Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Willian Commits Future to Chelsea - Signs New 5-Year Deal

The rejected Barcelona bid was to be in excess of £50m.

I think he suits the way Barcelona play but is he on the same level as their other attacking players? 

This Barcelona board don’t even know what they want or what they’re looking for. It’s as if there are four or five different people working in the technical department and none of the four or five have ever met or spoken to each other in any way. Each of them is given money to spend and hey presto!

The talk in the Barcelona based sports media is that Chelsea haven’t said no to that amount (£50m)... Chelsea want a Barcelona player included in that deal and according to the press it’s either Rafinha (preferably) or André Gomes. 

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I just don't see how Willian is needed?

Maybe for depth I can see it but because other parts of the pitch need seeing to first, depth should come later.

Barcelona seem to have secured the signing of the young France international centre-back from Sevilla Clément Lenglet which really is a very good signing if it’s made official. 

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Maybe for depth I can see it but because other parts of the pitch need seeing to first, depth should come later.

Barcelona seem to have secured the signing of the young France international centre-back from Sevilla Clément Lenglet which really is a very good signing if it’s made official. 

So that means adiós Yerry? It probably will be the case if Arthur is signed due to too many non-EU players. 

Willian would definitely improve the depth of the squad but the problem for me is that he's now nearly 30. Buying/promoting players more for the future makes sense. Spending that amount on a player to offer depth for a season or 2 doesn't make sense to me. But at a cheaper price, yes. 70 mil for a player of his age is well excessive. 

Selling Digne and promoting Cucurella would make sense as would selling Gomes if Arthur arrives. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

So that means adiós Yerry? It probably will be the case if Arthur is signed due to too many non-EU players. 

Willian would definitely improve the depth of the squad but the problem for me is that he's now nearly 30. Buying/promoting players more for the future makes sense. Spending that amount on a player to offer depth for a season or 2 doesn't make sense to me. But at a cheaper price, yes. 

Selling Digne and promoting Cucurella would make sense as would selling Gomes if Arthur arrives. 

From what I read and listen to they’re basing next season on adding as much depth as possible for a big challenge for the Champions League mate. Yerry Mina should be going on loan although Barça have had very good offers for him to sell. 

There is still ongoing negotiations so I reckon we are just looking for a few million more. 

Would much prefer this then giving United another one of our bench players. 

47 minutes ago, Cicero said:

There is still ongoing negotiations so I reckon we are just looking for a few million more. 

Would much prefer this then giving United another one of our bench players. 

Bench player?

9 hours ago, True Blue said:

Love Willian but he is 30 in August, i would take the money.

Woah. Am I the only one who thought he was way younger?

36 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Bench player?

Out of favored player. 

18 minutes ago, Machado said:

nope!

thought he was mid 20s.

18 minutes ago, Machado said:

This happens to Fernandinho as well, most people think he is younger than he actually is. I think this happens because both spent a lot of time in ukrainian football before going to England.

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2018 at 18:13, Machado said:

Haha yeah most people were shocked when i said he was 30 in August, most people felt he was 27 at best.

Apparently they've put in another bid at £53,000,000.

Surely given his age it's worth real consideration?

A good player, but I doubt his value will increase and Chelsea are more than capable of winning games without him.

It's definitely going to go through in my opinion. Both the club and Willian seem to be pushing for this to happen, just a matter of the amount. 

How do Chelsea keep getting these massive fees? Even in this market, I can't fathom Willian being worth upwards of £50m.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How do Chelsea keep getting these massive fees? Even in this market, I can't fathom Willian being worth upwards of £50m.

Russian mafia are pretty good at negotiations. 

TYC reporting the Willian deal to Barca could be done in a matter of hours. Looks like we agreed a fee. 

This looks to be another of those odd Barça signings. 

20 hours ago, Cicero said:

55 million xD

Surely we won't say no this time ? 

Apparently you have xD

I presume they're saying no because they haven't put a contingency plan in place in case Willian was sold?

Personally I think you should invest the money in Zaha. He's just as quick, will play better around better players, and has age on his side. Cash plus two attacking minded young players not breaking in to the first team but are Prem quality would probably do it.

Zaha will probably cost 80m.

Surely Barce can find better value for money elsewhere?

21 minutes ago, Danny said:

Surely Barce can find better value for money elsewhere?

Agree, Di María is a similar player and he probably would cost much less. The problem is that according to some rumours, Valverde himself asked for Willian. He wants to use a 4-4-2 next season and he thinks Willian would fit the system in the right side of the midfield. 

If that´s true, I think Dembélé should ask his agent to find a way out of Barça. He won´t get much playing time.

8 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Agree, Di María is a similar player and he probably would cost much less. The problem is that according to some rumours, Valverde himself asked for Willian. He wants to use a 4-4-2 next season and he thinks Willian would fit the system in the right side of the midfield. 

If that´s true, I think Dembélé should ask his agent to find a way out of Barça. He won´t get much playing time.

Fuck Di Maria though, he's horrible to watch 90% of the time these days. Willian is a better option, although I'd personally only buy him to add squad depth and if he came at a cheap price rather than as a first teamer being purchased for silly money.

If you ask me, that 4-4-2 crap became monotonous, was one of the reasons for the Roma result and drop of form and needs to be scrapped for a 4-3-3, with both Dembele and once settled, Arthur, being part of the line up. An exciting team that would work well together for me. I don't get that 4-4-2 shit anymore. Yes, I understood it in the first half of the season last year due to the options available and the sale of Neymar followed by the early injury to Dembele, but it shouldn't be a future formation as it doesn't suit Barcelona's way of playing or the type of players at the club at all.

Very odd if this is true, Barcelona have no idea what they are doing these days. 

Willian is a player that would improve in an attacking setup, in a new environment and with better attacking players around him. The first few years I'd maintain he did a good job for us but the more I've watched of him over the years, I've grown impatient with him and would happily drive him to Barcelona myself especially for that kind of money.

2 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Willian is a player that would improve in an attacking setup, in a new environment and with better attacking players around him.

That is the case 100% if he goes to Barça.  Barcelona are an attacking setup (much to their detriment) and every attacking player is better than him there.  All the same it's a mistake unless it's as a depth signing which I would understand although extremely expensive for that.