talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 37 - 11-15th May, 2024

• Subscriber

In the Premier League's slight defence, at least the title still goes down to the last day regularly.

Aside from that though, yeah it is a predictable load of shite. Man City going on a run of 23 wins and 2 draws from the start of December to the end of the season would be a notable achievement in isolation but it genuinely happens every season now. It's boring and uncompetitive.

The Premier League is defined by the richest clubs getting richer and richer and becoming more efficient in using that money to lock in their long term advantages. City have made an absolute art of it now. This is it until Pep leaves.

Couldn't have asked more of Arsenal this season either realistically. Or Liverpool in some previous seasons. Until Pep goes or something else upsets the apple cart then this is the league.

Tbh I get the complaints when City win the league by 100 points, 98 points, but in 20/21 they won it on 86 points, this year it will be 91, yes you have to be very good, but you don’t always have to be perfect to win it.

If Arsenal hadn’t of fucked around in December losing to Fulham, West Ham and Villa they‘d probably have won the league. You can talk about how good they were from January onwards, but thats how good you have to be to win the league. That goes for pretty much every team that has won the league, they are all that good. The only time we have ever seen monstrous levels of performance were the 3 times Pep and Klopp pushed the 98/99/100 point mark.

What makes Pep great is his ability to get City to do this every year, that is phenomenal. But their points tally this year? The only people Arsenal have to blame are themselves for dropping silly points early in a title race.

The league feels like it has moved on a long way from the days when a side like West Ham could potentially cause a final day panic. The same way QPR very nearly did on Aguerooooo day.

I think Arsenal had a fairly slow start, or dropped the odd point here or there. It felt significant at the time. Even when there were 3 in the race, most knew City were the 1 side that would certainly be in it right at the end.

But.. I am looking forward to Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, PSG, Inter, Juventus, or whoever. At Villa Park. With that music playing.

Definitely Pep is a very significant part of why City do so well. Yes, they chucked crazy money to get there. But you only need to look at Man United & Chelsea to see how it does not necessarily have to mean winning lots. If it isn't spent wisely. On the right players. To suit the right tactics. He has to playing a really crucial role in keeping City winning through multiple rebuilds. His departure is the light at the end of the tunnel. For some..

1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

The league feels like it has moved on a long way from the days when a side like West Ham could potentially cause a final day panic. The same way QPR very nearly did on Aguerooooo day.

I think Arsenal had a fairly slow start, or dropped the odd point here or there. It felt significant at the time. Even when there were 3 in the race, most knew City were the 1 side that would certainly be in it right at the end.

But.. I am looking forward to Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, PSG, Inter, Juventus, or whoever. At Villa Park. With that music playing.

Congrats on CL football next season

17 hours ago, Storts said:

It’s not bizarre in the slightest and you of all people should get it. If you winning a pretty meaningless end of season game meant Everton or Man United won the league there’s not a chance you’d want that to happen. 

Tribalism is one of the best things about football, without it it’s incredibly dull. 

You still had a chance at a Champions League spot. It wasn't meaningless at all. There's no way you wouldn't be arsed about missing out on a chance at a CL spot if last night was against any other side.

12 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

If Liverpool were playing Luton last night instead of Aston Villa and they could catch and relegate Everton by beating you then you'd have supported them 100%. This isn't even a matter of opinion. Going off the way you post about Everton on here you'd push your own Nan into the Mersey to see us get relegated xD. God forbid we were ever in the hunt for a league title, your head would explode mate.

Don't act like this is a one way street.

I certainly wouldn't be actively supporting Luton. Would I be arsed if Liverpool lost and it was a meaningless game like Monday night was? No. If Liverpool needed to win to keep hopes of a Champions League spot alive, I'd absolutely be wanting Liverpool to win. 

I remember going to Anfield vs Chelsea when it was them and United going for the title. Liverpool's chance at a top four place had pretty much gone but I certainly wasn't supporting Chelsea during those 90 minutes. I probably debated it on the old forum at the time with people who were happy to see Liverpool lose. Was I arsed when Liverpool eventually lost? Not at all but you'd never see me actively supporting another club against my own.

The only time where the thought of 'i hope we get beat' has ever crossed my mind is when Hodgson was manager because I hated the cunt.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

You still had a chance at a Champions League spot. It wasn't meaningless at all. There's no way you wouldn't be arsed about missing out on a chance at a CL spot if last night was against any other side.

I certainly wouldn't be actively supporting Luton. Would I be arsed if Liverpool lost and it was a meaningless game like Monday night was? No. If Liverpool needed to win to keep hopes of a Champions League spot alive, I'd absolutely be wanting Liverpool to win. 

I remember going to Anfield vs Chelsea when it was them and United going for the title. Liverpool's chance at a top four place had pretty much gone but I certainly wasn't supporting Chelsea during those 90 minutes. I probably debated it on the old forum at the time with people who were happy to see Liverpool lose. Was I arsed when Liverpool eventually lost? Not at all but you'd never see me actively supporting another club against my own.

The only time where the thought of 'i hope we get beat' has ever crossed my mind is when Hodgson was manager because I hated the cunt.

Fair. I can see both sides of it. Spurs' season wasn't mathematically over before last night but at the same time, it's not like top four would have been in their hands or even likely if they'd have won. I'm sure Storts was over-egging how much he was supporting against his team. It's one thing saying beforehand "I'm not arsed if we win" or "I hope we get battered". Not many people can follow through with that emotion by the time their team kicks off. Spurs' crowd certainly didn't sound like they wanted to lose last night.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dan said:

The lack of competition is a direct knock on from Champions League qualification being celebrated like its a trophy.

Which has been the case for a while, to be fair.

Before Arteta got a hold of this Arsenal side, their aim was to finish 4th just for CL football and target it like a trophy too. 

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Spurs' crowd certainly didn't sound like they wanted to lose last night.

Errr… didn’t “Are you watching Arsenal” ring out onto the TV speakers? That definitely wasn’t City fans lol. Spurs fan did the Poznan at the end of the 90.

Ange was clearly pissed off about it in his post match conference and now if you go on reddit and check out the Spurs subreddit… quite a few of their fans have turned sour on him overnight.

23 minutes ago, Dan said:

The lack of competition is a direct knock on from Champions League qualification being celebrated like its a trophy.

@Stan is right - it’s been like that for a long time. It’s been like that since the early 2000s (and really with the TV money in the game in the 90s, the prem wasn’t that competitive either then - basically just 2 sides won it every year for an era bookended by Blackburn & Chelsea, 2 billionaire playthings at the time).

The financial incentive of the CL is a huge motivator - winning the EL doesn’t even pay out as much as just playing in the CL groups. And it’s club football’s best cup competition, which means it’s football’s best cup competition. The best players want to play in it, the best managers want to manage in it. It’s an overall good thing for the health of your club, if you want to be competitive, to qualify for it.

I think Villa fans will be absolutely delighted they’re in the CL next season and it’s got to be exciting going into it (is it their first time since it was rebranded the CL?) with a manager that has a good record in Europe.

• Administrator

Newcastle seem to be winning the midfield battle and exposing the Man Utd defence but then wasting the final ball. 

You can tell some of the Man Utd players lack confidence, they look a bit panicky. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Errr… didn’t “Are you watching Arsenal” ring out onto the TV speakers? That definitely wasn’t City fans lol. Spurs fan did the Poznan at the end of the 90.

Ange was clearly pissed off about it in his post match conference and now if you go on reddit and check out the Spurs subreddit… quite a few of their fans have turned sour on him overnight.

I saw two fans do the Poznan after City scored. There's always going to be some. Vast majority were giving the officials grief for any decision that went City's way etc.

• Subscriber

Is it allowed to question De Zerbi's reputation? I find it weird how it's just accepted that he's linked with jobs like Liverpool and Bayern. From what I can see, he took over a Brighton side on the up, completed their journey to European qualification, fair enough, but they've been average at best this season and slipped into the Bournemouth/Wolves/Fulham tier of mid table. Think he's pretty overhyped if that's allowed.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Is it allowed to question De Zerbi's reputation? I find it weird how it's just accepted that he's linked with jobs like Liverpool and Bayern. From what I can see, he took over a Brighton side on the up, completed their journey to European qualification, fair enough, but they've been average at best this season and slipped into the Bournemouth/Wolves/Fulham tier of mid table. Think he's pretty overhyped if that's allowed.

I think so. 

For all the praise they get, they don't really seem to move forward in the league. Credit to them for getting into Europe, and their transfer/recruitment model is decent, but De Zerbi will be questioned even more you'd think if they don't start next season well. 

7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

7 hours ago, Stan said:

I think so. 

For all the praise they get, they don't really seem to move forward in the league. Credit to them for getting into Europe, and their transfer/recruitment model is decent, but De Zerbi will be questioned even more you'd think if they don't start next season well. 

They’ve had a large number of injuries to key players this season, during key parts of the season, whilst playing in two competitions, whilst having to replace the great players they lost in Mac Allister, Caicedo and Trossard.

I think his work this season is more nuanced than just where they sit in the table, they just don’t have much star quality to push them over the line like they have had in previous seasons.

Brighton need to invest well this summer. They’ve let him down not replacing Trossard, Caicedo and MacAllister. I don’t understand why they didn’t invest more last summer when they had Europa as an extra selling point. Injuries have hurt them though, but the fact is that I think they are missing a proper bit of quality in the midfield and up front. Danny Welbeck is good up until a point, but they can do better. 

My problem with Brightons model is that it is built for constant turnover and not success.  I believe Bloom is a Mike Ashley with 200IQ and wants to profit off the club rather than actually be successful.   

I dont think this can be pinned on De Zerbi, they have missed Ferguson and Mitomo a long time now and they lost Solly Marsch early and Estupinan, all key players.

The game was a newcastle season in a nutshell and why I think a defensive overhaul is necessary.

https://www.sofascore.com/newcastle-united-manchester-united/DYBe#tab:details

Sofascore will show we should have beaten man united easily by a combination of a flakey defence, VAR and saves on the line, big blocks we ended up losing yet again on the road.  Xg had the game scored at 1.42 vs 2.48.

I can see three players off to Saudi arabia in the summer, trippier, almiron and wilson are going to be in the desert next season.

The only positive is Lewis Hall is very good, Joelinton is nearing his best and Anthony Gordon is fantastic.

• The topic was unpinned