talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

47 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I have heard that FSG is in serious talks to buy the NHL's Pittsburg Penquins.  So will that put Liverpool a little bit down the pecking order if FSG has to spend money on their sports franchises? 

If they do it like they've done the Red Sox and the Penguins, they'll try to get the Penguins self-sustaining and use money they generate for their hockey team.

But considering the money in English football compared to hockey (not just in the US, but literally anywhere), I doubt we'd move down in the pecking order to them. I know the Red Sox are the most important team to them since they're Boston located and... their company's named after their stadium... but look at the new TV the league just signed and all the money in the CL. We're probably very very profitable for FSG even though owning a sports team is historically something rich people did more for prestigue/fun than making money.

• Subscriber

Just breaking apparently FSG has unanimously approved the bid for the penguins. The rumoured price had been around the 900m usd mark, we'll see what happens here. Was also talk about (at least in NA) a subscription based streaming service they could put together to watch all their teams now. Could make some sense.  

4 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Just breaking apparently FSG has unanimously approved the bid for the penguins. The rumoured price had been around the 900m usd mark, we'll see what happens here. Was also talk about (at least in NA) a subscription based streaming service they could put together to watch all their teams now. Could make some sense.  

Can they do that with the streaming service? I suspect that'd probably violate the terms of the respective league agreements that probably have sold off the streaming rights to various markets. Like with FSG and Liverpool, Peacock have the streaming rights to those matches in North America - I think an FSG service that only shows Liverpool for football would be in breach of that agreement.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Can they do that with the streaming service? I suspect that'd probably violate the terms of the respective league agreements that probably have sold off the streaming rights to various markets. Like with FSG and Liverpool, Peacock have the streaming rights to those matches in North America - I think an FSG service that only shows Liverpool for football would be in breach of that agreement.

Thats a good point I never really thought about when Id read this bandied about but that makes sense. NHL rights would be in the same boat as well. No idea how that would all work out. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Ray Kennedy has passed away. One of our biggest legends ever, RIP. Shankly's last signing, and in 8 seasons won: 5 league titles, 3 European Cups, 1 League Cup, 1 UEFA Cup, and 1 Super Cup.

RIP. His goal v Bayern Munich in the European Cup semi final always stands out to me when I was learning about those 70s and 80s sides.

Around 3 minutes here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...