Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Are Germany Declining?


Recommended Posts

Whether they’re on decline or not is way too premature because there is plenty of talent in the pool. The simplest scenario is to blame the coach but there’s something deeper than that... It wasn’t all that long ago (just before the World Cup) that they were recognised as the best team in the world in every department and the favourites for victory.

Again... This isn’t just a depression, it seems to be something more and they are in danger of even being relegated with this new Nations League format which even though new, it’s there, it’ll be recorded and for a football nation like Germany that’s something more than just sensational and critical. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Players are getting older and retiring, their replacements aren't as talented, exhausted tactics from the coach, and players that should be elite for them often injured.

Players like Hector and Ginter maybe shouldn't be the starting fullbacks for instance. It's quite a change from Höwedes and Lahm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

Players are getting older and retiring, their replacements aren't as talented, exhausted tactics from the coach, and players that should be elite for them often injured.

Players like Hector and Ginter maybe shouldn't be the starting fullbacks for instance. It's quite a change from Höwedes and Lahm.

So how come sensations were the totally radical opposite only 5 months ago?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They lost some great characters after the 2014 World Cup and they continued to ride on that momentum in 2016. I imagine any of that momentum went just prior to the 2018 World Cup. The dark cloud with Gundogan and Ozil definitely didn't help.

I don't think keeping Joachim Low particularly helps. Giving a debut to a 27 year old seems odd at face value as well moving Reus out wide and playing Kimmick further forward.

That said, they have two years to get it right before the next tournament and i'm sure they will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Why was it a fluke?

They almost lost to Algeria and if Higuain and Palacio weren't bottle jobs, Argentina would of won. 

Aside the point, on paper they were far and away the best team in the tournament. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Cicero said:

They almost lost to Algeria and if Higuain and Palacio weren't bottle jobs, Argentina would of won. 

Aside the point, on paper they were far and away the best team in the tournament

If your Mum had bollocks, she’d be your Dad. 

They didn’t lose. They won. A bit like the whole “England had an easy route to the Semi-Finals” rubbish people spout. Yeah, it wasn’t exactly like we had to play Brazil, Spain, France and Germany before reaching the Semi’s but we still had to win games and we did. Something some people take for granted as this is the country that got convincingly beaten by Iceland two years before. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

If your Mum had bollocks, she’d be your Dad. 

They didn’t lose. They won. A bit like the whole “England had an easy route to the Semi-Finals” rubbish people spout. Yeah, it wasn’t exactly like we had to play Brazil, Spain, France and Germany before reaching the Semi’s but we still had to win games and we did. Something some people take for granted as this is the country that got convincingly beaten by Iceland two years before. 

Relax. I agree with you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

They almost lost to Algeria and if Higuain and Palacio weren't bottle jobs, Argentina would of won. 

Aside the point, on paper they were far and away the best team in the tournament. 

They didn't almost loose to Algeria they had 30 shots on goal. They could have lost to Argentina but for me it wasn't a fluke. Spain could have lost to Germany in the world cup before if Germany had got a panalty.  If Germany's win was a fluke then so are most.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m relaxed, I just never understand the premise behind “if’s” and “buts” in Football. It means nothing and often takes away from the achievements of teams. 

I never get the whole we desearved to win. If you don't score you don't win. You might have been the bettwr team but football is about putting the ball in the net.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Faithcore said:

No. It's really just the coach.

That’s impossible and one would be blind to not have the courage to see certain holes that have appeared with some players that have either left the international scene or have just gotten older.

In saying that, Germany do have a very good bunch of young players coming through but one must remember how long it takes for them to get the whole competitive international issue.

With that I’m not saying that Löw isn’t part of the problem though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

That’s impossible and one would be blind to not have the courage to see certain holes that have appeared with some players that have either left the international scene or have just gotten older.

In saying that, Germany do have a very good bunch of young players coming through but one must remember how long it takes for them to get the whole competitive international issue.

With that I’m not saying that Löw isn’t part of the problem though. 

I agree that we lost some important players over the last years but we still have a strong squad and what Löw is doing with that is just ridiculous. 

With a decent coach we'd still one of the best teams in the world. Not the best but one of the best.

Also we still have many very talented players coming through (as you mentioned) and therefore I really don't see fundamental problems.

Our main problem is just the wrong people in charge.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Faithcore said:

I agree that we lost some important players over the last years but we still have a strong squad and what Löw is doing with that is just ridiculous. 

With a decent coach we'd still one of the best teams in the world. Not the best but one of the best.

Also we still have many very talented players coming through (as you mentioned) and therefore I really don't see fundamental problems.

Our main problem is just the wrong people in charge.

Low just picks players now just on name and not on form,  Neuer should not be near the first goalkeeper position at the moment same as a few other players like Muller who has been off form for such a long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/10/2018 at 03:14, Gunnersauraus said:

I never get the whole we desearved to win. If you don't score you don't win. You might have been the bettwr team but football is about putting the ball in the net.

Being the better team is a better indicator of future success. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...