talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Terry Venables

This is very sad news to hear that he has died at 80. I didn't even know he had been ill. Venables had a successful managerial career at club level, but I think that he will be most remembered for his spell as the manager of the England national team. Euro 96 is a tournament that will forever be remembered by England football fans and what an exciting run England had that summer. I only have fond memories of him as a football manager. My thoughts go out to his friends and family at this sad time.

R.I.P. Terry Venables

• Administrator

Shocked me yesterday. Sad loss to football. For anyone who's around 30-35 now, Euro 96 may have been the first tournament they properly watched, and Venables was so close to making history as England manager. That squad was brilliant.

Can't believe he was 80. RIP El Tel. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Honey Honey said:

Always liked him. Iconic of that era. Can't believe he was 80. Feels like life is going fast.

Yeah, I can't believe he was 80 either. Life is moving quicker than I like it to move.

RIP though. Euro 96 was the first tournament I can remember watching and I remember it pretty vividly.

Heard of this news yesterday and loved hearing all that he accomplished for the International game and England as well as his involvement with the Tottenham Hotspur club.

I never saw him manage, but from what was said about him yesterday he was a very well liked manager and man in the sport of Football.

May he RIP.

53 minutes ago, Hotspur Hannah said:

Heard of this news yesterday and loved hearing all that he accomplished for the International game and England as well as his involvement with the Tottenham Hotspur club.

I never saw him manage, but from what was said about him yesterday he was a very well liked manager and man in the sport of Football.

May he RIP.

Sad news and again might he rest in peace and am sure he will be missed. Still for the bolded part: a size smaller would have done it too, what he accomplished for International football was going out with England in the semis, that's pretty unimportant for the International game.

3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Sad news and again might he rest in peace and am sure he will be missed. Still for the bolded part: a size smaller would have done it too, what he accomplished for International football was going out with England in the semis, that's pretty unimportant for the International game.

Context is key. We had just failed to qualify for USA '94, some of the friendlies were embarrassing, Venerbles was getting stick for having favourites and ignoring players in form (Ferdinand, Le Tissier etc), and the media were absolutely after those players for the Dentist Chair incident in Hong Kong.

Terry Venerbles galvanised that squad, drifted away from the 4-4-2 that was synonymous with club football and had Gazza connected a little more in the last five minutes, we would have won the whole thing.

10 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Context is key. We had just failed to qualify for USA '94, some of the friendlies were embarrassing, Venerbles was getting stick for having favourites and ignoring players in form (Ferdinand, Le Tissier etc), and the media were absolutely after those players for the Dentist Chair incident in Hong Kong.

Terry Venerbles galvanised that squad, drifted away from the 4-4-2 that was synonymous with club football and had Gazza connected a little more in the last five minutes, we would have won the whole thing.

She said for the International game, as in the game played internationally rather than the English NT.. Now, I'm asking you do you really expect a German like me being adoring reaching the semis with  England as an accomplishment for the INternational game in that sense, knowing Germany won 3 and 4 WC titles?

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

She said for the International game, as in the game played internationally rather than the English NT.. Now, I'm asking you do you really expect a German like me being adoring reaching the semis with  England as an accomplishment for the INternational game in that sense, knowing Germany won 3 and 4 WC titles?

13 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Context is key.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

I mean considering Germany winning stuff seems normal and England winning stuff seems abnormal, I think the way we played and reaching the semis is a big accomplishment for a side that failed to qualify for a world cup 2 years prior and other than 1 world cup victory... doesn't really go around winning things.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean considering Germany winning stuff seems normal and England winning stuff seems abnormal, I think the way we played and reaching the semis is a big accomplishment for a side that failed to qualify for a world cup 2 years prior and other than 1 world cup victory... doesn't really go around winning things.

1 hour ago, Hotspur Hannah said:

May he RIP.

@The Palace Fan's fans second post has reminded me I'M no native speaker and therefore my understanding of the term "the International game" might have been lost in translation. If you meant English International matches rather than football as a game played Internationally both on league as well as on NT scale, I wholeheartly apologize for my unappropriate comment.

• Upvote 2

I suppose I should have clarified that better in saying the International game for England. From the brief few minutes yesterday, I heard about Mr. Venables prior to the Tottenham game they seemed to rave about his accomplishments and what he did for the English Club. 

My boyfriend added a few things, but the man was before his time as he mostly remembers as a younger kid his accomplishments with England as an Assistant and nothing from when he was the manager of Tottenham. He also told me he slightly remembers him managing Leeds late in his career.

Edited by Hotspur Hannah

20 hours ago, Stan said:

Shocked me yesterday. Sad loss to football. For anyone who's around 30-35 now, Euro 96 may have been the first tournament they properly watched, and Venables was so close to making history as England manager. That squad was brilliant.

Can't believe he was 80. RIP El Tel. 

Hand on heart, nothing has come close to Euro '96 hysteria in this country.

It was my first tournament on the England rollercoaster and from Gazza's goal v Scotland, smashing the Dutch and Stuart Pearce's penalty v Spain, I don't think we have ever been able to beat such iconic moments.

That was our tournament to win, no toxic social media involved, the country was just united as one and the heartbreak was the worst.

All down to El Tel. He found a system that suited the players and allowed the mavericks like Gazza to do their thing when many wanted him out for his behaviour. 

Class bloke and I feel really gutted for him taking over us at a time he was on  ahiding to nothing really. Always says something about someone when people don't have a bad word to say about them.

R.I.P El Tel.