The better place to talk football.

Group B Matchday 2 - 20 June - Portugal 1-0 Morocco, Iran 0-1 Spain

football forum

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Tactical masterclass from Iran so far.

I'm always hesitant to call parking the bus a tactical masterclass - but I will say that nobody can drop a bus's handbrake down quite like Carlos Queiroz.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm always hesitant to call parking the bus a tactical masterclass - but I will say that nobody can drop a bus's handbrake down quite like Carlos Queiroz.

I thought it was taken as read around here that parking the bus = tactical masterclass. :whistling:

Iran WC Champs 2018

• Administrator
Just now, RandoEFC said:

I thought it was taken as read around here that parking the bus = tactical masterclass. :whistling:

Iran WC Champs 2018

until they meet Argentina and Messi has to come to the rescue again

• Subscriber

I think Iran are doing the right thing here by just being ultra defensive. They have more points than Spain, this is their forte so why not use it and get out with a draw. They have to play Portugal next and after watching today's game they could literally walk away with a draw there too or maybe even a win.

1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

Can't wait til the world cup is expanded so we can have more games like this

And teams like the Dutch, Chile, Italians, and Americans get a shot at the cup? xD

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Blue said:

If Iran get a draw here I can see them progressing. Portugal - Iran is a nailed on 0-0.

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think Iran are doing the right thing here by just being ultra defensive. They have more points than Spain, this is their forte so why not use it and get out with a draw. They have to play Portugal next and after watching today's game they could literally walk away with a draw there too or maybe even a win.

Even if Iran manage to get 0-0s against both Spain and Portugal they'll be fucked if Spain beat Morocco (which they will). Iran, Spain and Portugal will all have 5 points, Portugal and Iran will each have a +1 goal difference and after beating Morocco, Spain will have a goal difference of +1 or better. After that because of the 3-3, Spain and Portugal will both dupe Iran on Goals Scored unless there is some other way that they sort the teams which I am unaware of.

Iran either have to sneak a win tonight or against Portugal, or grind out two 0-0s and hope Spain don't beat Morocco.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Even if Iran manage to get 0-0s against both Spain and Portugal they'll be fucked if Spain beat Morocco (which they will). Iran, Spain and Portugal will all have 5 points, Portugal and Iran will each have a +1 goal difference and after beating Morocco, Spain will have a goal difference of +1 or better. After that because of the 3-3, Spain and Portugal will both dupe Iran on Goals Scored unless there is some other way that they sort the teams which I am unaware of.

Iran either have to sneak a win tonight or against Portugal, or grind out two 0-0s and hope Spain don't beat Morocco.

I think we're giving Spain too much credit here and Portugal as well. Remember that when the earlier game started we all thought Morocco were going to get stuffed but infact they were on the other side of the coin creating chances with no proper finishing and putting Portugal under a lot of pressure. I don't think Spain can't overturn Morocco considering they have nothing else to really play for but nothing has gone to plan for most teams at this WC and its not entirely impossible for Iran to get a win in their last game either.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

mind boggling right, this group ??   iran MUST win in order to progress and spain go bye-bye.    45 minutes will decide this all ..................

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think we're giving Spain too much credit here and Portugal as well. Remember that when the earlier game started we all thought Morocco were going to get stuffed but infact they were on the other side of the coin creating chances with no proper finishing and putting Portugal under a lot of pressure. I don't think Spain can't overturn Morocco considering they have nothing else to really play for but nothing has gone to plan for most teams at this WC and its not entirely impossible for Iran to get a win in their last game either.

Not impossible but even with the double chance of either Iran beating Portugal or Spain failing to beat Morocco I'd still call that extremely unlikely. And to get that punchers chance they have to hold on here for 45 more minutes.

• The title was changed to Group B Matchday 2 - 20 June - Portugal 1-0 Morocco, Iran 0-1 Spain
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived