talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

• Subscriber

I don't get why we're wrong to be happy with the deal either. He's a good defender but we've taken in a world class fee for him when he's got 5/6 players at the club who can be considered better. We can strengthen from this deal. I'm totally convinced.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Dan said:

I don't get why we're wrong to be happy with the deal either. He's a good defender but we've taken in a world class fee for him when he's got 5/6 players at the club who can be considered better. We can strengthen from this deal. I'm totally convinced.

I think you're into something mate. I had that feeling about Coutinho and it turned out to be right. 

Though it does fall down to actions taken off the back of this to ensure the next season does not suffer even marginally.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Harry said:

I think you're into something mate. I had that feeling about Coutinho and it turned out to be right. 

Though it does fall down to actions taken off the back of this to ensure the next season does not suffer even marginally.

That's the example I've been using with people. I feel that Liverpool sold a very good, but not top drawer player, and most importantly not a great fit for a Klopp side, for absolutely mega money and in doing this, they did take a hit with the creativity but they strengthened by signing a top centre back and a top goalkeeper - thus improving them as a team without even really spending anything.

Liverpool are also excellent at taking in good fees. You sell off a lot of reserve players like Solanke and Ward and have made tens of millions in the process.

I see it as a bit of an opportunity for us to improve. Even if we do downgrade on Maguire (which is the likelihood) we could sign another quality midfielder, and a difference making winger - the real Mahrez replacement. Even though the defence is weakened a bit, we'd have strengthened other positions more which means that overall we come out of it a better team.

• Administrator

Confirmed gone. Off you go. 

Happy with the amount received. As have always stated! Some Utd fans think they've done well here and think they've taken our best player xDxD he wasn't even our best centre-back last season. 

• The title was changed to Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

Good player, an improvement on everything United have. Did they need him? Absolutely.

World class? Debatable for me, although I do think we have a habit of under valuing our own players in this country. But he has the capabilities to be up there for sure.

It's a great fee for Leicester, it really is. They can do so much with their side now with that. 2 or 3 really quality players to add to what they have.

That said, I do think Leicester will miss him. Time will tell I guess, but I think they will miss him more than they realise right now. Not just necessarily on the pitch either.

Have to say, United have paid out big on a CB and a RB. Right now, it looks a bit extravagant. But Wan-Bissaka and McGuire will transform that defence and in 2 years time, this could look like great buisness.

What a crazy crazy signing by Manchester United. They really are a genuine mess!

Under no circumstances is Maguire worth anywhere near that and beyond the amount, he’s not good enough for the requirements needed for Man Utd to be seriously competitive again and heal the chaos their signing policy has put them in over the past 6 to 7 years.

Bravo to Leicester City... This is how to do business!!!

• Subscriber
On 03/08/2019 at 15:55, Dan said:

Who on earth has suggested that you should be? I know the market has gone nutty but that fee for Maguire is still surreal even now.

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

now we can move on

Good luck with that. Expect every touch he makes to be scrutinised to fuck all over the internet including this place for at least the coming season. He literally has to be as good as Van Dijk to justify that fee and he won't be close, so expect Liverpool fans and anyone else who dislikes United (a lot of people) to dine out on this for a long time if he's anything less than perfect. Also if United concede a couple of goals in a match, even if neither player is still responsible, expect to read pages of "HuHuHuH £130m for Wan Bissaka and Maguire and they still cant defend for shit" and similar comments all over Twitter, and any forums or comment sections you read.

The last one is the media. If they decide an anti-United agenda will sell well early on this season like they did last season, expect to hear "£85m for Maguire" about 17 times a day on Sky Sports News, Match of the Day, any football podcasts you listen to, any pre-match or post-match discussion related to (or not related to) Man Utd fixtures, until Solskjaer gets sacked. Then you'll have a last few days of it being mentioned in the post-mortem of Solskjaer's failed tenure at Manchester United to finish off.

Then, we can move on.

• Administrator
On 03/08/2019 at 08:05, The Artful Dodger said:

Leicester fans seemingly happy their player has been sold 😂 ffs

On 03/08/2019 at 15:55, Dan said:

I don't get why we're wrong to be happy with the deal either.

25 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Who on earth has suggested that you should be?

There. Apparently we're not allowed to be happy that we've gained a massive profit on a player that can be replaced in good time and wasn't even our best central defender last season (ironically, it was an ex-Man Utd seasoned pro that was...).

I think Leicester fans should be ecstatic about the transfer in my opinion. That amount of money to invest in new players when he was never worth anywhere near that.

I do agree with Cicero though... This transfer has now made a good defender extremely expensive and a world class defender will be at a ridiculous price. It also pushes up the prices on top players further up the field. We have Leicester City Football Club to thank for this by accepting stupid money! >:(

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I think Leicester fans should be ecstatic about the transfer in my opinion. That amount of money to invest in new players when he was never worth anywhere near that.

I do agree with Cicero though... This transfer has now made a good defender extremely expensive and a world class defender will be at a ridiculous price. It also pushes up the prices on top players further up the field. We have Leicester City Football Club to thank for this by accepting stupid money! >:(

We have Man Utd to thank for offering stupid money, and all the other exceedingly bloated transfer fees that occurred before today!

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

We have Man Utd to thank for offering stupid money, and all the other exceedingly bloated transfer fees that occurred before today!

You guys pushed them all the way into committing this act of lunacy. ¬¬

If Leicester sign Tarkowski for half the fee then they’re sorted.

You look back at the Ferdinand/Vidic partnership, Maguire gets nowhere near that for me. This seems to be a Europa League/occasional CL side signs a Europa League/occasional CL level player.

Comparing fees, Maguire is nowhere near Van Dijk either 

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

You look back at the Ferdinand/Vidic partnership, Maguire gets nowhere near that for me. This seems to be a Europa League/occasional CL side signs a Europa League/occasional CL level player.

Inflation coupled with the nosedive of the pound mate. :ph34r:

Tarkowski at 40m is still stupid, even if they have 40 left over. Go overseas, still value to be had if your are scouting well. Wouldnt go for either Dunk or Tarkowski at this point as you're gonna get fleeced. Was reading today that Bournemouth are after 70m+ for Ake an all 😂😂😂 

Just glad we got the best CB in the world for that 75m. He's worth over double that now. Peanuts 😜

• Administrator
Just now, Rick said:

Tarkowski at 40m is still stupid, even if they have 40 left over. Go overseas, still value to be had if your are scouting well. Wouldnt go for either Dunk or Tarkowski at this point as you're gonna get fleeced. Was reading today that Bournemouth are after 70m+ for Ake an all 😂😂😂 

Just glad we got the best CB in the world for that 75m. He's worth over double that now. Peanuts 😜

Yep. That was totally predictable, mind. There was no doubt we were gonna go for him and also no doubt that Bournemouth would respond with that knowing we've just banked £80m.

I don't blame them for it. He's their asset, named a price and we've walked away. Fair's fair.

I expect we'll go abroad - we've been linked with Djene Dakonam from Getafe. Maybe @SirBalon can give us some insight on him :) 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Danny said:

If their fans are being serious with the Van Dijk comparisons then they're going to be very, very disappointed.

• Subscriber

We're not finished either by the way. Just getting started. We've got a number of players on very long term contracts so expect exact repeats when Chilwell, Tielemans and Maddison are linked away as well. Plenty more where that came from.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Yep. That was totally predictable, mind. There was no doubt we were gonna go for him and also no doubt that Bournemouth would respond with that knowing we've just banked £80m.

I don't blame them for it. He's their asset, named a price and we've walked away. Fair's fair.

I expect we'll go abroad - we've been linked with Djene Dakonam from Getafe. Maybe @SirBalon can give us some insight on him :) 

I'd rather we went abroad and had targets lined up from there than paid an absolute fortune for someone average just because they've played in the league before. I did want Ake but we need to just walk away at that price.

If we do go for a centre half and don't get one you've got to question why. We've had months to prepare for this.

I still ultimately want that winger. We've apparently used Ghezzal as a makeweight in the Praet offer (he's the one I expect we do sign this week) so hopefully this means we're going for a winger.

On 05/08/2019 at 12:33, Stan said:

Confirmed gone. Off you go. 

Happy with the amount received. As have always stated! Some Utd fans think they've done well here and think they've taken our best player xDxD he wasn't even our best centre-back last season. 

Impressive, you managed to get 3 times what he's worth xD :congrats: ..now sell them Vardy for 200million :ph34r:

Archived