• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England World Cup Squad

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Stan said:

Welbeck and Cahill xD xD

What's wrong with Cahill? Not much better than the utter average defenders that are currently going. Not to mention at least Cahill has experience and knowledge in playing 3 at the back. 

25 minutes ago, Stan said:

Walker, Maguire and Stones I think I'd be happy with as a 3 man defence. 

Young and Trippier as wing backs? 

You’re serious? 

Walker the best RB in the league shoehorned into the side as a CB? Nearly as daft as Kane taking set-pieces two years ago. 

I can see the logic in Cahill with his experience and Welbeck as he performs for England and is versatile. 

I don't seem the logic in taking 3 RB's though? Agree with @Smiley Culture why are we shoehorning Walker in as a CB when he is one of the top RB's going? Surely it'd be more beneficial to have another midfielder/attacker instead of TAA or Trippier.

Congrats to Cahill and Loftus-Cheek for making the plane to Russia. The latter has been a fav of the manager for a number of years and his inclusion is no surprise. Well done to @The Palace Fan who has championed his inclusion for most of the season.

I try not to get too involved in England these days, but I have to say, quickly running my eyes over the squad, I think this is the weakest number of defenders I can remember a England manager has been saddled with.

• The topic was pinned
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

You’re serious? 

Walker the best RB in the league shoehorned into the side as a CB? Nearly as daft as Kane taking set-pieces two years ago. 

nowhere near as daft as that.

Just suggesting it as an option anyway - considering Walker has done well there when playing with Man City so it's not like it's a totally new position for him. Not saying that's what it should be; more an option of what it could be. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

What's wrong with Cahill? Not much better than the utter average defenders that are currently going. Not to mention at least Cahill has experience and knowledge in playing 3 at the back. 

if it's based on form, I'd have had Mee or Tarkowski going instead. 

There's very little in that squad that will get you excited. Not much creativity in midfield is a worry, Wilshere should walk into that midfield easy and there isn't even a Lallana or Shelvey there instead of him. 7 midfielders being taken in total... The defence is pretty meh, can't say I prefer any of the CBs over Chambers. The bigger issue though is that we're gonna play 5 at the back but still don't know who with.

Looks like we're gonna have to figure everything out in the warm up games like in the previous 2 tournaments. That went well...

• Subscriber

From that fairly certain the team will be

Pickford

Walker       Stones   Jones

Trippier                                         Rose

Dier    Henderson

Sterling                           Lingard

Kane

• Subscriber

It isn't perfect, but it's better than I was expecting - and continues my belief that while Southgate is obviously no top manager, he at least has a significant advantage over plenty of his predecessors in that he actually does make some quite ballsy decisions. I'd never have backed him to drop Hart for example.

I think it's a bit defence heavy and you could probably lose one of Cahill or Jones (Cahill for me) for a midfielder, probably Shelvey.

I also would've gambled and taken a bit of a wildcard over Welbeck.

But on the whole I think he's got most of it right and is at least building around a certain style of play. I at least admire that. It's a lot more than you can say for previous England managers.

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Storts said:

Pickford

Dier    Henderson

Kane

He'll start Maguire over Jones. He seems to really like him.

16 minutes ago, Dan said:

It isn't perfect, but it's better than I was expecting - and continues my belief that while Southgate is obviously no top manager, he at least has a significant advantage over plenty of his predecessors in that he actually does make some quite ballsy decisions. I'd never have backed him to drop Hart for example.

I think it's a bit defence heavy and you could probably lose one of Cahill or Jones (Cahill for me) for a midfielder, probably Shelvey.

I also would've gambled and taken a bit of a wildcard over Welbeck.

But on the whole I think he's got most of it right and is at least building around a certain style of play. I at least admire that. It's a lot more than you can say for previous England managers.

Yeah I looked at the squad and thought "well that might not be the best to watch" but then I remembered it's England... it's been a long time since I've been impressed with how England play. At least I can see what Southgate is doing, even if it's not the most exciting blueprint.

I think out of that squad, I like the look of the XI @Storts posted as fitting Southgate's system judging by our last two friendlies (I think that's how he's going to have us play... mostly because those are the 2 most recent offerings of Southgate's England). But I think I'd swap out Rose for Young at LWB. But I can raise a counter point to that suggestion as well (see below). I think Young's been better this season though.

I would also have ditched Cahill for Shelvey, because Shelvey offers some different qualities to the rest of the English midfielders. But I actually sort of see the rationale behind bringing Welbeck. I don't think Welbeck is very good... but his record for England is actually pretty decent. There are some players that are just more effective on the international stage than they ever really are at a club level. And on the international stage where there's less team chemistry, I feel like actually having consistency in who you pick makes somewhat of a difference. Which is why I think Rose and Welbeck have been selected, even though on merit I don't know if they really deserve it. They're not bad players and they're players that have performed well for this England side with this England manager, despite the absence of form they can still be worth it for England as they've been a part of how this side has played. And they've played well for England in the past. And honestly, I don't think international football is as high of a standard as top flight football in most leagues... so having a bit more team chemistry than your opposition can actually be a decent advantage in the tournament.

I don't know how I feel about Southgate's football, like you say... he's clearly not a top manager. But I actually approve of his approach to managing the national team... and II can't remember the last time I thought that about the national team.

Dier and Henderson though? Hopefully Southgate has some balls and makes you lot more adventerous 

Kane

Lingard-------Sterling

Rose-------Loftus-Cheek----Dier---Trippier

Maguire---Stones---Walker

Pickford

35 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Key for England to win the world cup is to play Reuben Loftus-Cheek behind the striker. 

Let the English Zidane work his magic 

It's not going to happen without the Stockport Iniesta 

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Pickford

Dier    Henderson

Kane

A three man defence with Dier and Henderson in front of them against Tunisia and Panama. I cannot fucking wait.

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Dier and Henderson though? Hopefully Southgate has some balls and makes you lot more adventerous 

Kane

Lingard-------Sterling

Rose-------Loftus-Cheek----Dier---Trippier

Maguire---Stones---Walker

Pickford

I rate Henderson because I see him play a lot for us. Not a flashy player, but a good player and one with better vision and passing range than given credit for imo. Dier I don't think is great, but he does what he does and has a specific role in the side.

I like @Storts's lineup, the only changes I might make would be possibly Young in for Rose and maybe Maguire over Jones. Although whenever I think of Maguire, I can't get over the image of Salah absolutely destroying him... so I'm leaning Jones (ew, I'm advocating for United players).

Don't get me wrong, I like Loftus-Cheek. But this is the World Cup, it's probably better to go with an experienced player who's probably either captain/vice-captain with Kane and has gone on a nice cup run against good sides for his club this season while putting in some class performances.

Archived