Laporte, Stones, Ake, (Walker & Fernandinho cover)

MF:- Gundogan, De Bruyne, Rodrigo, Fernandinho, Palmer (Foden, Bernardo, Greelish, Zinc cover)

AT:- Sterling, Mahrez, Foden, Bernardo, Greelish, Jesus

Edited by Happy Blue

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Not really but he's about 7th choice in the forward positions. You really need to stop comparing Liverpool to Man City. 

I can absolutely compare us to who we are told we are fighting against for the league title.