talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Health and Fitness

football forum

• Subscriber

Any of you lot reckon you could do this? me, at my age NO but maybe if I was a young lad again.

Big Dog's Backyard Ultra: The toughest, weirdest race you've never heard of

download.thumb.png.b8049748dc7de4e22dfd28278ad2e09a.png

Think you can run 4.16666 miles in an hour? Probably.

Could you do it again the following hour? Quite possibly.

How about the hour after that? The legs might be feeling it by now.

What if you had to do it every hour for the next two or three days?

It's hard to say exactly how long you'll be running for - because this race only finishes when there's one person left standing.

The trouble is, some runners can keep going for quite a long time. The current record - held by a Belgian dentist - is 75 hours or 312 miles.

Welcome to Big Dog's Backyard Ultra, the toughest - and weirdest - race you've never heard of...

Big Dog's Backyard Ultra

• Wow 1

75 hours is actually surprisingly low. 

A well prepared and conditioned athlete, just a regular marathon runner, with a small group of people, even just his family say, could consistently run the 6.5km in about 20-25 minutes, then have his team provide energy goo, and cycle between that, toiletry needs and 30 minute naps. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Down to 69kg, which is the lowest I have ever weighed as an adult. 

Up to 14 &1/2 stone and the wife, daughter, and son are giving me jip, the daughter when she calls with wee Kaiden says to him "Go and pat your granddaddies baby in his tummy O.o

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47v82syp7ba558vaywcr

6 hours ago, Toinho said:

Why can’t the world just all use kgs… no idea how much that is John but it sounds light if it’s anything to do with the stones out the back of my house. 

Stones.

8 hours ago, Toinho said:

Why can’t the world just all use kgs… no idea how much that is John but it sounds light if it’s anything to do with the stones out the back of my house. 

neanderthal-man-working-with-stones-chip

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

With WFH I realised I was getting quite fat again. I've not been weighing myself but I've gotten in much better shape in just a month or so of trying. 

Still drink a beer now and then, and snack if I want to, but I've just been more attentive to my portion control and running/cycling 3-4 times a week. I've also been trying to go a lunchtime walk every day.

I can't abide any kind of diet or strict exercise, so I try and avoid any absolute changes or definite schedules. I think I almost need to kinda "fool" myself into being healthy. Not weighing myself is part of that, I think, though I can see from my face and ribs and the stretch marks on my thighs that I've shifted weight. 

I tend to drift up and down in weight every couple of years, but I'm always surprised at how easy it is to lose weight when I make a slight effort. I forget that I don't actually need to go hungry or do any backbreakingly intense exercise to stay in shape. 

That is, assuming the goal is purely just to go from slightly chubby back to slightly skinny. 

Edited by Inverted

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I tend to drift up and down in weight every couple of years, but I'm always surprised at how easy it is to lose weight when I make a slight effort. I forget that I don't actually need to go hungry or do any backbreakingly intense exercise to stay in shape. 

Wait till you turn 40 :ph34r:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Stan said:

@Cicero @Devil-Dick Willie

Think I've pulled my quad playing football today. Got ice on it. 

Any recommendations on recovery? Ice for a few days? Exercise or rest? 

Ouch. 

Compress and ice it for the next couple days. After that, run it through some quad stretching exercises after you warm it with a heating pad. Do this 3-4 times a day. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Ouch. 

Compress and ice it for the next couple days. After that, run it through some quad stretching exercises after you warm it with a heating pad. Do this 3-4 times a day. 

Thanks. Any recommended heating pads? Or just any kind online (Amazon)?

1 hour ago, Stan said:

@Cicero @Devil-Dick Willie

Think I've pulled my quad playing football today. Got ice on it. 

Any recommendations on recovery? Ice for a few days? Exercise or rest? 

It depends on how severe your quad injury is. Do you have mildish or a high level of  discomfort? Do you think the muscle is torn? Are you able to walk or run? 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, MUFC said:

It depends on how severe your quad injury is. Do you have mildish or a high level of  discomfort? Do you think the muscle is torn? Are you able to walk or run? 

I can walk. Definitely can't run and pulled up instantly.

I'm resting it now and I'd say it's between mild-high discomfort. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

They can take up to 6 weeks to recover from. I think you need to find out if it's torn or even ruptured. Look for a gap in the muscles as this is suppose be s sign of muscle tear. You're best getting it checked as you don't really know how severe it is. As Ciero said use some ice for now, remember the rule of an ice pack. Between 20-25 minutes per hour, not recommended any longer then this per hour. Also don't directly put the ice pack onto your quad. 

PS - Any pics of your quads? 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, MUFC said:

They can take up to 6 weeks to recover from. I think you need to find out if it's torn or even ruptured. Look for a gap in the muscles as this is suppose be s sign of muscle tear. You're best getting it checked as you don't really know how severe it is. As Ciero said use some ice for now, remember the rule of an ice pack. Between 20-25 minutes per hour, not recommended any longer then this per hour. Also don't directly put the ice pack onto your quad. 

PS - Any pics of your quads? 

I may have put the ice pack directly on to my quad earlier xDxD.  

I can't feel a gap in the muscle. I'm hoping it's just badly pulled.

No pics yet. We're not at that stage yet.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I've had issues with my right side of my groin since my football days, the only thing I can suggest is rest. You try and exercise before it's ready and it will just go again.

First time my groin went I was sprinting but after that it went literally from me turning round sharply on the field, it was like someone stabbed a knife in my groin it was that bad.

On 21/06/2021 at 07:15, Tommy said:

Down to 69kg, which is the lowest I have ever weighed as an adult. 

I weighed about there before I moved to the USA. xD I'd love to ride my bike more but there roads here aren't kind to cyclists, it's almost taboo

• Sad 1