Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Guardiola - Klopp - Mourinho

Who knows where this thread can go but for now it starts of with a curious look at how all three coaches have summarised their respective younger players they've taken on tour.

Each coach with his own particular method when in reference to their fringe or youth players.

Pep Guardiola

"I'm satisfied with what these guys have done on this tour.  We've come here with a lot of very young players and at the start only using one player from what would be considered the first team. I've had a great couple of weeks with these kids and all I can do is thank them."

Jürgen Klopp

"All these youngsters we've brought have been in great form. What a great preseason they've had.  I'm very happy with their progress."

Jose Mourinho

"We started with a lot of players that won't be in the team when the 9th of August arrives.  This is not my team, not half and not even 30% of my team!  Do you guys think Alexis Sánchez is happy with the players he's had around him?  We're here to survive and try not to end up with disastrous results."

• Upvote 1

Mourinho xD Those youngsters are gonna feel they are going on a field trip the way he puts it. Though he is being true but that isn't the way to build up their confidence.

Pep has it right. Setting a goal for the youngsters. Pre season will be more like an auditioning when you are letting a hope of certain amount of youngsters into the first team. 

almost as if these are the only 3 managers that matter in this league.

23 minutes ago, Stan said:

almost as if these are the only 3 managers that matter in this league.

I think it's about how three very high profile managers have handled a situation in similar circumstances when relaying their comments to the public arena.

Maybe also adding who may already be feeling pressure without the season having started or even displaying some sort of discord internally and sending a message to those in charge?

I think it's less the attitude towards the youngsters and more making a point about the lack of activity in the market. 

I don't think Guardiola has done all that much for the youngsters at Manchester City yet really (as in players that are not in the first team, Sterling is young but he was a first team player already) he is best at working with the already proven.

You do get the impression Mourinho is sewing the seeds for a departure, he doesn't seem to like staying anywhere too long and isn't he still living in a hotel in Manchester? 

I'd imagine a lot of those youngsters at United are looking at themselves and asking what their next destination for growth will be. I don't disagree with Mourinho's assessment of them because at the end of the day he sees the players in training and what they can and cannot do. However, throwing statements in like Alexis would want better players around him are completely unwarranted and do zero favors to a youth player's growth which will include knowing that a manager is backing you to do good things for the club.

58 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I don't think Guardiola has done all that much for the youngsters at Manchester City yet really (as in players that are not in the first team, Sterling is young but he was a first team player already) he is best at working with the already proven.

I don't even think Pep's developed Sterling as a footballer, to be honest, he's just found a way to get the best out of him. He looks great in that City team, but take him out of that and put him in, say, the England team, and he's exactly the same player we had at Liverpool.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I don't even think Pep's developed Sterling as a footballer, to be honest, he's just found a way to get the best out of him. He looks great in that City team, but take him out of that and put him in, say, the England team, and he's exactly the same player we had at Liverpool.

agreed. He's still the pacy player capable of a tap in after a fine team move but his end product hasn't developed much at all... i wonder whether anything would have been different if he'd stayed at Liverpool and developed under Klopp.

My guess is he'd be much better off but mainly because he'd have avoided the very damaging situation with Aidy Ward and the massive price tag that still leads to him getting a disproportionate amount of flack from football fans in the UK... 

I can't remember the source but I think Pep actually commended his off-the-ball work at drawing defenders out of position to create space more than his goal-scoring (or lack thereof) abilities. He's still not the person you want running onto an open ball with a chance on goal but if you watch his outside-the-box play its vastly improved from his time with us.

I had a feeling this would turn into 'the Sterling thread', even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual topic xD

Kloop my young players have done well

Guardiola.  My young players have done well.

Mourinho my young players are shit but they are all going anyway and i don't know why people pay to see them. Wow what a manager 

Edited by Gunnersauraus
  • Haha 1

Mourinho pulled the wool over some United fans' eyes when he was forced to play McTominay. 

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Pep Guardiola

"I'm satisfied with what these guys have done on this tour.  We've come here with a lot of very young players and at the start only using one player from what would be considered the first team. I've had a great couple of weeks with these kids and all I can do is thank them."

Jürgen Klopp

"All these youngsters we've brought have been in great form. What a great preseason they've had.  I'm very happy with their progress."

Jose Mourinho

"We started with a lot of players that won't be in the team when the 9th of August arrives.  This is not my team, not half and not even 30% of my team!  Do you guys think Alexis Sánchez is happy with the players he's had around him?  We're here to survive and try not to end up with disastrous results."

Two managers tow their clubs public line, one manager tells the truth.  It’s that simple

• Like 1

Let's be honest here, Pep would gladly flog off Diaz or Foden to bring in some expensive elite player. 

Barca were very fortunate he started off at the B team 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Two managers tow their clubs public line, one manager tells the truth.  It’s that simple

Whether Klopp and Pep are towing the public line or not, Mourinho speaking about his youth and fringe players in the way he did isn't just being truthful... It's a fucking cunts trick. 

Throwing his own players under a bus in a tantrum over not getting another £300m to spend on new ones is what constantly keeps getting himself sacked.

Maybe he should take note because lets face it, he's running out of rich or oil funded clubs he could go and manage. 

• Upvote 3

If City never bought wingbacks none of this would of happened 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Whether Klopp and Pep are towing the public line or not, Mourinho speaking about his youth and fringe players in the way he did isn't just being truthful... It's a fucking cunts trick. 

Throwing his own players under a bus in a tantrum over not getting another £300m to spend on new ones is what constantly keeps getting himself sacked.

Maybe he should take note?

Look I am not defending him. This is how he is. When clubs go after him they promise him things. When they dont materialize he tends to have no buffer in his dealings with the media. For me it's as my previous post he told the truth and the other two are saying what the club want to hear on their money making trips with 2nd n 3rd eleven players... its that simple.

Tell me what this trick is please?

• Upvote 1

What's funny is that United have spent more than City this summer 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Klopp the world most expensive cheerleader/motivator is at it again! Maybe if he continues with this positive feedback, his squad can finally start changing his pathetic finals record. We can only hope. 

Do you agree with Mourinho throwing youth and fringe players under a bus in front of millions of fans world wide? 

It says a lot about you as a person if the answer is yes.

4 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Look I am not defending him. This is how he is. When clubs go after him they promise him things. When they dont materialize he tends to have no buffer in his dealings with the media. For me it's as my previous post he told the truth and the other two are saying what the club want to hear on their money making trips with 2nd n 3rd eleven players... its that simple.

Tell me what this trick is please?

That could be the case and I believe there is decent sized element of truth to that.

Now I don’t tend to do it, but boy is it apt in this case on what follows...

The truth is in everybody and everybody wants to and has the ability to tell what at times is a cruel and blatant truth. Ethics and a particular upbringing can be culpable at times as to how you manifest yourself in these situations.

So what I’m saying is that the other two are being well manered and actually helping a situation surrounding young players while another has chosen to be a cunt in the way he expresses himself and to be honest, expressing yourself in a cuntish manner creates a situation that in cliché terms is called reaping what you sow which results in him being seen as a cunt and told he’s a cunt. Too much of unnecessary truth sometimes results in this and if you feel it’s justifiable one way, then I tell you that life is a two way street. :ay:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That could be the case and I believe there is decent sized element of truth to that.

Now I don’t tend to do it, but boy is it apt in this case on what follows...

The truth is in everybody and everybody wants to and has the ability to tell what at times is a cruel and blatant truth. Ethics and a particular upbringing can be culpable at times as to how you manifest yourself in these situations.

So what I’m saying is that the other two are being well manered and actually helping a situation surrounding young players while another has chosen to be a cunt in the way he expresses himself and to be honest, expressing yourself in a cuntish manner creates a situation that in cliché terms is called reaping what you sow which results in him being seen as a cunt and told he’s a cunt. Too much of unnecessary truth sometimes results in this and if you feel it’s justifiable one way, then I tell you that life is a two way street. :ay:

You seem to be worried about these poor young players who for you have had their feelings hurt by their manager. They have been given a wonderful opportunity to carve out a career for themselves at one of the top clubs in the world by performing at the needed level during a money making pre-season trip.

It seems, most, if not all have failed to illuminate themselves into the level that's needed, something young players at Klopps & Pep's can also be accused of over the games too.

I would humbly suggest those young players have chosen the wrong profession if they are going to feel hard done by when faced with negativity from any quarters as it is something professional footballers face everyday during their careers.

A more probable reason for those using the word "James Hunt" to describe the manager who told the truth is because of the hatred he has built up over the years with a huge number of fans who see this as an opportunity to fire their hurt n frustration at him caused by his serial winning.

Why else would you suggest a thread like this?

1 minute ago, The Liquidator said:

You seem to be worried about these poor young players who for you have had their feelings hurt by their manager. They have been given a wonderful opportunity to carve out a career for themselves at one of the top clubs in the world by performing at the needed level during a money making pre-season trip.

It seems, most, if not all have failed to illuminate themselves into the level that's needed, something young players at Klopps & Pep's can also be accused of over the games too.

I would humbly suggest those young players have chosen the wrong profession if they are going to feel hard done by when faced with negativity from any quarters as it is something professional footballers face everyday during their careers.

A more probable reason for those using the word "James Hunt" to describe the manager who told the truth is because of the hatred he has built up over the years with a huge number of fans who see this as an opportunity to fire their hurt n frustration at him caused by his serial winning.

Actually our youngsters faired very well over in the U.S., especially in the game against Utd ironically. 

Anyway, let's not pretend Mourinho threw his players under the bus (yet again) for anything other than purely selfish reasons. Mainly because he hasn't had another £300m thrown at his first team. I mean, I don't know... Maybe he could actually try coaching and developing some of these youngsters he's just basically called 'shit? 

24 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Really?

I would expect that his brutal honesty would’ve had its primetime after the game where he told them face to face that they were crap and that only 30% of that team had any value with 70% (practically the whole team) being useless. I would’ve also expected his truth to have been told to them in regards to a legend like Alexis Sánchez being such a superior player to them that they weren’t worthy of playing on the same pitch as him. I would’ve also expected him to have finalised the team talk by stating that not even HIS DIVINE TACTICAL coaching skills could do anything about the inevitability of defeat and that his powers were only great enough to stop a humiliation in terms of a scoreline. All his words...

All his words indeed!

All his words not only maybe (because we don’t know that part for sure) in the dressing room to their young selves, but that he also felt compelled that it would HELP THEM EVEN MORE to have millions of people hearing it from his mouth to the media (just incase they hasten to forget).

Give me a break!

I wont swear again in relation to his methods of “truthfulness“, just that I don’t buy demagoguery and pretentious bullshit. 

29 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Really?

I would expect that his brutal honesty would’ve had its primetime after the game where he told them face to face that they were crap and that only 30% of that team had any value with 70% (practically the whole team) being useless. I would’ve also expected his truth to have been told to them in regards to a legend like Alexis Sánchez being such a superior player to them that they weren’t worthy of playing on the same pitch as him. I would’ve also expected him to have finalised the team talk by stating that not even HIS DIVINE TACTICAL coaching skills could do anything about the inevitability of defeat and that his powers were only great enough to stop a humiliation in terms of a scoreline. All his words...

All his words indeed!

All his words not only maybe (because we don’t know that part for sure) in the dressing room to their young selves, but that he also felt compelled that it would HELP THEM EVEN MORE to have millions of people hearing it from his mouth to the media (just incase they hasten to forget).

Give me a break!

I wont swear again in relation to his methods of “truthfulness“, just that I don’t buy demagoguery and pretentious bullshit. 

Feel better now? ~ I am happy I flushed out the real reason you started this thread.

You got it real bad :ay:

• Haha 1